3. Grandeur of the Seas
We stayed overnight in a motel near the airport and took a taxi to the cruise terminal on embarkation day. $30 one way, which was fine. We arrived much too early and had a wait until we could board. We skipped the buffet and headed straight to the Solarium and the Park Cafe. The Solarium was rarely crowded at any time on the cruise. We got to our cabin around 1:45 pm. My suitcase was already there; my wife's suitcase was delayed because her room tag fell off. Next time we will use a nail gun AND superglue. Cabin was an inside-inside - jog off the port corridor - which suited us well. 4747 was close to the centrum but regardless of activities we had no noise. We are finally learning how to cruise after about a dozen of them. We had been assigned to second seating for dinner and were unable to change the assignment. We never ate in the dining room. Dinner the first night was at Giovanni's Table, which was enjoyable. We believed that at $20 per person surcharge it was simply overpriced for what one got. We went to Chops Grille on March 16 for my wife's birthday and were favorably impressed. So impressed, in fact, that we changed our last cruise night reservation from Giovanni's to Chops. Well worth the $30 per person surcharge. My wife went to the theater occasionally to catch one of the shows; her reviews were mixed. I spent most of those times reading. We caught entertainers occasionally in the Centrum, which were also pretty well mixed. The blonde female singer kept trying to reach mediocre but failed. The brunette female singer was fine. Quest Game was one of the best I've ever seen, thanks to the high-energy Cruise Director, Dan. The smaller ship suited us well. The older I get (I'm 66) the longer it takes me to learn my way around a ship. By Day Eight I was fairly well oriented. My wife, younger than I, never really caught on. The ship had everything we would use and a lot of things we wouldn't, such as a rock climbing wall. Shore excursions were a mixed bag and the only major complaint. We booked the "On your own" van service in Port Canaveral. The description promised three stops. The van took us to the Sheraton parking lot (not one of the stops), and told us that was the entire tour. Most of the passengers wandered off or returned to the ship. We and another couple asked questions of people in the area and learned that we were at a "bus depot" for the tour company, and our bus to the next stop would arrive shortly. We went to Cocoa Old City and enjoyed ourselves. Getting on the van at the ship entailed a first step nearly a meter high. My wife injured herself significantly getting into the van; the driver wasn't interested. We went to the excursions desk when back on board to let them know that the tour company had let down the passengers and the ship. The excursions rep (a man from Haiti, I believe) made it excruciatingly clear that he was not interested and that I was bothering him and wasting his time. We did not blame RCCL for the failed tour; the excursions rep, on the other hand, was most unprofessional. My wife took a Gardens/Zoo tour in Nassau, it was so-so. Neither of us got off the ship at Coco Cay, having been to private islands often enough to know it would not interest us. We took the hop-on hop-off trolley in Key West and I was delighted. The guide was very informative and the tour was fascinating. My wife was less impressed, but then history and architecture are not her cup of tea. She also took the Dead People excursion in Key West (gravestones and something) and was unimpressed. I wandered around on my own for a while and then went to read. We discovered Viking Crown Lounge the last day and wished we had found it earlier. Disembarkation went well. We took off our own luggage and caught a taxi to the airport ($60 including tip). The difference in price from the ride from the airport is probably due to the "from" taxi operating under Anne Arundel County rules, while the "to" taxi operated under Baltimore City rules.

A fine time was had by all

Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review by byhisello99

• Sail Date: March 2015
  • Destination: Bahamas

byhisello99’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas price drops

Relatively small, but who goes on a cruise to hide in the cabin? The "inside-inside" worked out well. Close to the Centrum on the fourth deck, but no noise (except for some exuberant neighbors). Tiny issues: the phone was not by the beds, so wake up calls were a bit of a chore. No refrigerator, but you can't have everything.

Cabin attendant was pleasant but nothing special. Average for our cruise experience.
  Grandeur of the Seas Deck Plans