3. Diamond Princess
We booked this cruise because it looked beautiful and saw the good reviews it got online. Also, we got a great deal on it, only 450 for a 7 day. Boy, were we sorry. I should start by saying that the group I traveled with is used to something a bit more fast paced than what we got. The ship was bustling with the 55 and older crowd, and not that I have a problem with them, but they were just a bit too quiet and snobby to our liking. We also chose this cruise because of the "extensive" child facilities. Our two 15 year olds and one 16 year olds were always complaining that there was nothing to do for them and one even spent the last few days in the cabin just playing games on his laptop. The food was horrible. It looked really nice, but, just like the ship, that's all it had to offer. The only thing edible on the lido deck was the pizza. The food in the dining rooms was not much better, and when my daughter asked for the Grand Marnier souffle for dessert one night, the waiter wouldn't let her have it because it contained alcohol. WOW. Great excuse, right? We paid for that food and we should be allowed to order what ever we want. The only time the service was good was during tea time. The entertainment was blah. My husband and I ended up leaving early on 2 occasions because we simply did not enjoy the shows. The fitness center was busy at all times. The equipment was nice though, very new looking. Embarkation/Debarkation was well organized and we were on without too long of a wait. Our stateroom was rather small, but as always, the beds were just so amazingly comfortable. I slept like a baby every night. The ports were so-so. I recommend buying the shore excursions from private companies because the ones offered by Princess were overpriced. The good thing about the ports is that there are lots of liquor stores and Princess wasn't anal at all about letting us 'sneak' some on. Sure saved us a couple hundred bucks. In conclusion, you get what you pay for. The 450 bucks was worth it, but I would have gladly paid more for something that had better entertainment and more activities.

It looks better than it is...

Diamond Princess Cruise Review by cheermyantidrugg

• Sail Date: June 2008
  • Destination: Alaska
cheermyantidrugg’s Full Rating Summary
Rates
Ages 13 to 15
Ages 16+
Get Diamond Princess price drops

Small, well designed, quiet location
  Diamond Princess Deck Plans