3. Carnival Legend
My family occupied four cabins on the Legend during Thanksgiving week. There were 10 of us. I had my own balcony cabin on the Empress deck. My parents were down the hall in a suite. My brothers and their families were in oceanview cabins on the Riviera deck. The layouts and storage spaces in the cabins were very good. This was my first cruise and I guess I anticipated a lot less space in the cabins. I was pleasantly surprised. The embarkation process was relatively painless. My brothers and I had flown into Tampa the night before the cruise and we all stayed at the Embassy Suites/Westshore by the airport. The rooms are very large and the kids loved the pool, manager reception and breakfast buffet. We had booked a cruise package on the hotel's website that included transportation for two adults/room on a shuttle to the port. We left the hotel around 12:30pm and we boarded the boat right at 1:30pm when the rooms were available. It was pretty much perfect timing. My parents drove up from Sarasota and arrived at the port a little after the rest of us. Since they had VIP check-in, the got on board at the same time we did. All os us dumped some stuff in our cabins and met up in the Unicorn Cafe on Lido. Everyone got something different, since the Lido really offers such a big variety of food choices. The deli, the asian food, the grill (the cheeseburgers and onion rings are really quite good) and, of course, the dessert bar were all favorites for lunch during the week. After lunch, mom, the SILs and I headed to the spa to make appointments. Okay, they only had one person working the appointment desk and the computer apparently wasn't working right. After 25 minutes in line, we were next up and the woman tells us that we all need to leave for the muster drill. We said that unless she was going to give us numbers to get back in the line afterward, that we weren't leaving without appointments. We got them and she was apologetic about the wait times. She gave us the at-sea special for late afternoon after Grand Cayman because there weren't any times available on the sea day that weren't during dinner. If you use the spa, be warned that Elemis makes their staff do a VERY hard sell on products after your treatments. It is actually to the point of being offensive and takes away some of the relaxation that the treatment gave you. I was offered a $375 product option or a $572 product option and they seemed shocked when I said no and kept pushing for me to buy at least some of it. Muster drill was quick and painless. Ran into much of the rest of the family since they were in the same muster zone. After the muster, went to the cabin where my bags were waiting outside my door. I unpacked everything got it all stowed away. I went and walked around the ship to see where things were located. After a moderate tour, I realized there was way too much to cover and I would just have to discover it during the week. The ship's main lobby was decked out for Christmas/Chanukah already. I know my parents thought the ship's decor was a bit on the gaudy side. I guess I've spent too much time in Vegas. it was pretty much what I expected. The highly patterned carpets and overly ornate fixtures reminded me a lot of Vegas hotels. Met the family in the Truffles dining for the late seating. Our servers were Carlos and Harold and they were absolutely fantastic. They did tricks for the kids on the nights we brought them and Carlos gave great recommendations on the food. On the night my mother ordered the plain boring tiny chicken and veggies on the spa menu, Carlos "accidentally" brought the wrong chicken dinner that had a wonderful sauce. My mom was eating it when Carlos brought out that sad little spa plate and offered to take the other chicken away. I thought she might stab him with the fork. After that, we all trusted his recommendations. Occasionally, if he thought there was something we needed to try, he would just bring out another entree, appetizer or dessert and plunk it on the table. Room service deliveries, which I did a few times for breakfast, were always at the time I specified. It was nice to sit on the balcony in the morning with a pot of coffee. GRAND CAYMAN We pulled into Grand Cayman in the rain. By the time we got off, it had pretty much stopped. I had planned to scuba dive at Stingray City through a dive shop called Divers Down. My dive buddies (who I met through cruise critic) and I got to the dive shop only to find out that the dive had been cancelled due to rough water. We walked down the street to Eden Rock and rented equipment to do our own shore dive. We had a very nice dive and then took our equipment back to the Legend, dumped it off, changed clothes and went back to shore for lunch. All in all, a very nice day. COZUMEL Cozumel was a two-tank scuba dive day with Sand Dollar booked through Carnival. There were a lot of people and it took a while to check us all in. They ended up putting us in taxis to take us to the dive shop. We had two great dives. They broke us up into groups of six for the dives and each group had an assigned videographer underwater. They sold the videos to anyone who wanted them and will ship them to the states. They gave us a preview and the quality was phenomenal. They brought us back to the port by boat where I stopped for beer and chicken wings at Fat Tuesdays with my dive buddy for the day, Ren. BELIZE I booked cave tubing in Belize for myself and my brothers and their families. We went with Major Tom. There were way too many people, since Carnival had cancelled its tubing excursion after the recent mishap with their vendor. It took an hour for them to check everyone in and get us on our way. We stopped at a local grocery to pick up water and snacks and proceeded to the caves. The water was cold, but everyone had a really good time. Our guide, "George of the Jungle," was very good. Butts Up is our new favorite saying. The tubing ran late and Major Tom was at the buses shouting for them to get on the road and get us back to the port. We got there at the deadline for tendering back. Belize is a very long distance tender. ROATAN Roatan is an absolutely beautiful port. The water there is fantastic and the reefs are spectacular. This was another two-tank scuba dive for me booked through Carnival. The dive shop takes very good care of you and has very nice facilities. Giant grouper swim through the reef and the "wall" is really something to see. My brothers and one SIL did the discovery scuba here. They actually got to see a sleeping nurse shark, which was pretty cool. I was sorry we didn't have more time at this port and can definitely see going back there for a nice lazy week of hammocks and diving at some point in the future. The nieces (4, 7 and 9 y/o) weren't that keen on Camp Carnival at the beginning. By the end, they were much happier there and had made some friends. I wouldn't say that they raved about it and it often seemed much more like daycare than a camp with age-appropriate activities. However, there were some things that they definitely found fun. We didn't really attend a lot of the ship activities. We were too wiped after our excursions. We met at the cocktail lounges before dinner and at various other times. The grownups also spent some time in the bars later in the evenings. Billie's Piano Bar, which isn't that easy to find, is practically empty most nights. In part this is because the location is bad and, in part, it's because the entertainer isn't very good. He's a super nice guy, but he absolutely butchers some songs (ask him to play "Devil Went Down to Georgia" if you want a good laugh) and sings like he has marbles in his mouth. It's a good place to find seats and have a few cocktails. The Dreamteam sports bar is kind of weird because the ship doesn't get ESPN channels so they rarely have anything other than a random soccer game on the many tv screens unless there are sports on the major networks at the time you're in the bar. We aren't really clubbers, so we didn't hit Satchmo's or Medusa's. The casino was very smoky and pretty empty most of the times I went through there. I did play some slots on one day and ended up down about $20. It was up and down. I just didn't know when to say when. I have to say that Carnival exceeded our expectations. I will admit that our expectations were not tremendously high, but we were pleasantly surprised and I think all of us would sail with Carnival again. It was fun running into each other and all of our new friends on the boat. While we didn't have our traditional Thanksgiving dinner, with everyone cooking, we did have everyone together in the same place for Thanksgiving, which is something we haven't had for a long time. With all of us together at dinner and after hearing the horrible news out of Mumbai earlier in the day, we all had lots to be thankful for on the Carnival Legend.

Giving Thanks at Sea

Rates
Get Carnival Legend price drops

Balcony
Cabin 8E 6228
Lifeboats below, so no direct view down to the ocean. Didn't really notice. Balcony was a perfect size to be able to dry scuba gear and still have room to hang out.
Panorama Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins