3. Carnival Inspiration
August 7-11, 2008. Adults 6th cruise, kids 2nd. Kids hated the Disney cruise - too old. So, we wanted to give them another try at enjoying cruising. Got connecting cabins, they loved this, made them feel very independent, they are 16 and 12. We did purchase 4 walkie talkies beforehand, so we were always in touch w/them, as the walkie talkies worked through the entire cruise. First day was exploring the ship, and our first dinner. They matched us w/another 16 year old girl, and all three kids bolted after dinner, for fun around the ship. They seemed to enjoy this free time very much, since neither of my kids were interested in the club activities. 16 year old is shy, and 12 year old felt too confined by the clubs, wanted to be independent. With walkie talkies, we were fine w/all this, and enjoyed casino and bars together as a couple, and not being Mom and Dad! Second day was at sea. I pampered the 16 year old w/a mani-pedi. The spa messed it up, only gave her a pedi w/no french tips. When I called them, they refunded me. However, they did charge me an adult price for the pedi when she qualified for a teen price. I will deal w/this through email and see if I get refunded. All cruises are about double the cost of any treatment you could get at home, so I do them at home. Don't need relaxing when I'm already relaxing on a cruise! 12 year old got a little bored this day, and wanted to hang out alone in the cabin, once he got to this for a while, he was fine again. Skipped the fancy dinner that night, and thought it was a poor idea to have the midnight buffet that night, when the next day was cozumel and shore excursions. Seems like they could have matched that w/an at sea the next day. Food - Adequate. It was what I expected, nothing more or less. Typical Carnival food, only a few things stood out - Talapia at dinner, Snapper at casual dinner, Crab Cakes at dinner - ordered a second one! Service - dull. No one really interacted w/us, wait staff didn't even tell us what events were going on that night, or what meals would be the next day. Cozumel - we all loved the Atlantis Submarine. My husband dives, so it was not so exciting for him, but since the kids loved it so much, he enjoyed it too! It was a really great family day. Mexican cab rides are scary, but I had this experience before, so was ready for it. Shopping has very aggressive sales people. I don't care for that at all, but have learned not to look them in the eye, or they hound you even more. I basically did souvenir shopping in a "junk" shop, really getting everything I wanted to get. The second at sea day, we spent sleeping in after cozumel. My kids loved room service, and the freedom we gave them to order whatever they wanted. Had breakfast in room each morning, and kids had room service throughout the trip. I left them some $1 to tip with. The afternoon, we looked at photos, but no ship we have ever been on has a good way to find your photos, so we just went with the one from Atlantis of the four of us, and the camera we brought. Bought some alcohol on the ship, as the price was half what I spend at home. Of course, didn't save anything, as I bought 2 bottles! Disembarking was VERY smooth, as was Embarkation. Carnival REALLY has this down. OVERALL - For my husband and me, this was an average-type cruise. We want to try a newer, upgraded ship next time, as we have done several ships and lines in this class. For the kids, they really enjoyed it, and I think they would both do it again. Hope this helps! J.

family w/teen and tween

Carnival Inspiration Cruise Review by jb

jb’s Full Rating Summary
Rates
Ages 10 to 12
Ages 16+
Get Carnival Inspiration price drops

3rd room from elevator. This was not a problem. Didn't really have a lot of hallway noise, just drunks now and again! U58 and U60, shared room between us and kids. Could use more shelving in the open room area, closets had some but wanted some stuff out. Larger than typical room, did not feel I was stepping all over someone to walk to the closet!
  Carnival Inspiration Deck Plans