3. Carnival Spirit
Visiting Alaska was on our "bucket list" and a last minute situation bumped it up to the top and allowed us to go - although for too short of a time - in June 28th. Yes, it would be alot easier to wait and stay up there longer, but I think we were excited enough to get the 7 days on the cruise. Without a doubt, we'll definitely return! We love the cool weather and it is slightly decadent to leave Virginia (90 plus weather) and spend one week away from the heat. We flew first to Seattle, courtesy of JetBlue free flight coupons. My first mistake was booking the round trip flight. Turns out that the one way flight from Anchorage to Seattle was actually the same cost as it would have been to fly from Anchorage to Washington, DC! I'll remind myself to check stuff like that out the next time. Arriving in Seattle, we rented a one-way vehicle to drop off in Vancouver. We were happy to at least get the 24 hours beforehand in that lovely city. Our compact car was switched when they realized our destination. Turns out they had a Canadian rental on the lot and there is apparently some sort of discount the vehicle rental companies get by returning each other's car. Who were we to complain with a Chrysler 300? The 3 hour drive was very nice...no traffic at all...and going through the Canadian checkpoint was all of 2 minutes. Our overnight stay at the Marriott Pinnacle was too short, but we were absolutely thrilled with the beautiful top floor view of the harbor and the ability to watch the cruiseships coming into port that morning. It increased our excitement for what was to come later that day. The morning pre-cruise was spent with a quick trip to Granderson Island (a great breakfast with crepes), a walk around the Capilstrano Suspension Bridge, and a driving experience among the city streets that are being prepared for the 2010 Olympics. Having a cruise port in Vancouver was great. It reminded me of what it might have been in the old days where people would come and wave you off on your adventure. The Pan Pacific Hotel had a nice area for anyone to sit, enjoy the waterways and be one of those bidding cruise passengers goodbye. The cruise was filled with good and not so good happenings. As first time Penthouse cabin occupants, we had been told to expect VIP treatment, especially during the check-in process. Unfortunately (as we were told later), the VIP treatment is not offered in Vancouver. I have no idea what the story is, but looking back now, it was sort of funny to be standing there and wondering when we were going to be "different" from others :) In spite of the VIP check-in not being offered, we moved quickly....going through the custom line, checking our passports, going through the cruise check-in and even our first of many photo ops. We were on board in about 30 minutes. Upon check-in, we discovered that our seating time was not what we had originally been given. Inquiries at the boat entrance had then directed us to the Pursers area. Lining up with others (and waiting 20 minutes), we were then redirected to the dining room. Lining up with another 20 minute wait, we finally reached the Maitre de. When we mentioned wanting to change to the early seating, he suggested that we might want to rethink the idea. Turns out that late seating had given us a private table for 2. We immediately agreed this was preferable and away we went to locate our suite. It was FANTASTIC and I think I will never want to cruise again unless I have something similar. Yes, I am well aware that most time is not spent in the room but after the cruise, I'm convinced that only those that want to sit among the crowd will say that . It was actually the opposite that occurred...we found having a large room with a sofa, chair and double balcony - not to mention the nice bathroom - made us want to spend alot of time in the cabin. The funny thing is that in the end, we had not one room service, which according to our room cabin, made us slightly unusual among the Penthouse cruisers. As long as he kept refreshing the ice bucket (I love drinking ice water) were were content and didn't need any pampering. The room had one bed, one leather curved couch, two chairs, a desk area and more closet space then you could ever fill - especially with the airline rules. There was a dressing area with makeup area and a bathroom with toilet, separate bidet and a tub/shower. We were also lucky to have a double balcony. We initially thought that we might want one of the suites at the end of the boat, but this was Alaska, and we decided that the best place was mid-ship to better see the coastline and hopefully wildlife. We were on the right side of the ship, to increase our view of something along the coast as we traveled north. On our particular cruise, though, there were sightings to the left side of whales. The cruiseline thoughtfully offered a nice blanket to wrap up in when enjoying the balcony. The scenery and quietness was wonderful. Being on east coast time, had us waking early each morning. This turned out to be a blessing as we were up and ready to jump off the ship at each port in the morning hours. Many shops - especially in Ketchikan - were actually opened at 7 am for the cruiseship crowd. Day 1: After pretending that everyone at the cruise dock were our friends, we waved goodbye and enjoyed the floating scenery from our balcony. We were off and happy to do this cruise on a northbound run. It was cool to have your first destination in Alaska and Ketchikan would prove to be our favorite. We grabbed lunch upstairs in the buffet area - I enjoyed the Pasta Bar but would become frustrated at the open/closed situation I'd find throughout the rest of the cruise. I would have preferred it to be available during lunch but that only happened two times - both when we were at sea. This was also the favorite area for kids and it would get frustrating to stand in line for a slice of pizza and then have someone in front of you take all 4 slices for their kids. I understand as a parent myself, the importance of serving everyone...my gripe was actually with the cruiseline. They should anticipate pizza being popular and increase what comes out of the kitchen to alleviate the lines. Thanks to taking Dramamine (yes, even in the waters around Alaska, you need it!), we had no problems and sleep came easily and early. Day 2: We're at sea and enjoying the cruiseship. To my surprise, there is a pool that is open. They had a retractable roof and this allowed them to use it on the Alaska runs. We mostly spent the day relaxing, going to hear about the port of calls and other cruise talks. Is it just me or are others tired of the push for particular shops? I'm not the least bit inclined to purchase jewelry or things that I can find back home. Shopping for me is the opportunity to find local items or souvenirs. It's hard to follow the recommendations of those who get a discount on their own purchases (or even free items). Casino surprise...they have video keno!!!!! OMG!!!! You have no idea how happy this made me!!! This was my first cruise with Carnival and if they all have video keno, I can get pass any of the other things I disliked. I've found a faithful cruiseline :) Day 3: Ketchikan - also known as my greatest adventure. I have developed a fear of flying over the past 10 years, but I was convinced that I should get outside my comfort zone and try a seaplane. So after some careful research, we signed on with Island Air. I figured if it's a woman behind the instrument panel, it might help (Yeah, maybe I'm being prejudiced but whatever gets me through, fine). The first part of the morning was spent initially with checking out some of the shopping recommendations. That got old really fast. I was so annoyed with one guy in particular who even followed us out of a store and kept asking us to come back inside for a "deal". I was happiest in seeking out the smaller stores with local crafts. In fact, I got a chuckle at one sign that was posted "we aren't on your cruiseship's list because we refuse to pay for the privilege". What a hoot! But I digress...we got on the seaplane and I lived to tell about it. It was excellent...great pilot, great views and even a landing to climb outside the plane to watch a mother and two cub brown bears. The pilot had a tendency to be more attentive towards the men on the flight which was fine by me - I was left alone to face whatever fears I might have. Day 4: Juneau -- Personally I would have rather had more time in Ketchikan but that might also be because it was our first stop. Spent the first part of the day shopping for what I wanted to buy - local stuff. Managed to find several local cookbooks and grabbed some cheap t-shirts for our kids. I was so tired that I let my husband go on a trip to Mendenhall Glacier. He took a local excursion just off the cruiseship area for $14 - far cheaper then those offered on the boat. Day 5: Skagway -- Spent most of our time by taking the train both ways. I happily spent most of the time on the outside of the train, snapping pictures of the scenery around me. This time my husband relaxed while I took the glass blowing excursion. I loved it but half of those that went were not happy people. I know that $199 was expensive and many would expect more then a simple christmas ornament, but having checked on glass blowing experiences where I live, the price was in line with home prices. Some wanted to make more then a ball but you only had so much time. I really enjoyed the quaint tea room where they served homemade offerings from their garden with the beverage of your choice - soda, tea or wine. Day 6: Sitka. This was another favorite stop for me. Perhaps it's because there aren't that many tourist here, but it was a lovely town. We had a ball when we hooked up with a fisherman, turned tour guide, who took about 7 of us in his own boat to enjoy some possible whale sightings. Not a fancy boat, but the stories he told were amusing and it lasted long enough to see a beautiful display by one humpback, loads of sea otters floating all around us, and a rather hilarious story about an April Fool's joke with the extinct volcano, a helicopter and some old tires. Priceless! We also had the best food sample....a couple of kids earning money on the street corner with a George Foreman grill and some hot dogs. Let's hear it for young entrepreneurs! Day 7: Our last day of cruising made me happy to again be headed north. There was something about spending your last day in the middle of Prince William Sound and the crackling of ice as it detached from the College Fjords. Day 8: Ended the cruise with a rather chaotic disembarkation. Again, contrary to being VIP cruisers, we were not one of the first to get off the cruise. In fact, the experience of getting off was so bad that we ended up leaving before our ticket number anyway...waiting 2 more hours for the rest of the people that had booked the same transport company, missing the one-way traffic signal and then having little time to see anything before flying from Anchorage. But it worked out in the end with the opportunity to stop off and visit some of the wildlife that we didn't see otherwise. A note on shopping....I had wanted a special native souvenir and had read much about the Musk Ox knits. This is a special knitting that is found in Alaska. Women from various areas are selected to make scarves and other items using the hair from the Musk Ox. It is a special thing to be selected and the yarn is not plentiful. You can tell from the pattern, what part of the Alaska area, the item was made. It's definitely not cheap but it was something I knew I would enjoy. I visited many knitting/fabric stores at various ports of call and finally managed to find a headband at the wildlife preserve. It set me back $200 for a headband, but priceless compared to the jewelry "deals". Food: I'm a picky eater and I really didn't enjoy some of my experience in this area. I can't really put my finger on it, but I think that one of the surprising things was that almost the exact thing was offered on the buffet as in the dining room. If I had realized that earlier, we probably would not have dined so often in the dining room and I would have had more to choose from in the buffet. Oh well...I learned. We found out on the last dining day, that there was a hot dog/hamburger place near the pool area. My husband, the fruit lover, was sort of tired of the same fruit over and over. Desserts didn't seem as bountiful compared to what I had experienced on a Royal Caribbean. We never purchased the drink coupon....my husband figured there was no way that he would drink $50 of soft drinks and I drink water which was available whenever. I purchased one Pina Colada because I wanted the cool Carnival tail. For some weird reason, I was the person that had the problem drinks....they had to give me 4 different drinks because each time there was a defect in the container and the drink kept running out at the seams. It was funny after the 2nd one....irritating by the 4th. My gaming consisted of playing keno, keno, and more keno. They were somewhat tight compared to Las Vegas video keno machines, but I managed to finally hit 7 out of 9 for $75. My husband decided to try the poker tournament and managed to get 2nd place. He surprised me by taking the winnings, renting a tux on the ship and making reservations for the supper club. The supper club was wonderful. I know you get meals for free elsewhere on the ship, but it was a nice memory of our extravagant trip. What surprised me though, was the lack of dressing nice by many of those in the room. Maybe they're wanting to maximize the number of people, but I think it's really the one place that should have been kept to a dress code. I hate to dress up like many myself, but I also think there is a time and place for things. The supper club, to me, should have been afforded the following of the suggested dress code - and enforced. Jeans and a t-shirt (not even a nice one at that) should have been declined. We enjoy the various courses, including a couple of treats that were added as a surprise to the evening's menu. The steaks were wonderful - like dining at Ruths Chris. Photography: I thought they were pretty laid back. They were there and would ask if you wanted a photo, but I never felt like they were bugging me too much. Wait Persons: I found some in the buffet area to be rather rude, but otherwise they were great. Naturalist: The naturalist on board was wonderful. She had done research in that area in the past and was very familiar with things. Loved the slide show but there was a little more "environmental activism" then I needed to hear. Negatives: 1. Having shrimp pasta on the menu one night, asking if we could have it without shrimp and being told no. 2. Not putting out enough pizza at a time to allow for families needing the entire pan (4 slices) while others want to get some also. 3. The waitstaff in the buffet area who were constantly cleaning even when you were still trying to eat off the plate at your table. 4. The guys who kept pushing stores that didn't serve those who wished to find local items. 5. The lack of VIP services that were supposed to exist. Not that we need to be different, but when you get information that you should look for certain things, you sort of expect to see it. This included priority boarding and embarkation, priority luggage deliver (never happened). Positives: 1. The room was wonderful and something to strive for in future cruises. 2. Video keno in the casino...what a wonderful surprise! 3. Our server who saved the bread pudding dessert from the night we went to the supper club and gave it to me the next night. Bless him! 4. Housekeeping deserves most of the tips in my opinion. They worked 12 hours and still would make an attempt to help with anything after those hours. 5. The ease in which moving on and off the ship was done after the first day in port. Once everyone got used to what to do, it went alot faster!

Alaska we hardly saw you!

Carnival Spirit Cruise Review by Kenomom

• Sail Date: June 2008
  • Destination: Alaska
Kenomom’s Full Rating Summary
Rates
Get Carnival Spirit price drops

Category 12 (Penthouse Suite) was great! One queen bed, one leather couch, two chairs, desk area, HUGE closet space - 3 plus 3 dresser areas, vanity desk, dressing area, bathroom with bidet, tub/shower, double balcony with two lounge chairs, two regular chairs. Recommend the mid-ship cabins, particularly on the right side if heading north bound to offer maximum viewing of the coastline and ports. Left side also offered great views for when we docked at several of the ports.
  Carnival Spirit Deck Plans