3. Ruby Princess
I loved Princess, I have traveled with them on a few long, long voyages.This was on the Ruby Princess. From the start of this mismanaged voyage there was trouble. In Port Everglades, the ship had lengthy, long lines to embark, no one to tell you which queue was yours, no one to stop many passenger joining in the middle. The wait staff, many of whom did not speak English adequately (to the extent that their serving partners could not communicate with them) are not trained how to serve at table correctly, removing dishes across the front of diners sitting next to each other is one example. Losing ones wine, serving bottles of wine which had been bought by other people on other nights, whenever this was brought up, accusing one of lying, loudly, in front of the whole table. This did not just happen to me, but several times to others who we shared our table with. We ate at 'anytime dining' so we changed partners daily. When glasses of replacement wine were brought it was never of the quality one had paid for. At best the food was over cooked and mostly flavourless. We had booked this as many others had a single cruise, somewhere it became three cruises. The first time of seeing the very talented dancers and singers perform the various shows in the Princess Theatre it was a delight, but three times the same show, not so much, and the nights they performed there was very little other choice. The same food selections in the dining rooms, advertised as ' have your favourite again, or try something new' does not cut it when the choices are so bad to begin with. Staff members were often rude, I walked into the laundromat on the 11th deck, it was really dirty, someone had spilt washing powder and water over the floor, I spoke with a crew member outside, he told me not his problem, if the passengers made a mess. Maybe not, but as a steward could he not get someone to clean it up? The excursion desk people on the whole were uninformed, and unwilling to help if there had been any problems on the excursions, even when there were 4 passengers complaining about the trip, at the same time, to the 4 people on duty, Princess sells these tours, I am sure makes a profit, and then says it is not their problem when the things advertised do not take place, tours are cut short, or for any other reason. The Internet, is terrible, the worse of any ship that I have ever travelled on, the internet manager, often very ratty in temperament, I am sure this is because everytime it went down and you could not log off, costing you very expensive minutes, she was shouted at. The cabin is exactly like any balcony cabin on Princess, it is a ship not a luxury hotel or even a luxury cruise line. It is fine. Princess has itineraries that no other cruise lines has, this is why one cruises with Princess, but the level of unhappiness with this cruise among the Princess Circle Elite and Platinum members leads me to believe if any other line starts to have the same type of cruise itinerary we will leave in droves.

I used to be a Princess fan, alas no more.

Ruby Princess Cruise Review by pinkskygirl

pinkskygirl’s Full Rating Summary
Get Ruby Princess price drops

• Antigua
    I have been here several times before, I do not like it, but others swear by the beaches, naval yard etc, I have nothing constructive to say and yet I must. the shops on the dock are interesting, there are some nice food places just outside the port area
    View All 1,546 Antigua Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Antigua Cruise Port Review
  • Distillery Tour
    We visited two distilleries, the first was to Heritage Park, the R.L.Seale museum of rum. This was very interesting, I wish we had had more time to view all the exhibits. The rum tasting was not so good, tiny plastic cups, with very little in, more to get you to buy something, anything.
    The next was to Mount Gay, which is not really the distillery, An interest short film, about the history of rum and its making then on to the main event. An excellent tasting, with glasses, each pouring, with an explanation of colour, taste, how to 'see' the rum. Then of course the sales pitch, but this was good value for money, and very well run
    View All 25 Distillery Tour Reviews
  • Fort Lauderdale (Port Everglades)
    I love Fort Lauderdale, so much to do, great restaurants, and The Everglades, wow, what else could you need.
    Oh yes maybe they should redesign Port Everglades, so that it does not take up to hours to get to the ships, from the entrance of the Port. ( my taxi driver told us, it always happens when there are multiple ships in port)
    View All 1,923 Fort Lauderdale (Port Everglades) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Fort Lauderdale (Port Everglades) Cruise Port Review
  • Tubing
    The van that picked us up was 45 minutes late, we had been taken outside the terminal to wait in the mid afternoon sun with no shade. The van was overloaded, an extra two people put in at the last moment, I believe that they had run out of vehicles, which is why they were late. The river run was fun, over far too fast, on talking to other people on the ship, who had done the morning run I believe they took us out of the water sooner than the correct finish point. due to our late arrival and the need to get back to the ship before it was due to leave. On our return our already overcrowded van had a huge water cooler added, onto the laps of two of the passengers!!
  • City Tour
    This was part of the redeemer tour so see above, The food in the restaurant was plentiful, it was a place that obviously catered to the cruise crowd.
    My advice is not to eat to much at the start of the meal, the meat is brought out, cheapest cuts first, so if you want to taste the superb beef, do not fill up on the sausages, chicken lamb, and lesser cuts of beef
    View All 10 City Tour Reviews
  • Copacabana
    How I wanted to see the Girl From______. Those days are long past I guess. It was the day after Carnival had finished, there were still plenty of Samba crews about, dancing and parties in the streets, the beach is beachy, plenty of stalls with touristy stuff on them. A super walk for about 5 miles with lots of places to stop and eat or drink
    View All 7 Copacabana Reviews
  • Corcovado Mountain & Christ Redeemer statue
    This was our 2nd day in port, We were picked up at about 7am, for the whole day. Our tour guide was from Rio, she was excellent, First we went to Christ the Redeemer, to beat the crowds, we got there just as they opened, it was amazing, very few people who were not with our group, so great opportunities to photo's without people, by the time we left, about an hour later, it looked like Disneyland in July. We then did the city tour, passing by Favela's, some of which, near the ocean, are being bought into by the Brazilian 'yuppy class' and "foreigners', and some if you venture in, you will leave next to naked. We visited Churches, and had a multi course meat lunch.
    View All 32 Corcovado Mountain & Christ Redeemer statue Reviews
  • Sugarloaf Mountain
    This was the last part of the second day tour, It is cold at the top! good views over the ocean and Rio, several changes of cable cars get you over the two mountains. It is one of those things that everyone should do once in a lifetime. When we go to Rio in the future we will have no need to do it again
    View All 14 Sugarloaf Mountain Reviews
  • Tijuca Forest
    This was on our first day in port, The hike was wonderful, very knowledgeable guides. this Forest is man made, after the original forest was destroyed, the Emperor realized that the climate and water resources of Rio had been changed, for the worse. he employed slave to rebuild the forest, to start it growing fast they imported fast growing trees from India and other places, to protect the slow growing native trees. Now the non natives are a problem as they grow too well, the monkeys brought in to eat the fruit from the non natives have killed most of the birds. They are debating bringing in non native snakes to eat the monkeys!
    The only downside on this type of trip is passengers do not read the descriptions of what is going to happen. This was shown as a highly active nature trail. people came with their walkers, canes, and weight problems, then complained, held us up, and expected considerations at every turn
    View All 6 Tijuca Forest Reviews
  • Ziplining
    I love ziplines, this is one of the best, Great guides, who are interested in making ones experience fun and safe. When we have been through ( three times) we have found that they do not share tips so bring smaller notes to give your favourite guides as they pass, Remember to ask for your camera back!!
    If you have time walk into town and buy some of the local spiced rum. Food here is great
    View All 30 Ziplining Reviews