3. Norwegian Sky
Sailed on the Norwegian Sky. First time cruiser, 25 years old, and the cruise itinerary and food were wayyyy more hyped up than it should have been. Embarkation was what I now realize a pre-cursor to a below average cruise. Security was extremely bored and grouchy. Crew welcoming you to the ship were too wrapped up in talking to each other than welcoming you aboard and administering judgy-looks. The drill before leaving Miami was unenjoyable, I know it is to be taken seriously, but we were pushed and ordered around deck like stupid sheep. The man with the megaphone for our area was unnecessarily mean and pushy, shouting at individual people in line. We couldn't wait to get off deck after that experience. I was told by everyone I knew (and the cruise line website) to pack nice dress clothes for every dinner but I never wore more than one dressy outfit the entire week, due to dining being held in a buffet-style cafeteria where everyone wore their swimsuits or pajamas. I was supremely disappointed in the food as well as the atmosphere; the best part of the food line was the fresh fruit. I must have eaten my weight in fresh pineapple becuase it was the only thing palpable. Everything else was extremely generic, bland, and made by the mass...Golden Corral does a better job of providing hot, delicious food (if that gives you any idea.) Anyone I have ever talked to has raved that cruise food is the best food they've ever had, but I was left completely unimpressed on every level. Even though the main courses were awful, we had hope to gorge ourselves on the desserts, but found out the dessert spread was even worse than the main food line. Jello and ice cream?? REALLY?? The ice cream machine didn't even work for half the trip! I had an unlimited (alcoholic) drink pass but was disappointed to find I never had a bartender that was in a good mood, ready to help, even when there was no line. Every one seemed bored and treated me like a spoiled sorority girl, handing me my drink hastily to get rid of me. Our cabin steward was pushy and overly-conversational for tips, which we didn't appreciate ("Look at your towel shaped like a dog, yeah I did that, I did that!!" ...Good for you.), and always seemed to stop by at inconvenient times in the evening, when we were getting ready for dinner, or already in bed. I COULD NOT BELIEVE the size of the hot tubs (TINY, not fitting more than three people comfortably, what a total JOKE) or pools (WHICH WERE FREEZING.) My boyfriend and I were very disappointed our time on shore was hurried and we had no idea of where to go or what to do, we've never been to the Bahamas before! We wished there was ample time to explore the towns of port as well as the beach but there was simply not enough time at any port. The beach stop at Freeport was a complete joke; a rocky beach with rough waves pushy bus drivers to get us there. By the time there was time at any port near the beach to purchase souvenirs, we were at the private beach specifically for Norwegian, and all the souvenirs were cheap, generic trinkets. Needless to say, we came back from our trip with nothing but four (overpriced) postcards. Not only did we pay to go snorkeling on the boat with the rock climbing wall only to find out two days before leaving that the excursion was cancelled due to maintenance (THEN WHY EVEN HAVE IT AS AN OPTION ONLINE), but we also paid $20 a piece to have the Hippo slide for the entire day as told on the web site, only to go down it twice in the morning and come back to find it deflated in the afternoon around 1 o'clock. Pathetic. Our unlimited drink passes were not valid on the private beach either, completely frustrating. What did we pay for the unlimited drink pass for if not to be used? The bartenders were not in good moods, which in turn brought our moods down. The "bbq" lunch provided onshore was nothing but hotdogs, dry hamburgers, and chips (I can get better food at a gas station.) I was hoping for a high class, relaxing, rejuvenating trip to gorgeous beaches on a ship that provided incredible food and amazing pool and hot tubs aboard, as well as impeccable entertainment. Instead, my first cruise experience included corny game shows, loud, whaling singers by the pool, elementary-school cafeteria food in a dining hall full of Wal-Mart class people, pushy service, and over-priced, over-hyped excursions that were a rip-off. Definitely trying any other cruise line before going Norwegian again. Anything has to be better than this.

Average food, average service, hurried port stops, not really a ton of fun.

Norwegian Sky Cruise Review by acj7v7

• Sail Date: March 2015
  • Destination: Bahamas

acj7v7’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Sky price drops

• Hippo Slide
    "Hippo slide yours for the day"...yeah right. We went down it twice in the morning then went snorkeling and ate lunch to come back at 1pm to find it deflated. $20 a piece down the drain. Pathetic.
    View All 13,582 Hippo Slide Reviews
  • Snorkeling
    Snorkeling was average but better than nothing. We were cheated out of our snorkeling excursion on the boat with the slide and rock climbing wall, as they cancelled the trip last minute due to maintenance. Had we known we couldn't have done it, we would have reserved a different excursion.
    View All 88 Snorkeling Reviews
  • Miami
    Man taking our bags on the trolley to put on the ship and take our bags asked openly for tips which was highly inappropriate and immediately set a negative tone before we even boarded the ship. Help getting on the boat including security were bored and grumpy.
    View All 2,448 Miami Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Miami Cruise Port Review
  • Beach
    The beach was fun, the natives on the beach selling drinks were pushy. We enjoyed the energy of all the other people our age having a great time on spring break. There wasn't any time to explore any part of the town other than the beach though.