3. Caribbean Princess
We booked princess for the second half of our honeymoon because we had heard it was on the level of celebrity, which we loved! It fell far short of our expectations in every way. Embarkation was ok, just a lot later than any other line out of puerto rico...No one boarded until 2pm and there were still lines at 5pm of people trying to get on the ship. We showed up at 11am and waited until 2, which wasn't bad because we had a seat, but I'd have been so mad if I showed up at 2pm and was still in line at 5 since our boarding passes indicated we should show up after 2 for a speedy boarding. After embarkation was the normal, go to the Lido and get some lunch. Very bland food, below average and far below all other cruise lines including carnival. Talking to other travelers who were captain's circle members (princess exclusive cruisers) they said everything including the food has gone downhill since Carnival had taken over... possibly milking the name and letting it go under? Holland America Noordam (also owned by carnival) still had fabulous food and service as of March 08. Back to the Caribbean princess, the ship was plain, less decorated and less embellished than all other ships. Two of the only positive advantages was Crooners martini bar (and Burte Stratton pianist) and the movies under the stars. Most of the food was barely palatable other than the signature dishes offered every night on the menu, those were ok, bland, but ok. The chef is italian, but even the italian dishes lacked flavor. The crowning moment of how dismal the food was occurred the last night of the cruise. I ordered Mango Strudel... imagine eating mango so overcooked it had turned brown, tasted like a bad chewy sweet potato and had been salted and mixed with sour milk. That's about what it was like. My husband was appalled, which of course we went to have our dessert at the martini bar at least the gourmet olives there tasted better as a dessert. That about sums up the food. Entertainment was lacking other than the pianist in Crooners bar. Skywalkers nightclub had an awesome location at the back of the ship, but played only heavy rap and R&B other than themed disco nights. This was not exactly relaxing or fun for even us (25 yr old newly weds). Also, nothing happens there until after 10:15-at least they could have light easy music or jazz until the hooligans show up, but it was obvious in every single way that princess was cutting costs everywhere, but not exactly cutting cruise fare. Service was ok on deck and in the dining rooms, not great, but ok. Room service for us was horrible (Mercy was our woman). She was friendly enough, but after the first night, any clothes that were on the bed when she came to make it up got randomly thrown on the floor or on a chair. Maybe we were spoiled in the past, but every other steward on other ships neatly folded them as she had only the first night. Also, no towel animals. They have a demonstration but that was it. Most disappointing of all NO Chocolate buffet... but considering the dismal food in the dining room and lido, maybe I wouldn't want this chef's attempt at a chocolate buffet. Oh another thing with lido food-it was generally re-makes and left overs from the night before. Breakfast had last night's dinner rolls and breakfast had yesterday's afternoon french fries. The beds were the most uncomfy ever, I preferred sleeping on the floor and most of the time in a pool lounger the next day from all the tossing and turning. Something always fell asleep- If I was on my side, it was my arm (the bed is that horrible), on my back, my butt, on my stomach I couldn't breathe. I could go on and on about the downfalls, but bottom line is princess is being driven under by unhappy staff, bad food, mediocre ships and entertainment. Next cruise for us will be back on Celebrity or back on Holland america. Norwegian and Royal caribbean are also still considerations, although the other two are leagues ahead in food and service, which to me is half the reason to be on a cruise! :)

NEVER AGAIN

Caribbean Princess Cruise Review by happycruiser11

happycruiser11’s Full Rating Summary
Rates
Get Caribbean Princess price drops

Cabin C703
good closet, Caribe decks have the best balconies on the ship, HORRIBLE BEDS, tiny bathroom (tinier than normal on other ships)
  Caribbean Princess Deck Plans