3. Grandeur of the Seas
Our 9 day Caribbean cruise on the Grandeur was overall positively wonderful. My boyfriend and I drove from Richmond, Va to Norfolk. Easy. We found the port without a problem, parking was easy. We arrived around noon and next time I would go a bit earlier. We did have to wait for a while but they served cookies and lemonade while we waited and made sure we had all of our paperwork filled out correctly. As I have read on many previous reviews, the Grandeur does show a little age. However, she is kept very clean for the most part. The tables up on Deck 9 by the pool could have used more attention. Other people's dirty dishes were often left on the table longer than I cared for. The ship is decorated very nicely with some interesting paintings. The service on the boat was superb! From the Great Gatsby Dining Room to the Windjammer to the lounges to the stateroom attendants- they were all wonderful. To me, the excellent service was one of the main things that made our trip a true vacation. There were many fun activities on board. You can do them all or do none of them but plenty are offered. The Quest was the most hilarious thing ever- all adults with a good sense of humor should attend! The bingo was fun, although a bit pricey, but I guess that is to be expected when playing for an $8000 jackpot! The RockWall was fun and we never had to wait. Okay- I didn't climb it but my boyfriend did a few times. We also enjoyed the Love and Marriage game show, the Mardi Gras party and the Casino was a big favorite. All four of our ports were great. We did not book any excursions through RCI and not only had a great time but also saved a lot of money. We went on a tour of San Juan ( Juan Carlos was our guide- truly hilarious- and they were waiting to take people as soon as we got off) The city itself is pretty dirty and smelly but the mountains and beaches were nice. Definitely go see the Capitol Building and the two forts. St. Thomas is good for shopping. Prices are very reasonable. We took a van to Megan's Bay which is pretty. We snorkeled there and saw a few fish, but loved the clear warm water. The Dominican Republic had to be my favorite stop. We found George who took us on a tour of Samana on the back of his scooter/motorcycle type thing. We took along a few beers and thoroughly enjoyed it. He dropped us off at a local restaurant where we had a delicious red snapper and fried bananas lunch. Knowing a little Spanish here was definitely a help. Out last stop was in Labadee. I thought this was the most beautiful beach I have ever seen- it was quite rocky but once you went out a little it became sandy. The water was as clear as could be and very warm. If I ever go there again I would definitely do the zip line. That did look like an awful lot of fun. The Haitian market was a little much for me with all the please come see my things, they are the best, etc......... I know they are just trying to make a living but I have a hard time shopping in that kind of environment. Be sure to haggle with them as they will come WAY down from what they originally ask for. Our stateroom was perfectly fine. The bed was so comfortable and I guess one of the benefits to having an inside room is that it gets completely dark- we slept like babies! Out attendant, Alvaro, was fabulous. The bathrooms are small, which we expected, and I never really did master the shower thing without flooding the floor. It was always clean and Alvaro got us everything we could have needed. Our one disappointment was dining in the Great Gatsby Dining Room. The service was fabulous ( thanks to Eva) but the food wasn't all that tasty. Meats were tough and to me tasted all the same. We went there for dinner 3 times out of the 9 nights. We ate in the Windjammer or ordered late night room service instead and were perfectly happy. The Windjammer has so much stuff to choose from- good soups, salad bars, stir fries cooked to order, yummy omelets in the morning. We were also pleased with room service getting Caesar salads, chicken wings, and a turkey sandwich. They were also quite prompt. We ordered coffee to be delivered in the morning which made waking up easier as we could relax and watch Dan's Morning Show before heading out for the day. Getting off on our last day ( we were so sad!!) was extremely easy. We chose to carry off our luggage and were back in the car by 8:10 am. Stopped for breakfast on the way home and were back at the house by noon for a 3 hour nap!! A few suggestions- we took along big insulated cups which we could use for coffee or ice water. You can fill up your cup anytime on Deck 9 by the Windjammer. Definitely carry off your luggage- if you can manage it. Get to know your favorite bartender- they will know your name after Day 1 and know exactly what you want and how you want it. Load up on spinach salads and steamed veggies ( they were very good). We left the ship without gaining a single pound! Take advantage of all the activities, but don't bother buying the $30 dollar video. It was not worth the money. Definitely go to Deck 5 to watch the sunsets. It was a very relaxing, memorable vacation- have fun :-)

Cruising the Caribbean

Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review by Marymajo

Our 9 day Caribbean cruise on the Grandeur was overall positively wonderful.
Marymajo’s Full Rating Summary
Rates
Get Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas price drops

Comfy bed, tiny shower, great attendant ( Alvaro)
  Grandeur of the Seas Deck Plans