3. Adventure of the Seas
This was our 2nd time on the Adventure of the Seas (AOS), the first being in 2009. This was our first time we had repeated on a ship. I like the Voyager class a lot, it's big, but also small. I think the itinerary is great, 2 stops, a day at sea, 2 stops and a day at sea. I like it when the shore dates are broken up a bit. This was the first time we stayed in an aft balcony, and I will probably do it again. The room was 1394, a Junior suite. The aft view truly was amazing. But, man!, that walk to the cabin is really something else. You have to think twice about "just running back to the cabin for something". Anyways, on to the cruise. We flew in to San Juan on Saturday night. I would have liked to have gotten in sooner, but the flights and prices didn't work out that way. Check out of the hotel was at noon, so we just went right to the ship from there. We had stayed at the Howard Johnson Isla Verda. It's near the airport and beach, but then about as far from Old San Juan as you can get. Our room on the 8th floor (odd number room) had a balcony that overlooked the main street and past the condo's to the ocean. It was a very nice view. The hotel was nice. Not fancy, but nice. The staff at the front desk was great. The continental breakfast was also okay. They struggle to keep it stocked, especially as you get closer to the end time of 9:30. We were cruising with 2 of my older brothers and their wives. It was one couple's first cruise and the other couples first cruise on Royal Caribbean. I thought check in at the cruise pier was the smoothest we've ever had. We all checked in pretty quickly with what seemed to be no problems. We showed the others around the ship a bit as we worked our way up to the Windjammer for lunch. (A few days before the cruise, RCCL had sent out an email advising us to check in at certain times based on the deck our cabin was on, with exceptions for suite guests (us), Platinum and above members (us) and those with pre-arranged RCCL arrivals. Too be honest, this technically left one of my brothers sitting on the dock until 3pm while the rest of us could check in anytime. Well that wasn't going to fly, so they checked in with us and there were no issues. Still, I didn't like that email. You need to work on that RCCL.) The cabin's opened up at 2pm and we all went to our cabins to check them out and get situated. We met up again at first seating dinner where it was the 6 of us at one table. Christopher and Oswald took great care of us all week, as I would have expected. They were fun, knowledgeable and were always available for questions. After dinner, one brother mentioned that he hadn't received his suitcase yet, and it was now almost 9pm. We went to Guest Services and it was there. He had arrived in San Juan a few days early and he had gone to the Bacardi factory on one of those days. He had a package of 9 small sampler bottles of rum, which he had packed in his checked luggage. RCCL of course confiscated it. And somehow, we noticed, his room luggage tag had come off, so they didn't know where to deliver it. So he got his suitcase and was told he could collect his liquor at the end of the cruise with all the other confiscated stuff. The first stop was St. Thomas where we all went our separate ways and my wife and I did a Kayak, Hike, Snorkel trip. It was great, very fun, not too strenuous, and the guides were very informative. They could have provided more of a snack than a fun size Kit Kat bar though. The 2nd stop was in St. Kitts. This was the first time we had been to that island. My wife joined one of her sister in laws for the train ride around the island and I went scuba diving with Pro Divers. RCCL doesn't offer a scuba trip in St. Kitts and I had just gotten certified the previous August. My wife had a good time on the train trip and she said some of the scenery was just amazing. I had a great time scuba diving for the first time in the tropics. I will recommend Pro Divers, but you must be patient with them. They need to update their website to allow payments online. As of now, you need to call them, or have them call you. They must be very busy as it takes quite a while for them to call you. On our day at sea, at around noon, the captain came on and told us that due to a medical emergency we were going to proceed as fast as possible to Curacao to drop off the passenger and then we would continue to Aruba for our day on Thursday and then return to Curacao on Friday, all according to schedule. This was the first time I had been on a cruise that had any kind of diversion like that. My wife watched the special arrival in Curacao while I went to see the Quest. Gosh, I love watching that game. And in fact, in 2009 I was a team captain. But now, I leave it to the younger cruisers. Being in an aft balcony we could see that the ship was moving faster. In fact, we found out later that the ship was moving at max speed (22.5-23 knots). It was noticeable in the amount of wake we were making, that is for sure. I did my first rock climbing on the day at sea. That's one reason why I like RCCL. They have some fun athletic events like the rock wall. I may be 52, but I still can climb the rock wall. After our day at sea, we arrived in Aruba. We rented a jeep and drove around the island on our own. We stopped at the Butterfly House (great), the California lighthouse (wonderful views), the Alto Vista Chapel (very interesting and a great view too), the Gold Mine ruins and the Natural Bridge. The Natural Bridge fell down several years ago, so I'm not sure why it is still called that and why people still want to go there. But off we went. It got up to 94! on our Jeep thermometer and man was that hot. We finished the day at the Ayo Rock Formation, which is quite an impressive natural rock formation. It was just too hot for us now so we made our way back to Oranjestad and dropped off the car. We had a nice lunch and did some shopping. We rented from Jay's Car Rental. They met us right outside the pier area, my name was on a sign. They took care of us really well. Quick and EasyThe jeep had some dents and dings, and the check engine light was always on, but otherwise the car ran great. It was so interesting seeing parts of the island that you might not get to see on various tours. The lack of road signage just made it more of an adventure! We found everything we wanted to see. At 5pm we joined the Sunset Catamaran cruise. Free drinks! It sure was nice being out on the ocean to watch the sunset after our hot day on the island. It really was just the thing. The crew made drinks and just sailed us around. Nothing too crazy. For our stop in Curacao, I went on the RCCL Scuba excursion. It was with Ocean Encounters and was two shore dives. It was wonderful. The visibility was great and the reef was full of fish. It was wonderful. Maybe some experienced divers would want to do more, but for a half day, and for a newbie like me, it was great. I'll have to go to Curacao for an extended vacation and do some more scuba diving with Ocean Encounters. We went to the ice show again on the last day at sea. I really like the ice shows that Royal Caribbean has. I don't watch the ice skating at the Olympics but you are able to get so up close in Studio B that you can't help but be impressed with the talent and skill of the ice skaters. And wouldn't you know it, we had one last medical emergency. At 3am on Sunday morning, we had to come to a stop and let a helicopter pick up a passenger. I'm not sure they needed to wake us at 3am to tell us this, as I would have easily slept through it all. The cruise director staff was very nice. Luisa and Anthony were fun people and they always kept things moving along. Bobby is a great cruise director too. The AOS is certainly in need of some refreshment. I know it had a small refurbishment last year but it needs more. It has only one specialty restaurant (Giovanni's Table) while some smaller ships have more. I know some Voyager class ships have been given a Flo Rider and I'd Like to see that on AOS too. The Peek a Boo bridge is a nice hidden add on, and when it is open, is fun to find and watch the crew at work. For disembarkation, because we were staying another day in San Juan, we did self depart. My brother was told he could pick up his liquor with the other confiscated items (and man, there were a lot of irons there!) but it wasn't there. He asked some staff who basically gave him the run around. I was very disappointed in RCCL for not having his items available and not really helping in trying to track them down. I realize disembarkation is a crazy time, but they are the ones who took the liquor and who said where he could pick it up. In looking back on it, I wonder if the missing luggage tags actually made it impossible to locate whose item it was. We probably should have confirmed that on the first day but I didn't think of it. I wonder how it would have gone if he had carried them onboard in his carry-on. If they were confiscated then, he would have at least had his name on them.

Another great Adventure cruise

Adventure of the Seas Cruise Review by SnowBird Cruzer

Anyways, on to the cruise.

SnowBird Cruzer’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas price drops

The aft balconies on AOS have some framework outside of them which takes away a little of your view. It wasn't like they were obstructed but you would have to be careful how you took a camera shot so as not to get the framing in the picture. Also, the deck 10 balconies look down on the balconies of decks 9 and 8. Just below us was the Royal FAmily Suites and for that kind of money, I'd expect more privacy. But it was wide open for me to see the whole balcony. McAllan was a great room steward.
For a junior suite, it seemed like the largest one so far that we have stayed in. Also, the balcony itself was huge and covered. We had more room inside than most. Although the "walk in closet" really wasn't. It was wedged into a corner so it was kind of triangular. There was more room in the back than at the door. It was quiet too. I woke up twice during the cruise at around 4am and I could hear some tables being moved up in the Windjammer, which is right above you. But I never heard any other noise from the Windjammer all cruise. And the hallway was quiet as no-one walks back there who doesn't need to be back there.
  Adventure of the Seas Deck Plans

• self guided Jeep trip
    The jeep was a bit dinged up, but drove just fine. We went all over the northern part of the island (Butterfly Farm, California Lighthouse, Alto Vista Chapel, Ostrich Farm (but we didn't stay), abandoned Gold Mine, Natural Bridge and Ayo Rock formation. I just got too hot to stay out much longer. And the minimal road signage on the island made it quite an adventure to find things. But we stopped often and asked questions and we somehow found everything we needed.
    View All 13,176 self guided Jeep trip Reviews
  • Scuba Diving
    The folks at Ocean Encounters took us on a shore reef dive that was great. the visibility was 40+ feet and we saw lots of sea life on the reef. A couple of eels, a scorpionfish, more lionfish, etc. Curacao has some great diving opportunities and this is just one way to get a taste of it.
    View All 10 Scuba Diving Reviews
  • San Juan
    We did our own excursion to El Yunque rainforest after the cruise. That is a wonderful park and is not to be missed when you go to Puerto Rico. We found a nice roadside restaurant where we had some very tasty chicken kabobs with rice and beans. The lookout tower has some great views. Too bad we didn't get to spend more time there, but our GPS took us off course at the beginning and we wasted about an hour seeing some of the lesser known sights around El Yunque
    View All 3,794 San Juan Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's San Juan Cruise Port Review
  • Scenic Railway
    My wife had a great time on this. The scenery was lovely and the guide was very knowledgeable. She went with her sister in law. Too bad the camera died as she told me of some great views, canyons, etc.
    View All 260 Scenic Railway Reviews
  • Scuba - Certified
    These were my first tropical scuba dives. Austina and Terry were very knowledgeable. We dove at the donut and one other place I can't remember it's name. We saw 1 shark, 2 rays, two sea turtles, some lionfish, some puffer fish and many other great things. I saw some awesome conch shells which I'd have loved to bring up and bring home. Some of the other divers actually caught some lobsters for their dinner!
    View All 14 Scuba - Certified Reviews
  • Kayak, Hike, Snorkel
    You go on a kayak trip to a small island, hike around the island, and then do some snorkeling before kayaking back. The staff showed us some mangrove trees and explained their significance. They showed us some hermit crabs and we had a hermit crab race too. They showed us some interesting flora on the island, such as the Death Apple tree. Man, that is not a good tree in any way, shape or form. The snorkeling was also pretty good. My expectations were not very high but it was pretty good. We were just inside a coral wall that kept the strong sea waves and winds off of us. It was a nice protected area for the fish. The staff was very knowledgeable and friendly.
    View All 13,176 Kayak, Hike, Snorkel Reviews