3. Adventure of the Seas
My family and I cruised on Adventure of the Seas on the 3/22/15 sailing. Here are our comments: Stateroom: We were in a Junior Suite on Deck 9 (9284). The location was wonderful and very central to pretty much everything. The room was quite spacious and had a huge walk in closet and plenty of place to store things. My teen daughter and I shared the king bed and my husband and teen son shared the sofa bed. We were fine. I was worried because I had seen some reviews where people said space with an issue with more than three adults in a room of this type. We are used to a room with a king bed and a Pullman upper and lower. The room had some wear—the carpet seams were visible and there were worn spots, in particular between the beds. The balcony was large but could use some paint touchups. The beds were hard and the pillows were either thin or lumpy. Other than that, we had no complaints with the room. Dining room wait staff: Desmond (waiter) and Cany (assistant), both from India, were fantastic! Desmond was by far the best waiter we have had on any cruise, and Cany was an excellent assistant. We had MTD dining and after having experienced Desmond and Cany on the first night we made reservations at a table in their section for the rest of the cruise. If you have MTD dining and end up in their section, congratulations! Make a reservation and enjoy their excellent service all week. We gave them envelopes with additional tip on the last night of the cruise because we truly felt they deserved it. Crown and Anchor benefits: We’re only Gold members, so there aren’t a lot of benefits. However, we were happy to have received a BOGO offer for milkshakes at Johnny Rockets. This was the only offer we ended up using. Staff friendliness: We haven’t cruised Royal Caribbean since 1997, but staff on the ship don’t seem as friendly as we experienced before. Bartenders were generally pretty friendly, but I think room stewards for other cabins and waiter for other tables may have been told not to speak to guests unless they are spoken to. In the past they used to say hello to everyone, in my experience. MDR food: We were really not impressed with the food. It was certainly edible, but we really noted a marked decline in food quality. That said, it HAS been 17 years since our last RCI cruise. My favorite meal was the chicken cordon bleu and my favorite dessert was the key lime pie. I also really liked the pumpkin seed and cheese rolls. My husband really liked that escargot was available every night, as that is his favorite appetizer. Their version of warm chocolate melting cake was beyond HORRIBLE! Giovanni’s Table: We did not eat there, so I cannot comment. WindJammer: We noticed a marked decrease in quality. The food just wasn't enjoyable or flavorful. I’ve had better buffet food at Golden Corral. There was always something to eat, but the quality just wasn’t good. Even many of the fruits weren’t ripe. Desserts were pretty awful. In fact, the only dessert we liked in there was the Ranger cookies. My daughter is in high school and is taking Foods 2 and was commenting that she could a better job of preparing some of the foods. Indeed, she probably could. Music: We enjoyed Terry Dobson, the singer/guitarist in the Duck & Dog Pub several nights. We thought he was very talented and engaging. We also enjoyed the Caribbean band near the pool. Sorry, I don’t recall their name. The show band was also very talented—they played jazz a couple nights on the Main Street area on Deck 5 and seemed very popular. Shows: With the exception of the ice show (which was fantastic!), they were not good. We really found Royal Caribbean to be lacking in the entertainment category. It really seemed like they were geared toward much older people. I was surprised at that. The performers were decent enough and did a good job at what they had to perform, but the subject matter was stale and geared toward seniors, in my opinion. I’m 45 and my husband is 50, so we’re not spring chickens, either! There was a guy named Scott Record doing impressions (and fart jokes) and we thought he was horrible. Not talented. Not funny. Although he was a decent singer, I’ll give him that. In fact, we ended up walking out during a point in the show when it was totally dark. There was a comedian named Carl Banks the last night of the cruise who was pretty funny. That and the ice show were the only shows we truly enjoyed. Kids/Teen Club: My kids are 13 and almost 17. They did not like the Optix (teen) club on RCI. They much preferred Carnival’s teen clubs. When we boarded the ship, they only had one copy of the Teen activities in English and a huge pile of them in Spanish. It was never replenished, so my kids never knew when the organized activities were. Most of the time they ended up just meeting their friends outside the teen club at designated times and doing their own things. Beverage package: My husband got the Select package, which includes non-alcoholic drinks, soda, beer and wine. He felt that he got his money’s worth, particularly in view of the recent alcoholic beverage price increases. I got the Royal Replenish package, which includes non-alcoholic drinks, soda, premium coffee drinks, fresh squeezed orange juice and bottled water. I’m pretty sure I drank at least $22 worth of beverages each day, particularly in view of the fact that they charge $3.50 for a glass of fresh squeezed orange juice, $4.00 for a virgin pina colada and $5.50 for a grande vanilla latte or Frappuccino. One gripe about the Royal Replenish package: there was only one venue to get coffee, and there were often long lines due to the fact that it is the same place that serves Ben & Jerry’s ice cream. Also, on 3 out of 7 days I was told by staff in Windjammer that fresh squeezed orange juice was not yet available when I was there (7-7:30am). That was not acceptable, considering I paid extra for the package that includes fresh squeezed orange juice. They should have it available when Windjammer opens for breakfast.

Great vacation, but not as good as it could have been

Adventure of the Seas Cruise Review by Laurin612

Giovanni’s Table: We did not eat there, so I cannot comment.

Laurin612’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 13 to 15
Ages 16+
Get Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas price drops

We were in a Junior Suite on Deck 9 (9284). The location was wonderful and very central to pretty much everything. The room was quite spacious and had a huge walk in closet and plenty of place to store things. My teen daughter and I shared the king bed and my husband and teen son shared the sofa bed. We were fine. I was worried because I had seen some reviews where people said space with an issue with more than three adults in a room of this type. We are used to a room with a king bed and a Pullman upper and lower and had not issues with lack of space.

The room had some wear—the carpet seams were visible and there were worn spots, in particular between the beds. The balcony was large but could use some paint touchups. The beds were hard and the pillows were either thin or lumpy. Other than that, we had no issues or complaints with the room.
  Adventure of the Seas Deck Plans