• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

First Time Cruiser • Age 50s

Sail Date: Jun 2008
Cabin: Balcony
Traveled with children

We thought it would be a great idea to take a cruise as soon as my son got out of school for the summer. My family has been on 11 cruises between Carnival and Celebrity and we feel cruising is the best way to travel when we are not at Disney World. We would have loved to sail on our favorite cruise line, Celebrity, but they were not going to the Caribbean in June. I researched an itinerary that would take us to places that we had not been before, in the Caribbean, cost less than our regular cruise adventures and required no airports. We decided on Norwegian because we could drive to New York from Maryland and get right on the boat. I booked the cruise online in February and it was a piece of cake. The price for our cabin went down a bit and I was able to get the price reduction without any issues. The pre-cruise experience with Norwegian was great and left me hoping that the cruise itself would go as smoothly. I was so optimistic about the trip that I asked my sons best friend and mother to come along with us since they had never cruised before.

Once the ship sailed the differences between Norwegian and Celebrity, even Carnival, became obvious.

Embarkation/Disembarkation: we left for New York on Saturday morning June 14th and arrived at the pier around 1:30 pm. We were able to unload the car and get checked in in no time. We were presented with champagne drink options as soon as we walked on the ship which we thought were fantastic. We went to our cabins to drop off our carry on bags and then went up to get lunch. Lunch was an interesting experience. Where are the trays to carry your food? We participated in the standard life boat drill and sailed a little after 4:00 in a very bad thunder storm. Leaving the ship on the final day was uneventful (thank goodness). Based on our luggage tags we were off the ship around 11:30 a.m. and in our car for the drive back to Maryland. Dining: first Saturday night, we went to the Garden Room for dinner. The food was o.k. but the table staff was not friendly. We were not made to feel welcome and the table attendants really didn't want to chat with us. We thought perhaps it was the first night of the cruise and everyone was getting in sync. We felt rushed in the dining room because other people were waiting to be seated for their freestyle dining experience. The food was "just o.k."on Sunday when we went a specialty restaurant "Le Bistro" for Fathers Day. Once again the table attendants really didn't want to chat with us. The remainder of the week was pretty much the same with a consistent theme about the table attendants. We did go to Windows, Cagney's Steakhouse and Shogan Asian Restaurant. The food in Windows was again "just o.k." with Cagney's and Shogan both coming in with better tasting cuisine. The service at both the specialty restaurants was better and the table attendants in Cagney's met our expectation with personality and service, thank you Horace from Jamaica.

Balcony

Cabin BD

Great bathroon layout, limited drawer space, too close to machine noise at the back of ship, no minibar refrigerator.

previous reviewnext review