3. Norwegian Star
Background I wanted to do a different kind of cruise, so booked a pacific coastal repositioning cruise, Vancouver to Los Angeles. We had cruised with NCL in the past and were happy, so went with the Star. Decided to splurge and get a suite, albeit the lowest category, AE. Boarding There was another ship in port at the same time, and the line to security was quite long, took about an hour there. After that boarding was fairly quick, although we had a suite so got moved along because of that. Cabin It was nice, but not extremely large for being called a suite. Another new thing for us was a balcony on the stern, which was nice. Never met our room steward, I think since tips are automatic, they don't feel a need to initiate a personal relationship with their customers. Also had a butler, John. What a worthless piece of humanity. Only saw him twice, he was supposed to bring snacks and fruit every day. Got that stuff twice total. We did not bother with room service. Needless to say, the tip I left for him was ZERO. And I do not even feel bad about it. Dining As a suite guest, were entitled to use Cagney's for breakfast and lunch. This was probably the best perk of all. If indeed there were any others. Only problem was one breakfast I ordered the special, extra cost orange juice. It was so full of seeds and pulp I could not drink it, got tired of spitting out seeds. Told the waiter, and he supposedly ordered another for me, but it took so long to arrive I got up to leave, and met the concierge at the door. Complained to her that I had to pay for OJ that was undrinkable. Finally the waiter decided he better adjust the tab, as I was headed downstairs to find some to really complain to about it. Ate only in Aqua and Versailles for dinner. The dinners on NCL have really diminished in quality. Never did a waiter really impress us, and the food was average at best. I could not believe how thin they can slice prime rib nowadays, and I was really surprised on lobster night to only get 1/2 a lobster. Never did a waiter offer to bring additional courses. Entertainment The shows were about average, I was not impressed, but not disappointed in them. Overall I think NCL and probably all cruises lines are feeling the economic pinch, and trying to maximize income while minimizing expenses. I do not like this auto tipping. I don't think the staff is really motivated to impress, as they know they will get their tips anyway. Just so long as they do not really anger people, they will get their tips and get to keep their jobs. For this reason, my next cruise will be with Royal Caribbean.

Probably done with NCL