3. Serenade of the Seas
We boarded Serenade of the Seas as Platinum members. We have been to Alaska many times, it will be our second cruise to Alaska, and we love it. Boarding was very quick. There was no one to show us to our cabin, but we found it quickly. The cabin was very nice and roomy with a deck. We met our stateroom attendant and he seemed very pleasant with a beautiful smile. On our first day out I went to the Spa and had a Hot Stone Massage. If you have never had one I would strongly recommend one. It was so fantastic I booked another one for later in the week. When we arrived at Icy Strait Point my husband took the Zip Line and loved it. It's very high and long so I would recommend it only for those people who don't mind heights. On the third day while we were cruising Hubbard Glacier, I fell and broke my ankle. It was no ones fault, just one of those crazy things. Our Cruise pretty much ended and a nightmare began. The ships Doctor took x-rays, taped my ankle and gave me crutches(which I never learned to use) and told my husband and I we needed to see an orthopedist or go the emergency room when we got to Juneau. We rented a wheel chair from Guest Services and talked to them about arranging transportation from the dock to the hospital or Dr. office. We were told they did not provide that service and I could not take the wheel chair off the ship. The Doctors office could not contact any of the appropriate offices in Juneau, so we were told to go the emergency room. The nurse told us she could arrange for someone to accompany us to the hospital. I said I would like that. She later called and said no one was available. The Doctor was to give us a referral letter, but it would not be ready before 9:00 on the morning we docked in Juneau. The Supervisor for Guest Services, who was very rude and condescending , finally relented and said we could take the chair off the ship but could not arrange transportation to the hospital. He said there would be plenty of taxies. We arrived in Juneau about 7:00 in the morning but could not pick up the letter until 9:00. We got to the dock about 10:00, there were no taxies. We met a gentleman, a resident of Juneau ,who was waiting with his van for crew members from our ship. The ship had arranged to have them taken to their Dr. appointments. He had to wait for the crew members and then he would take us to the hospital. This service was specifically for the numerous cruise ships that come into port every day. Our ship never called to arrange this service for us. Our ship had called a safety drill and the crew members were running late. A taxi finally came along , it was almost 11:00. When we got to emergency room we informed them we had to be back to our ship by 2:00, our ship was leaving at 3:00. We were able to see a nurse in about an hour, but there was only one Doctor working and he didn't think we would be seen and treated in time. We decided to go back to the ship and wait till we got home to have my ankle treated. We met another gentleman at the hospital that was waiting for some cruise passengers from another ship. That was his job, to escort cruise ship passengers to where they needed to go. I tried to enjoy what was left of our cruise, mostly that was eating. The menu for cabin service was very good for breakfast, we never used it for any other meals. We went to both specialty restaurants. The Italian restaurant ,with a mystery dinner theater was a disappointment, however the steak house was fantastic. The buffet area was not set up for wheel chairs, so my husband had to choose my food for me. We ate most of our dinners in the dining room, the food was very good and the service was always friendly. We went to several shows, they were okay but not great. I don't remember them so how good could they have been. Finally it was time to get ready to leave. We received three different announcements on where to go for the last morning. My husband had to go to the dreaded Guest Services again to find out where we should go. They informed him which announcement was correct then informed him they would be picking up my wheel chair the night before we were to leave. They would deliver another one when he called the next morning. On the last morning there is no service, and the chance of getting a hold of someone to bring another wheel chair would almost impossible. There was no cabin service on you last morning so how was I going to get my breakfast. My husband said he would not turn in my wheel chair, and someone in Guest Services said okay. Late on our last night someone came to pick up the wheel chair, my husband explained that Guest Services had said we did no need to. Not even five minutes later the head of housekeeping called to find out why we would not turn in the wheel chair. We are almost laughing at this point. On our last morning we went to have breakfast in the dining room, and then went to our appointed meeting place, it was not the right place. Finally we met a very nice lady, she showed us to the correct meeting room and she helped us leave the ship, get our luggage and she escorted us to the bus that would take us to the airport. There were some really pleasant crew on board. Our Stateroom steward was the greatest, the staff in the dining room, the bartender who make us our drinks and the lady who helped us get off the ship. Unfortunately the Guest Service Supervisor will always be the first person I remember when thinking about our cruise. I contacted Ms. Lisa Bauer, Sr. Vise President of Hotel Operations, when we returned home. I was contacted by two different people in her office. They were very sorry , that is as far as they would go. There is no other compensation for rude behavior by there crew. They sent a generic letter. I can’t imagine that I will ever travel with Royal Caribbean again. I was hoping they would give us a reason to try them again, a voucher for something on another cruise, or something that would be an incentive for us to try them again. They don’t stand behind what they say, so how can you trust them to care about YOU. I did find out why they kept such close tabs on their wheel chair, they were afraid we were going to steal it.

Downhill from Day 3