3. Statendam
My parents and I cruised the Inside Passage to Alaska in late June 2008, enjoying a Verandah Suite cabin on the Navigation deck. This cruise exceeded our hopes! The port at Vancouver was extremely well organized and embarkation went smoothly. Vancouver itself is a delightful city and I enjoyed Granville Island, Stanley Park, and the multitude of restaurants and shops in the few days I spent there for a conference before the cruise. Our cabin was spotless and luggage was delivered without incident. Our concierge, Jackie, was charming and helpful. We loved the spacious outside deck, and it afforded many excellent views during our cruise. We felt that the additional perks of the Verandah Suite were well worth the price. The surprise binoculars provided for our use during our stay were great. Breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill was lovely, with excellent service. The Navigation Deck lounge with food presentations and beverages were wonderful for snacks and quick breakfasts. The concierge service was helpful for check out procedures and dining arrangements. The food was a hit with all of our party. Everything was delicious and the choices were mind boggling. We enjoyed the bars and mixed drinks, and I felt the prices were typical of bar prices in my home city and at other resorts. The wine choices were abundant. We preferred dining in the Rotterdam to the Lido buffet. The seating always seemed to be a problem in the Lido, and it often seemed crowded. I did enjoy the pool deck grill the one day I tried it- the hamburgers, fries, and pizzas were delicious! The ship amenities were outstanding- from plenty of towels poolside, to warm blankets on the deck chairs, to the spotless facilities throughout the ship. The services were also excellent. The naturalists who provided presentations during the visit to Glacier Bay were knowledgeable and very approachable. We enjoyed all the educational lectures. Dining room service was consistently good, and we were impressed with how many staff remembered our names during the week. Bar service was attentive everywhere we went. Day trips were both educational and fun. I enjoyed the Temsco helicopter ride/dogsledding on Mendenhall Glacier. We all participated in the Yukon Pass railway at Skagway (HIGHLY recommended) and the wilderness exploration/crab feast in Ketchikan. From the ship we saw humpback whales, dolphins, puffins, sea otters, harbor seals, and even a couple of bears along the shore. Overall, the experience exceeded our expectations. We were all first time cruisers, on our first trip to Alaska. It was indeed worth the wait!

Wonderful Experience!