• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

Vanessa Wallington
First Time Cruiser

Sail Date: Jun 2008
Cabin: Mid-Ship Inside

Well, first I should introduce myself and give you some info.I am in my fifties and went on this cruise with my husband and another couple - they went Kate Winslett and had a balcony suite,we went Leonardo Di Caprio in an inside cabin. I am disabled and had been given a bum steer by my booking agent who told me I could not have a disabled cabin unless I was bringing a wheelchair on board and as I was taking an electric buggy instead NCL would not allow it. Too late I found out this was rubbish, as NCL recognize the buggy as a wheelchair but all the disabled cabins were booked by the time I discovered this. The crew were great and rearranged the furniture for me so I could park the buggy in the room. Both my husband and I are pretty easy to please so this is from the angle of someone who only complains if something is truly crap. Now, boarding the ship was a complete disaster but NCL can be forgiven as they had a breakout of Acute Gastroenteritis and had to sterilize the entire ship before allowing passengers on board and into their cabins. Consequently we were not allowed into our rooms until after six and the luggage did not arrive until well after 8 pm, so everyone was meandering aimlessly about. Not a happy ship day one. However, The ship itself is clean, bright and well laid out and the staff cannot be praised highly enough - nothing was too much trouble and we were always greeted with a smile. Now,the ship was not a problem for the disabled/pushchairs but I had huge problems with some of the excursions...details to follow later but I shan't ramble on about it too much! Quick resume: Copenhagen - absolutely wonderful, clean, we did the ice bar NCL excursion in the afternoon and had a ball. Did our own city bus tour in the morning, stopped for a drink or two - the bar/cafe took Euros so no problems with the currency. Hop on-hop off bus was waiting as we left the ship, cost about £18 for the tickets and again took Euros.

Warnberne - we have been to Berlin before so stayed around the port and here's where we and many others had a problem - there was an underpass into the town, steps only, no ramps so my husband and our friends had to manhandle both the buggy and me to get me into the place! Several pushchair users also struggled. But it was well worth the visit, a lovely old fashioned town. Again we stopped for a drink and it wasn't too pricey. Later we went on the boat trip to Rostock, a very nice 45 minute trip for 10 euro return - you can get off and catch a later boat back but we were running short of time so came straight back. Had a hot chocolate on board - delicious and cheap too!

Tallinn - now here we had a huge disappointment. It was a Sunday and nothing seemed to be open, there was nothing to see really. We again took the hop on hop off bus, under £20, but had to wait ages at the bus stop once we had meandered round the cobbled streets which were very uneven. Couldn't find a toilet and had to sneak into the only cafe we found open. We kept thinking we must have missed something but apparently we saw it all.

Mid-Ship Inside