3. Adventure of the Seas
This was a a cruise undertaken by two families of four. This was our family's fifth cruise and first with RCI. Both sets of parents are 50-ish and the kids are 15, 15, 13, and 12. We flew into San Juan on Saturday, and stayed at the Intercontinental, all arranged by RCI. As this ship did not sail until 8 pm on Saturday it may not have been necessary. The Intercontinental is very nice, as it its beach and pool area. Restaurant Alfredo's is pricey and only fair. The only issue was confusion in our pickup on Sunday morning--we were told that it would be at 1 and that the driver would come into the lobby and identify himself as the RCI driver. We got on a bus at 1:30, the man never came in and announced himself, and frankly I am not certain that he was the right person. But he got us to the dock regardless! The beauty of this entire procedure was that our bags were taken separately to the ship; those persons who had their own bags (either from the airport or who stayed at the hotel but took themselves to the dock) had to wait in an extremely long line to take care of their luggage; those of us with no bags walked right on. We spent some time in Old San Juan before embarking. This was a waste. FYI, you cannot walk from the ship to Old San Juan (other ships dock right in town but not this one) Ship: Beautiful, and well maintained. The theatre spaces were a cut above those of other ships. The Promenade is a great public space. It works so much better than the "split" promenade deck of other ships. We loved having the shops, an eatery, and two bars in the central open space. Brilliant design idea. It was quite inviting, and a great place to people watch! Staterooms: From all accounts I was expecting these to be very small. They were more than adequate with plenty of storage space for two. Four would have been tough. Bathrooms were spotless. Tiny stall shower but perfectly adequate. One complaint: our daughters had an inside stateroom which frequently had a sulfurous smell. Outer decks and pool area: Laid out very well, with adequate number of chairs, plenty of walking space, and enough shaded areas. Very nice. Excursions: This was my only disappointment on this cruise. I did not feel that the desk personnel were really familiar with all of the excursions and they did not really help me to figure out what I wanted to do. In St. Maarten we took the Marigot/Beach tour, only to find on our arrival in Marigot that it was a French national holiday! (everything was closed.) They clearly should have been aware of this. They did give us a partial refund when we asked but we would not have chosen this tour had we known. In St. Thomas we did the Coral World/Megan's Bay tour. This was actually quite good. Coral World is an interesting place with an underwater observatory where you can see many varieties of tropical fish in their reef. We went to the beach on our own in both Aruba and Curacao. Overall I think that if we had it to do again, we would have just gone to the various beaches in a cab rather than doing excursions through the ship. Shopping: Excellent if you are interested in high-end watches, jewelry, etc. It was tough for my girls to shop--not much for them out there at a level between the souvenir shop and the diamonds. Ship staff: My husband and I felt very well taken care of and pampered by everyone we encountered. My girls, however, felt that they were not treated quite as well, as though they were an annoyance to some of the staff. Food: Very good. Interesting selections and overall great quality. The Cafe Promenade is open 24 hours, which is nice. Chef made a vegetarian Indian dish every night. Disembarkation: Take advantage of the offer to have your bags automatically checked. It is $20 and well worth it.

Adventures of Eight