3. Navigator of the Seas
We took an 8 night Mediterranean cruise on Navigator as part of a charter from Atlantis cruises. They supplemented the RCI staff with their own, but I'll just focus on the RCI aspects of the cruise. We boarded at Barcelona and then stopped at Marseilles, Livorno, Naples, Mykonos, Santorini and finally Civitavecchia, where we disembarked. This was a great itinerary and allowed us to visit a variety of countries and see some amazing sites. Embarkation: Both Navigator and Voyager had embarkations in Barcelona so there were a lot of cabs going to the port! We got to the dock a little after one and had checked in and received our Sea Pass cards in about 20 minutes; we had to wait about another 40 minutes to board the ship, but they kept everything moving well and we were able to sit and relax in the large terminal while waiting to board. Best thing was our cabin was ready with our bags in it by the time we got on board. DEcor/Facilities: The ship was beautiful and very well-maintained. We had a balcony cabin on deck 8 right by the Internet lounge and it was very roomy, with plenty of storage space and really huge closet that had two levels of racks for hanging clothes. The cabin was more spacious than I had anticipated and it was decorated nicely. The bed was very comfortable. The main promenade area of the ship was gorgeous, with lots of striking art work. There also seemed to be plenty of small bars, lounges and alcoves where you could find a relaxing place to sit. I loved the small solarium pool, which featured padded lounge chairs and a lovely tile floor. Views of the Mediterranean are already beautiful, but the view from the Cosmopolitan Bar was fantastic on deck 14 was amazing. The fitness center was large and well-appointed and definitely welcome after eating so much. Treadmills and cross-trainers have beautiful ocean views. Food: We ate breakfast at the Windjammer every day as we didn't have time for a sit down. I was able to find different things to eat and it was okay, but nothing special. I heard others say they were not that impressed and if you want crispy bacon, you are out of luck. It was also challenging to get coffee at times as you had to ask for it; I'd prefer a self-serve machine to expedite service. We ate lunches at the Windjammer and at Johnny Rocket's. Johnny Rocket's costs extra, but the wait staff was fun and did a lot of singing and dancing, plus it is up high on the ship and you can sit outside, which is very nice. Lunches were disappointing as the selection was not that great and many items had a tendency to be overdone. One odd thing, on a day that had hot dogs, they had no hot dog buns, although we saw those at other times when there were no hot dogs. Desserts were always pretty good, especially the cookies! However, the frozen yogurt that came out like soft-serve was not very good and tasted like chemicals to me. We ate dinner just about every night in one of the main dining rooms; the menu was the same in each. They did not have seatings on this cruise, but you would go and get seated at the next available table. I actually liked meeting new people most nights, and even ended up having dinner again with some of our previous tablemates because we enjoyed the company. There was usually a good selection of appetizers and entrees and I was able to try a variety of things each night. The quality of the food in the dining rooms was significantly better than at the buffet. I was surprised at the gap in quality. Overall, food at breakfast and lunch was so-so, but dinners in Swan Lake or the other dining rooms were good. Service: Our cabin steward, Rupert, was awesome. He introduced himself to us the first day and we often saw him on the floor. We had towel animals every night and our room was always cleaned early and refreshed during the day. In most of the bars, service was pretty good. We had trouble getting a bottle of beer in the Cosmopolitan Bar one night because they had a party to set up for in 30 minutes and told us they didn't want to have to kick us out. I told them I just wanted to get a bottle of beer and then I'd leave but they insisted we go to another bar. This was after I'd spent 10 minutes waiting for the bartender at the 19th Hole bar (about 20 feet away) to finish making the large drink order he had to prepare. It didn't make sense to me that one bartender could be overworked, and then two other bartenders within shouting distance could stand there with their arms folded, doing nothing, and the supervisor wouldn't let them give me a beer. Service in the dining rooms was generally good, although some of the servers really imposed themselves on you. Two in particular spoke very loud and very quickly and sort of steam-rolled the table. I understand they need to keep things moving, but others were able to do it more graciously. Overall, service was fine and at a good pace, but trying to get a drink was hard because there were different people who took orders for wine vs. soft drinks or liquor and if you asked the waiter, he'd say he'd send the appropriate person over, but that didn't always happen so a couple of times, I couldn't get a beer with dinner because the beer person never came to the table. Not really anything that hampered my enjoyment of the cruise. Shows/Entertainment: This was a charter cruise so some of the entertainment was from the charter company (Atlantis) while other acts were the regular ship entertainers. For the regular RCI entertainment, the Broadway revue was very good for a cruise ship; we live in New York and see a lot of shows and the singers and dancers they had were very good. The Ice Show was entertaining as well, although due to the small size of the skating area, you won’t be seeing too many spectacular jumps or tricks, but enough to keep you entertained. The Mardi Gras parade was also a lot of fun, but I imagine people with inside cabins overlooking the promenade thought it was loud. We liked the trivia contests in the Two Poets pub and that was a fun place to hang out and watch people walk by and say hello. Debarkation: This was a little delayed because we were late getting into the final port due to a sick passenger who had to be taken off the ship near Sicily. The process was okay, but we had to sit in the hall for an extra hour due to the delay. It would have been preferable for them to make an announcement that everything was being pushed back an hour from the original published schedule, but again, this didn’t seem like such a big deal. Definitely would do a cruise like this again and definitely give RCI thumbs up for maintaining a beautiful ship and providing a consistent level of service throughout the week. My only previous cruise was on NCL America, which I thought was fine, but now after experiencing this cruise, I understand why so many others on that ship were disappointed. It’s easy to get used to being treated nicely in such lovely surroundings.

Brilliant time at sea

Navigator of the Seas Cruise Review by nymetsfans

nymetsfans’s Full Rating Summary
Rates
Get Royal Caribbean Navigator of the Seas price drops

Cabin is directly in front of the entry from the elevators to the hallway but it was not noisy at all. Plus, due to the bulge in the ship, our balcony stuck out further than others beside us which gave additional privacy.
  Navigator of the Seas Deck Plans