3. Norwegian Dawn
My husband and I cruised on the Dawn to Bermuda, leaving NYC on October 5th. The trip was a family vacation courtesy of my in-laws - all together there were ten of us ranging in age from 15 to about 65 (my husband and I are in our early 30's). Arriving at the Pier was a bit hairy. We just moved out of NYC so while I am used to NY traffic, the Pier itself was a bit more chaos than even I am used to however I think that was due to the timing (noon) of our arrival. After I parked the car and we got a porter everything went much more smoothly. About a week before the cruise I changed from a room next to our in-laws on Deck 9 to one on Deck 10 (just for a bit of privacy). That was the only real glitch we had checking in - NCL still had us on the 9th deck and I didn't catch the error until after we'd completed check-in so we had to check-in again. Once done we speed through the screening process and were standing on Deck 7 with our complimentary orange juice in minutes. We grabbed a quick bite to eat at the buffet while meeting up with family and waiting for our room to be ready. My memory is a bit hazy but I think our rooms were ready around 2pm. We were in Room 10026 and our excellent Stewards were Boris and Joel. I will request this room again if we are lucky enough to take the Dawn again and I hope we get the same stewards. Restaurants/Bars/Lounges - overall getting reservations at the specialty restaurants was simple and we were rarely unable to get into our first choice during our first time slot choice. Room Service - great for late night snacks of pepperoni pizza and brownies. Service was quick. Garden Cafe (buffet) - I'm not much of a buffet person. The buffet served its function - food whenever we needed to eat and couldn't get into another restaurant - although I only had to eat here a few times. Venetian - I only ate here for dinner once but the service was great and the food decent. The first full day at sea my husband I forgot the time change and showed up hoping for breakfast but found it was almost lunchtime. The servers seemed amused with our request for the fruit dessert plate as our appetizer - and it came without the cottage cheese - however my husband really loved the soup. Aqua - overall the best service of the cruise from Wesley and his assistant (Robert?); close second to Salsa as my favorite restaurant setting/atmosphere. I complimented the maître d' and filled out a service card. Blue Lagoon - decent food for what it is. One of the servers here had a bad attitude but this must be an annoying place to work since it is basically situated in a hallway between Reception and the gift shop/steps to The Venetian. Salsa (Tex-Mex) - excellent sangria, favorite restaurant setting/atmosphere Impressions (Italian) - not impressed with the food but the setting was amazing. Very easy to get reservation on the night we sailed out of New York. Le Bistro (French) - best service of any specialty restaurant and best food. I had the scallop appetizer and steak entree. My husband had mussels' appetizer and the sausage entree. For dessert we had the fondue. I complimented the maître d' and filled out a service card here as well. Bamboo (Asian Fusion) - the one specialty restaurant we missed. Whenever I walked past it was half full and there seemed to be seats available for Sushi as well. Teppanyaki (Hibachi) - fun for a group although the 19 seat limit made reservations a challenge Cagney's (Steakhouse) - difficult handling large group. Decent food. Don't order your steak anything past medium if you want it to be edible. Spinnaker Lounge - I liked hanging out at the Spinnaker lounge. My husband thought it looked like a strip club (hope that doesn't offend anyone). Service here was excellent even during the (packed) comedy show. Dawn Club Casino Bar - I don't gamble but my husband had a great time in the casino. I had to drag him away a few times and usually, when I couldn't find him around, I found him at the $10 blackjack table. Service here was good. At first Pat had to pay for his drinks but after a day, they were comped while he played. He ended the cruise up around $500. Dazzles - great little club area with a disgruntled, bad DJ however the fabulous service of Joel the waiter more than made up for it Dazzles 2 - Karaoke here the second night as sea was okay. The songbook is a bit stale and limited. It was during Karaoke that it was announced we had turned back to NYC to evacuate sick passenger. I hope that person is okay - we were not given an update which is understandable. Pearly Kings - NFL games the Sunday we were embarking in NYC there was a Giants game and an Eagles game at 1pm. I thought we'd be all set to watch the games at this pub but instead they had on the Carolina and Baltimore games - didn't make any sense since 90% of the guests were from the NY/Philadelphia area. Star Bar - chill scene - my favorite "secret hideout" - loved the martinis while listening to Fabrizio. The second time we went to Star Bar (with three of us drinking martinis) the server brought us a nice plate of cheese, bread and olives. Gatsby's Champagne Bar - I only had a drink here once on the last night of the cruise. My brother-in-law (26) really liked hanging out here, listening to the music. Java Café - I did not buy coffee during the cruise. My husband did a few times and seemed to enjoy the coffee. He tends to like Starbucks whereas I like Dunkin Donuts or more generic coffee. I wish the option for French press coffee was offered via room service. Bimini Bar - the servers at poolside were great. Fairly fast service whenever needed. Topsiders Bar - not sure if I used this bar or not - then again, I may be blurring Bimini and Topsiders. Bermuda - the first day in Bermuda we took the bus (#7) to Horseshoe Bay. I thought the food here was expensive but not outrageous for Bermuda. That night most of our party took the ferry to Hamilton for their last festival of the year. I wasn't feeling well so my husband and I skipped the trip. I did get to see some of the fireworks from the Star Bar. The second day in Bermuda we did a glass bottom boat tour and snorkel trip with Aquatic Bermuda (http://www.aquaticbermuda.com/). My family is still raving about this trip. The weather was a bit overcast so the water was a bit chilly but we had a great time. Tony and his wife, P.B., were awesome - so accommodating - taking us directly back to The Dawn instead of dropping us in Hamilton - entertaining and informative. Our final day in Bermuda we did some simple shopping at the Dockyard while the rest of the family did a Dolphin Encounter or swam and Snorkel Park. I had grand plans for this trip including lots of spa time and time in the gym but that all came to nothing. Somehow I also missed most of the shows. My in-laws saw many of the shows and enjoyed them - especially the comedian. Instead of accomplishing my To Do list I had the single most deeply relaxing and enjoyable vacation of my life. This far surpassed even my honeymoon. Usually but the end of vacation I am ready to get back home, even back to work sometimes. Not this time. I would have stayed and sailed another week or two if possible. Arrival back in NYC and Disembarkation were simple but depressing - so sad leaving the Dawn. The staff were so nice as we were disembarking and the luggage process was simple. We were off the ship and at our car by about 9:30.

Norwegian Dawn - NYC to Bermuda (Oct 2008)

Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review by GertieQ

Rates
Get Norwegian Dawn price drops

Balcony
Cabin BB 10026
Great slightly forward location. Fairly quiet. Loved the balcony - slept with the door open a few nights and loved hearing the surf against the ship''s hull. Excellent room stewards.
Deck 10 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins