3. Disney Dream
This was our family's second Disney cruise, first time on Dream, (first cruise was on Magic in 2013) and this time we brought along grandma and grandpa in adjoining stateroom. We settled on this 4 day cruise because it fit our schedule for spring break from school and because it just cost a little bit less and that was welcome. We have two children who are (as of this review) 6 and 4. Embarkation day we spent eating lunch and riding the AquaDuck. It was all about the AquaDuck for my kids. There's only one of me, though so they had to take turns riding it (they're not big enough to go by themselves yet) and that was kind of a bummer. It's a super fun ride, to be honest, but sometimes when the line is very long, I don't quite understand the wait times. But - here's a tip - board the ship in your bathing suit and head up to Deck 11 right away. We had super short wait times when we boarded the ship around noon. It wasn't until much later in the afternoon, say around 3 pm when the lines started to get kind of silly. We enjoyed our harbor cruise around Nassau and it was an OK value for a cruise-line-booked excursion. My dad (grandpa) has some difficulties getting around and it was tough for him to make the walk from the ship to the pick up point, but he did make it and enjoyed it. We learned there is a somewhat irregular (free/gratuity) shuttle bus that will transport passengers from the cruise ships to the harbor building and back which is the primary pick up point for most excursions. (We took this shuttle back to the boat later.) Castaway Cay was definitely the highlight of this cruise. We'd never been before but everyone in our whole party loved it. It's just custom built to be a super fun day at the beach with the family. There are tons of activities to do for people of all ages and abilities. Another tip - try to get off the boat early because then you will have more of the facilities to yourself. I debarked at 8:45 am and basically had the entire snorkeling lagoon to myself for a good hour. All of the morning-feeding fish where out and it was just a lovely time - me, the lifeguards and the fish all swimming around. We are all looking forward to heading back to Castaway Cay in the future. That night was also pirate night and our kids were super excited - we were all in costume and took lots of pictures. We were the last family to get a picture with Captain Jack Sparrow before he rescued our ship from a bunch of nasty pirates. The fireworks were fun and the we all enjoyed them. Our final day was an at-sea day. We adults had champagne brunch at Palo which was magnificent. The one drawback was that the basketball court is like directly over the restaurant - this noise was sometimes a little bit distracting from the otherwise wonderful ambiance. We also had reservations for Remy this night but opted to cancel them because we were double booked at Animator's Palate and my wife really wanted to see the "show" with Crash from Nemo. We were still so full from brunch, it probably would have been a waste. While we were at Palo, the kids were in the Kid's Club activities - every time we put them in Kid's Club it took like 15 minutes to convince the kids to leave they were having so much fun every single time I went to get them. This particular day, my daughter had just finished playing in the Green Army Men Bootcamp from Toy Story and my son was doing a mystery puzzle game with Smee and Cap'n Hook from Peter Pan. (Two of his favorite characters, by the way.) They hardly wanted to leave. One really nice thing about the club is that if your kids are in there over a meal time (like breakfast, lunch or dinner) they will get fed by the team. I can't say enough about how much my kids liked the kids club activities - there always seemed to be a crazy amount of stuff for them to explore and do both with other kids and the counselors. One other fun thing my son and I did was the "Midship Detective Agency" game. This is an interactive video game where you run all over the ship with your own specialized badge and find special "interactive artwork" which gives you clues about your particular case that you can solve. Overall, I think we all had a great time, but to be honest, my wife and I felt like 4 days was just not enough time to really fully enjoy all of the amenities and activities that Disney packs on to their ships. We rebooked a "placeholder" cruise onboard because it's such a good deal and we are looking for a longer itinerary for our next trip - we just need more time than 4 days on DCL.

Just not enough time for everything!

Disney Dream Cruise Review by mrallen1

• Sail Date: March 2015
  • Destination: Bahamas

mrallen1’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 3 to 6
Get Disney Dream price drops

Great cabin right by the midships stairs/elevators. One drawback is that it's relatively distant from the laundry facilities on Deck 6. Otherwise, very nice with plenty of space for our family of 4.
  Disney Dream Deck Plans