3. Splendour of the Seas
I just got off Splendour's Aug 30 Adriatic sailing. I had nervously read the primarily negative reviews/posts of RCI's smallest(!), twelve-year-old ship. As I really wanted to visit Dubrovnik and Ephesus on the same sailing, I thought I could put up with the various negatives I had read about. This was my 31st RCI/Celebrity sailing. Well, Splendour was truly terrific and I would return in an instant! Cabin: Aft D1 7132. Great, well-maintained veranda with two chairs and two chaise lounges and a large table. The new beds were good but the carpets rather stained and worn. The exterior of the cabinetry was good but the insides in dire need of replacement. The bathroom was very large but the vanity was cracked, the mirrors "desilvering" and some scary dark areas in corners that I didn't approach too closely! Again, the bathroom was OK but really needs to be replaced. The public areas, both indoors and out were in superb condition, beautifully maintained with new carpets in the corridors. The pool and spa areas appeared almost new. One would occasionally encounter "mystery" odors in the accommodation corridors but nothing too scary. The King and I dining room is in great shape and our waitress was superb and brutally honest. If we followed her recommendations, we never "lost". This did mean occasionally having the vegetarian entree and usually having fish. She recommended beef once during the cruise - if you're a "meat and potatoes" kind of diner, this is not the cruise for you. If you're open to trying new things, you'll be fine. The desserts were the best of any RCI ship so far. I read so many negatives about the Windjammer staff that I was shocked by how friendly everyone was. It's amazing what smiling and asking a server or staff member how their day is can do. I found the selection fine but the cutlery always frighteningly spotted/dirty/justplaingross! I can't comment on the entertainment as I usually avoid the main theatre but the ship's pianist, David McFarland is one of the best of my 44 cruises. A true gem with an encyclopedic musical knowledge. The Concierge, Kelly Rizzaldo was charming and very efficient. She was great in helping me deal with my charming neighbors who thought that broadcasting 4th-rate Ricky Martin clones on their ghetto-blaster at 3248 decibels on their veranda was acceptable behavior. I really found little difference in the overall experience between Splendour and (my favorite) Radiance-class ships except for the wonderful size that made everything easily available. Again, a truly great RCI experience!

Super Splendour

Splendour of the Seas Cruise Review by Dr. Cocktail

• Sail Date: August 2008
  • Destination: Eastern Mediterranean
  • Cabin Type: Superior Ocean View Stateroom with Balcony
Well, Splendour was truly terrific and I would return in an instant!
Again, a truly great RCI experience!
Dr. Cocktail’s Full Rating Summary