3. Oasis of the Seas
Let me begin by saying I was so excited for this trip as it was my first RC cruise and I had very high expectations being that it was the Oasis of the Seas but I was not wowed at the outcome. Ship arrival: We drove down the night before and spent the night at a hotel about an hour outside Ft Lauderdale since the last cruise we ended up not being able to find a hotel until late outside Miami and it was terrible.Call ahead to see if there is room as we again ran into an issue b/c there was a baseball tournament in town and lots of the hotels for 4 exits were booked solid. We had no problem finding the Port or parking which was a plus. The baggage staff was not helpful and wouldn't even touch the bags to load until we tipped him which got me upset right off the start. Lines to check in were VERY long. First you go through an ID check just to get into the main check in lines. We waited about 40 min to get our ID's checked and to go through metal detectors, then we were moved into waiting lines for official check in. These lines were long and people kept cutting each other off when an opening became available. My one daughter had a spelling error in her name which the travel agent assured us was fixed, not. This caused a huge delay in getting her a new card and then it never worked so we ended up waiting in line on board to get it fixed again. Rooms: We had 2 ocean view rooms and 3 inside rooms. All were very nice, clean and had plenty of storage. Bathrooms were well lit and lots of mirror space. Beds were VERY comfortable (as my husband learned and took advantage of). Room staff was in the hallways introducing themselves and making everyone welcome. On board: After dropping our carry ons in the rooms we headed out to explore. The ship gives great first impressions and we were wowed from the start. Central Park in itself is amazing and definitely a favorite hang out place (when you can find a seat), the promenade is impressive but stays busy and the shops were overpriced. BRING LANYARDS for your pass card as it will be the first purchase you make if you don't. You need these everywhere you go. The solarium was beautiful but as we found out later in the week, the no under 16 rule was not enforced and there were teens constantly walking through as well as kids with their parents. The Casino was fully operational from the start but the smoke smell was terrible even if you just passed through. The boardwalk was really cool with a rock wall, carousel, arcade, and water show. Our show was cancelled halfway through due to weather but what we saw was impressive. Our initial walk through was made in awe of this floating city. There are lots of pools (incl great kids pool) but on this size ship, seats fill quickly and if you want a seat you need to get out there early. There is no room in between chairs and forget leaving if you want to keep your spot. Dining: There are plenty of dining options on board the Oasis if you want to venture out. Since our group was so large, we stuck to the free options. The Windjammer was the go to place for breakfast, it was the same every morning and kind of boring but you won't go away hungry. The kids survived on pizza from Sorrento's for lunch (nothing impressive and slices are small but you can have unlimited amounts) and Wipe Out Cafe for burgers which is right by the mini golf, table tennis and basketball courts so it was easy access. I enjoyed the Park Cafe. You can build your own salad, get panini's, salad sandwiched and drinks. As a vegetarian, this was my go to place for lunches since it was easy to bring anywhere on the ship and meet up with the others. Boardwalk Dog house was also a favorite of the kids since it was on the Boardwalk and near the rock wall and arcade. Cafe Promenade had sandwiches but they weren't anything great and we didn't go back more than twice. Frozen yogurt up on the pool side was nice but it was very runny since the machine was constantly busy. Lines in the afternoon for any of these places were not too bad but the staff wasn't overly friendly and seating was extremely hard to find. We made reservations 2x at the SILK dining room and were surprised that the reservation lines were as long as the non reservation lines. Both times were had to wait to be seated and the dinner took over 3 hrs to complete. Our waiter Ajay was great but half of our party left the first night in order to make a 10:45 show (reservation was at 8:30). Food wasn't overly impressive except for the creme' brulee which was amazing. We were disappointed that, unless you had a drink package, only water or coffee was included with meals. Shows: Let me begin by saying that I did read the reviews of the shows before I went and decided to see for myself. The first show was CATS. It was terrible. Within the first 15 min, people were asleep, walking out and my party was begging to leave. At intermission, people couldn't get out of there fast enough and I didn't see anyone returning for the second half. You would think that RC would read these reviews and have canceled it a long time ago. The second show was the water show. This started our really cool but was cancelled due to weather. What we saw was great and they were supposed to reschedule but we were never notified of the rescheduled time. Also, they didn't check reservations, they just scanned cards as you walked into the seating which ended with tons of people standing who had reservations. People were saving seats and, even after the show started, wouldn't give up their saved seats to others who were standing. The third show was Frozen in Time ice show. We were late due to dinner running 3 hours so we had standing room only even though we had reservations. The show was okay but not impressive. The skaters for the most part were good but one of the main characters kept tripping and missing his mark. It wasn't a long show which was good since it was late at night and the kids were tired. The last was the aerial show. Honestly, we missed this one since it came at 10:30 on the day we were in Cozumel. We were so exhausted and based on previous shows, I didn't feel like we were going to miss much. Be aware that in order to get seating, you need to arrive at least 45 min before the show. If you are late, you will be standing regardless of reservations. Ports/Shopping: In a nutshell, if you aren't going to pay for an excursion and you don't want to shop or sit at the beach, DON'T GET OFF THE BOAT. Labadee, Haiti was our first stop and it was beautiful but the only thing to do if you didn't buy an excursion was to sit at the beach or go shopping in the market. If you go to the beach, BRING WATER SHOES. The beach was rocky and the coral very rough. Your feet will get cut up without the shoes. Also, seating is a premium so get off early if you want to claim a spot on the beach. If you go to the market, be aware that you will get hassled and mobbed by locals trying to get you to buy crafts. Most guests found out the hard way and got taken for a lot of money just to get away from the market. We decided to go back to the ship early to take advantage of the empty pools on board and we were glad we did as it poured after we boarded and sent everyone on land scrambling to get back to the ship. Falmouth, Jamaica was the second stop. Unless you have purchased an excursion, there is nothing to do but shop. There are no beaches and the entire area is gated off from the local community. If you venture past the gates be sure to travel in groups as we were approached to buy drugs immediately past the gates and harassed to take cabs to other areas. We did not feel safe so we returned to the gated area immediately. We had planned to take a cab to the falls and tour the island a little on our own but the falls were over 1.5 hrs away and everything else was just as far. I did shop extensively at DIAMONDS INTERNATIONAL as I had sat through 2 on board shopping lectures but that was an ordeal in itself. They didn't know what the special "beads" meant that we were told to wear as priority shoppers. The premium business cards to get the "best deal" were ignored. The discount coupons that were were told to hand to the sales people after we got our "best deal" to get a bigger discount, we were told they didn't accept b/c they couldn't take any more money off. When I told them I had decided not to buy the loose diamond they were pushing b/c it was more than I wanted to spend (I gave him my limit multiple times), the salesman became very rude and made nasty comments even though I was still purchasing a large sum of jewelry. I should have walked away but I didn't and that was my fault. (see my continued review under Cosumel) The rest of the marketplace was nice and they weren't pushy like in Haiti. We were disappointed though that we were unable to venture out to explore the island any further on our own. Cozumel, Mexico: This was our last stop and by far the best. NOTE: Wait to purchase anything other than cheap souvenirs in the other ports as the best deals were in Mexico and you can buy a lot more for your money and the people were ready to deal. We left the ship and took a cab to the main shopping area. The cabs are EVERYWHERE and the drivers were very friendly and reasonable. We shopped and picked up our free charms for our bracelets. Shopping was great and I really wish I would have waited to buy everything here. After my disaster with DI in Jamaica, I went to the DI in Cozumel to get my purchase straightened out (as directed by the on RC board shopping rep Jenna) The manager assured me I got the "best deal" but still could not accept the discounted vouchers we received on board which were supposed to be guaranteed. **Don't bother with these shopping lectures as you will waste your time and the rep can't follow through with promises for special deals even though I'm sure she is getting a good cut from the referrals. **ALSO, any big purchases made in Mexico we were told we could apply for the cash back program through the Mexican gov't. Participating stores can get you 8% cash back which will be debited to your card from the gov't after your purchase is verified. It is a promotional program to encourage purchases in Mexico. This would have been REALLY nice to know from our RC shopping rep as I could have gotten over $300 back for my purchases if I had made them in Mexico instead of Jamaica. I really feel like if RC has a shopping rep, they should give you this info since your experience is a direct reflection on their cruiseline. We were able to rent a cab to take us to the Mayan Ruins and the Cozumel Museum (a great hidden treasure). The cab charged us $80 total to take 4 of us to these places and waited at each place while we toured them. Our driver gave us lots of local info and was super nice. We spent at least 3 hours touring which was a super deal for the money and we got to see the real areas of Cozumel not just the tourist areas. I would go back here again without a doubt. Excursions: The only one we purchased was a sting ray experience in Cozumel which was scheduled to be 3 hrs and turned out to be a 30 min time with actual sting rays. Most of the rays were deep in the water so the younger kids couldn't swim down to see them and the one they used as the "experience" was passed for 10 min around to all the people who signed up and then the rest of time they were told to stay at the beach or they could go see the parrot inside. The kids were really disappointed. Children's clubs: To keep it simple, the teens had lots of activities going on and they made friends to hang with quickly. The activities were age appropriate and they freely participated. The middle age group 9-11 was not as good. We couldn't get the kids to stay b/c they were either bored or the other kids in the group were making the activities too loud or too aggressive. Our 10 and 11 year old begged us to let them do their own thing and not stay in the program. From what I saw of the younger kids programs, they kept them busy and they had a great time. We brought 2 sets of walkie-talkies and let the kids venture out in pairs and check in frequently. They were able to see and do more and they enjoyed setting their own activities. Nightlife: The lounges were busy ever night but we thoroughly enjoyed Dazzles the best. The band was great and the DJ was too. We had fun singing to the 80's and just being silly on the dance floor. We spent most evenings here and had a great time. Extras: We didn't buy the drink passes up front and we were glad. Each day they discounted them a little more and we ended up buying it halfway through for $175 (all inclusive pkg) The soda lines were always long and the machines were hard to find. Wait staff was scarce so if you wanted a drink you had to go get it yourself including the lounges. You can bring water bottles and fill them in the Windjammer or Cafe's. We did this so the kids didn't get dehydrated at the pool and so they didn't drink soda all day. The internet package was $10 per day PER device. We didn't purchase it thinking we would wait until we were in port but those we talked to said that it was very slow and the signal wasn't great. (DI in Jamaica and Cozumel have free wifi, Margaritaville in both ports also have it if you make a purchase) We never got to play mini golf as it stayed busy all day long and so did the rock wall. I regret not getting the kids on the Flowrider but we couldn't find out any info other than lessons which were expensive. It is FREE and you call for a time but we found this out too late. If you want to do the ice skating on board, be sure to pack jeans and socks as they are required. BINGO was $45 to play (way more expensive than Princess CL) and it was held at different locations on the boat. Children were permitted to play and it was distracting as they called out multiple times incorrectly. Disembarking: We chose early walk off as we had a long drive ahead of us and we were hoping to leave quickly. By 7:00 the lines for customs was over an hour long. There were only 3 agents for the hundreds lined up in the luggage claim warehouse. When you have thousands on board, you would think there would be more agents. Other than the wait, it was relatively uneventful. Parking was close and it was easy to exit the port. NOTE: it is $12 per day to park so be prepared for that additional charge as you leave the port. Summary: RCL set a record the week we were on board with the highest amount of guests and personnel on board at one time. Over 8,000! This was a huge factor when it came to the lines for dining, activities and I believe the lack of service. It was hard to find a seat at the pool, at dinner, at shows and for activities and staff was not helpful in enforcing rules on saving seats or on crowd control. I wish we could have really experienced the places we went a little more and not been restricted to the cruise line confines. The only comparison I have was to Princess cruises which was a smaller ship but the wait staff didn't have automatic gratuity so they worked for their tips and it showed. Overall, the ship was amazing but I think it was too big to accommodate the amount of people that were on it. I definitely will think twice about RC. The only saving grace was the people we met and the time we had with family. It was relaxing but for the price, I can relax just as much in an all inclusive resort. I felt "nickeled and dimed" a lot and there is only so much on board shopping a person can do. I hope someone benefits from this LONG review. I just wanted to give as much info as possible.

Just the facts

Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by crusinmomma5

crusinmomma5’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 10 to 12
Ages 13 to 15
Get Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas price drops

Cabins were clean, lots of storage and the bathrooms were a good size. The beds were very comfortable and we loved our ocean view balcony. The walls are thin so we had kids banging on the walls from next door and slamming the closet doors. The air conditioning automatically shut off when the balcony doors were opened. We slept with the doors open on at least 2 nights as the breeze was great and we loved hearing the waves outside. The TV is very limited so don't worry about the kids watching too much as there isn't much on. Note: due to the "save the waves" campaign, there are no garbage bags and the towels are only replaced on request.
  Oasis of the Seas Deck Plans