3. Norwegian Dawn
We are in our early 50's and have been on 9 cruises. This was our fourth time to Bermuda and first time on the Dawn. I have been on the NCL Spirit twice and love the Freestyle concept. We take a bus from PA to Port Authority Bus Terminal and a cab to the dock. Arrived about 11 a.m. and were on the ship by 11:30. Simple and fast moving lines. Love the welcome aboard drink. We were able to check our carryon bag at Dazzles lounge where they store it for you and give you a receipt and the item can be picked up when the cabins are ready at 2:00 p.m. I really appreciated this service. We had lunch in the Garden Buffet and the food selection was always good and my only observation is the set up of this buffet. It is U shaped with many selections so you must navigate the entire room in order to see what is there. This is the case with breakfast, lunch and dinner. If you get your breakfast on the left side of the buffet, the toast is all the way in the back corner of the right side. The drink stations are also disjointed and we laughed all week about how you must circle the entire area just to get a cup of coffee. The coffee is on one side, the sugar around the corner and the cream at the other end. Be sure and try the cold soups at the Garden Buffet. Yummy!!! I had the banana, pistachio (to die for!) and black cherry. Our outside cabin seemed small on first view but sufficient for the two of us for the week. It is set up nicely with shelves above the desk area and in the closet and two sets of drawers. Our luggage fit under the bed. Love the bathrooms with the sink area in the center, shower on the right with sliding door (no shower curtains sticking to you!) and the commode on the other side. The bed was the most comfortable ever and I slept soundly every night. The upgraded bedding was also very comfy with a down comfortable and soft sheets. Wish I would have asked what the mattress topper was made of as I haven't had a decent night's sleep in our bed since being back home. The food was excellent in the Aqua and Venetian dining rooms. DH is a picky eater and found something on the menu each night we dined there. Lobster was served twice that week. The first formal night it was a half of a lobster tail served with grouper and drawn butter. Excellent!!! Desserts on this ship are also very very good. I could tell a huge difference in the food since my first NCL cruise in May of 2006. We also loved the Blue Lagoon on Deck 7 and went for breakfast a few mornings and a good place to get coffee early in the morning. The entertainment was very good in the theatre. The dancers were very professional and the comedian Dave Heenan is a real riot. He is very personable and nice to talk to when seen all over the ship. The magician was good but his comedy lacking. This was our first cruise where we went to the show every night. Do not miss the crew's talent show. Excellent!! Also very good is the Bollywood show which has acrobatics and again, very professional. Aslo be sure and attend the Liar's Club show in the Spinnaker Lounge. Really funny!! There is a very good piano player in Gatsby's Bar and Dazzles features Jose and Patti a duo who does 60's, 70's, and a Neil Diamond song show. Not our cup of tea but they packed the area every night. We played Wii Boxing one day in Pearly's Pub and that was fun. Bermuda.......ahhh Bermuda, our favorite destination. We buy the bus and ferry pass and went to Horseshoe Bay twice and Tobacco Bay. Love the view when walking up the small hill behind the refreshment stand and seeing the beautiful blue lagoons down below. Embarrassed to say that we still have not made it over to Harbor Nights in our four trips there. We love the beach, touring around on the bus and ferry and once back on the ship, enjoy dinner and the ship environment. Our Meet and Mingle was very nice and the Hotel Director and Manager attended and they were very informative. Pedro the Cruise Director was very good and a really good sense of humor. With the new 2.0 there are no longer pool games on sea days but a reggae type band who played two sets each day. There was a medical emergency on our first sea day and only limited information at 11 pm with an announcement that the ship had turned around, the speed was increased and we were heading back to NYC. I looked out our cabin window and could not believe how fast we were traveling! We heard the next day that the Captain and crew were up all night, and a Coast Guard helicopter landed on the ship at 3 a.m. to airlift the passenger off. The ship then turned around and speeded back toward Bermuda and we arrived on schedule. Very impressive that the emergency was handled so swiftly and hoping all is well with the passenger. A wonderful vacation on the Dawn and my only complaint is that it had to end!!

A great cruise on the Dawn

Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review by tinker

• Sail Date: October 2008
  • Destination: Bermuda
  • Cabin Type: Obstructed Oceanview
A wonderful vacation on the Dawn and my only complaint is that it had to end!!
tinker’s Full Rating Summary