3. Navigator of the Seas
This was our first cruise and I had some second thoughts going into it, but I can honestly say it was nothing like I thought it would be. First of all, we were very pleased with our promenade room which looked out on the promenade deck which consisted of many shops and little cafe/bars. It was beautifully designed and each night the motif would change depending on what the theme of the following day would be. There were at least two parades I believe, and only one night was the music and the sound coming from the promenade so loud that it could be heard in my cabin. The rest of the time you were not bothered with any noise at all. Our cabin attendant was Carlton, and he treated us royally, making up our cabin twice a day and leaving always the little towel animals that I've heard are traditionally displayed on the bed, although the last night there was one little guy hanging from a coat hanger as a trapeze artist might do...very cute. We opted for the early seating for dinner and were served in the Swan Lake Dining Room on the fifth floor. Our waiter was a fabulous fellow from Hungary, Gabor. He took extremely good care of us, and I really liked being addressed as "Mum". He went beyond normal service in seeing to it that my husband was served with his iceberg lettuce salad almost every night (hubby is a plain eating fellow and was very happy with Gabor's willingness to help him out in this way.) The food was exquisite. I have never had such delicious food served in such style. The meals were looked forward to and enjoyed immensely. The excursions we chose were not exactly what I expected. We took the Island Drive tour of St. Thomas, and while the driver was very knowledgeable, we got kind of tired of hearing about Home Depot. If you take the tour you'll understand that the islanders or overwhelmed with joy to have Home Depot, and that's great, but.. Anyway, the views were breathtaking and we got a lot of lovely shots of Magen's Bay and at Mountaintop. The other excursion we took was the old city/new city tour of San Juan. I wasn't happy with having no chance to stop and take pictures except for the one at the fort. I tried to get some shots as we sped along, but because we were in the back of the van we couldn't hear well and the air conditioning wasn't very good either. I have heard that self reserved tours from independent tour companies are very good, some folks we met had told us about theirs. That might be worth consideration. Another couple we met had an unfortunate experience with the bike tour they reserved. I hope they get their money back as they never gained access to any bikes at all on their tour... We enjoyed the spa/jacuzzi when everyone else was off at a show. We did really enjoy the ice show which was top notch. And we also saw a show with some "gauchos" and comedian Tom Parks which was excellent. We were impressed with the "Clean Act" he did...it proves that you don't have to hear crude language to have a good time. I enjoyed very much the spa trip I made. I had the absolute face and body experience on the day before our trip ended. It was heaven. worth the $176 I had to pay. But look for those specials and when you're in port, you get 10% off. We had our formal portrait made the first formal night although not with the captain. He was very busy posing with many people. Although he was a good captain, he is not the permanent one. Captain Bang was unfortunately unable to sail due to his wife's illness but was expected back within a few weeks, I think. Our cruise director, Marc Walker, was great and I can't fathom how he musters up all that energy all the time. He was leaving to go to the Adventurer of the Seas as we left the Navigator. I guess these folks move around a lot. All in all, it was a lovely time and I have lots of photos to show for it. There was a bit of rough seas one day and evening but other than that, I really came to enjoy being "rocked" to sleep at night. I was surprised that I never got seasick although I was prepared with Dramamine just in case. Now I know though not to take so many clothes. I brought back many clean clothes. The embarkation was a bit tiring. We had to stand in line for an hour to get on. Debarking was quick and painless. We got our own cab and sped off to the airport whereupon we waited several hours for our flight, but that was okay since we wanted to be sure we were there. I was rudely welcomed back by cool winds and rain, and had to even buy a sweatshirt in Cincinnati before proceeding on home since I still had my island gear on.... It was lovely. We may do it again some day. Navigator is a gorgeous ship and you won't lack for a good time.

Navigator of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean