3. Pride of America
This was the first cruise for me and my husband (we are recently retired) and it was amazing! This was my first, and probably only time, to get to see Hawaii (I live in Ohio) and I knew I wanted to see several of the islands. By taking this cruise we didn't have to make reservations at multiple hotels and, best of all, didn't have to pack/unpack every other day. Also, we could spend our time exploring each island rather than waiting for flights from island to island; Norwegian did the "traveling" for us at night while we were sleeping! The entire staff was exceptional. Each one made me feel like I was the only person on the ship. They are polite, friendly, and take their time no matter the request. We never took any of the shore excursions so I can't give any reviews of those. We rented a car on every island except Maui. Maui has excellent public bus transportation so we used that. We arrived in Honolulu the day before our cruise so if flights were delayed we wouldn't miss the cruise. We took public bus transportation ($2.50 each)to within a short distance of the cruise ship. After the cruise we rented a car for two days so we could see more of Oahu. There is so much to do on each island and on the ship; you'll never be able to do everything. Several times I was torn between doing something on an island in the afternoon or going back to the ship early because I wanted to do something on the ship! I guess the only negative is there are lots of "side sales". Every day there's a photographer taking pictures, for cost of course. We also thought thought the shore excursions were pricey. We didn't buy the soft drink package and I'm glad we didn't. There is coffee, both regular and decaf, iced tea, and lemonade available everywhere at no cost. Also, at the buffet, there is a flavored water that's very tasty! When we signed up for our cruise, there was a promotion to get an upgrade to the Ultimate Dining Package at no cost. We loved it! This package let's you eat at any of the restaurants without paying the cover charge (except for the sushi). The food was fantastic! However, the food at the other restaurants (we went to those for breakfasts and most lunches) was excellent too, so don't feel like you have to pay for the UDP. We had no children with us so I can't attest to children's activities. The cabin seemed very roomy. We got a room with a window with a guaranteed unobstructed view. The sink includes liquid hand soap and the shower includes liquid body soap and shampoo, so you don't need to pack any of those. There's also a hair dryer at the vanity part of the room. I hope I've helped answer any questions for anyone reading this. We had an absolutely wonderful time on this cruise and plan on taking more!

7 day POA Hawaiian Cruise is most efficient/economical way to see the islands!

Pride of America Cruise Review by songbirdfeeder

• Sail Date: March 2015
  • Destination: Hawaii
  • Cabin Type: Oceanview Picture Window

We had no children with us so I can't attest to children's activities.

songbirdfeeder’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian (NCL) Pride of America price drops

• Hilo
    Just before arriving in port we saw our first whale outside our cabin window! Magnificent! Then we looked up and had a beautiful sight snow on the top of Mauna Kea. We rented a car and drove to Volcanoes National Park and drove the rim road and Chain of Craters Road. It was very interesting and we had a great time.
    View All 569 Hilo Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Hilo Cruise Port Review
  • Honolulu
    Honolulu is too populated for my taste and too expensive. It's also very sad to see so many homeless. We did rent a car and drove around the rest of the island. The eastern shores are less populated and beautiful.
    View All 673 Honolulu Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Honolulu Cruise Port Review
  • Kauai
    The scenery on this island is breathtaking! We rented a car and drove to Waimea Canyon and Kalalau Lookout. The Kalalau Lookout was more outstanding to me than Waimea Canyon. It's definitely worth the extra drive! Then in the afternoon we drove to Wailua Falls (from the opening credits of the old tv show Fantasy Island), Spouting Horn, and Lumahai Beach Park, featured in the movie South Pacific.
    We did so much the whole week that we decided to stay on the ship for our second day in Kauai. It's an early port day anyway.
    View All 537 Kauai Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Kauai Cruise Port Review
  • Kona (Kailua Bay)
    In Kona we rented a car and drove to Naalehu's post office, the southernmost post office in the United States. We also went to the Southpoint which was an easier drive than we were led to believe. Part of the road isn't a full two lanes, but it is paved. In the afternoon it got rainy, which I think is normal, so we spent it touring/tasting coffee plantations.
    The best part of the day was on our way back to the ship. You have to be tendered back and forth since the port isn't big enough for the ship, and when we were traveling in the tender boat several dolphin swam and jumped just a short distance from our boat. It was as if they were racing with us! So much fun to see!
    View All 386 Kona (Kailua Bay) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Kona (Kailua Bay) Cruise Port Review
  • Maui
    This island was my favorite. The people are so friendly and helpful. Maui has an excellent public bus system that was easy to use and on time. I think an all day pass was only $4.
    View All 618 Maui Cruise Port Reviews