3. Navigator of the Seas
We flew BHX to BCN for 2 nights in Barcelona allowing us to spend a full day in Sitges (about 6 Euros return on the train)before starting the cruise. EMBARKATION: This was fast & easy due to the fact we beat the rush & with the On Line Check In forms completed were onboard in minutes. PUBLIC ROOMS: Three of our party of six cruised N.O.T.S. in it's inaugural year & three were new to Voyager Class ships. I was impressed by the overall condition of the ship after hundreds of thousands of pax had made their mark on it & I was pleased to see it could still cut the mustard in the Wow Factor Department. CABINS: Two cruises, Two different Cabins. First was Promenade View over the Two Poets Pub, good for watching the Grand Parades. Second was Oceanview, both were of a good standard of cleanliness & showed little sign of aging. Well done RCI. PORTS OF CALL: MARSEILLES was rained off for all except the brave & ships tours & was a longish journey into town from the dock. CAGLIARI (Sardinia) We spent a couple of hours walking around. Found the local market. Had a drink. Walked back. Nothing different to a lot of Med Towns. PALERMO (Sicily)See Above. VILLEFRANCHE Love it. A unique harbourside & a short train ride to Monaco to the east & Nice to the west. IBIZA Overnight till 5.30am. This was my first time there & was very surprised by it's narrow streets in the old town, all buzzing with atmosphere, even though it rained all night. FOOD: We all considered the food in the Main Dining & Windjammer to be of a very good standard for a 4* cruise line but here comes my/our major complaint. For the last fifty years of cruising, Second Sitting Dining has traditionally been 8.30pm, Give or take 15 minutes on all lines. RCI in Europe have moved to 9.15 pm which for most of us of a certain age found to be unacceptable to our digestive system. Finishing a large rich meal, with wine, at 11.00pm night after night, left us all with uncomfortable sleepless nights. This in my view is nothing to do with customer satisfaction, but more to do with breaking the traditional dining values & making the move to 'Freestyle' dining an easier acceptance to us non believers. ENTERTAINMENT: The Shows were 'Standard Cruise' & competently executed. The Ice Show was excellent as ever but was the same show I saw in its inaugural year. C'mon RCI we are not all first timers 5 years is a long time without change!! FORMAL NIGHTS: Well what a difference between the two cruises!! First Cruise 5 nighter, Marseilles, Cagliari, Palermo had 1800+ Brits, A large Spanish contingent, German in third place & then the rest of the World. Plenty of Tux's worn by the old gits like me & suits & ties by the younger generation. Second Cruise 4 nighter Villefranche & overnight in Ibiza, Brits down to 200+ & replaced by the local Spanish Youth (Ibiza probably had an effect) Tux's were clearly below 10% (I counted 14 on the Formal Night Photo Display the next day) & a new dress code was born! Crumpled T Shirt, Crumpled Shorts & Backpack surgically attached over the right shoulder with complete wardrobe inside, a replacement crumpled T Shirt & obligatory bottle of water. Remember this was Formal Night or was I having a nightmare? 'Scruffs' could be the New RCI Dress Code. My final problem is an important issue which is too long to discuss at length on this review. 'No Alcohol Hand Wash anywhere on the ship'. This was picked up by half of our party, as soon as we boarded, as they are NHS employed. I overheard someone ask for handwash as he entered the Windjammer & he was told they no longer have it!! These gripes aside, the overall cruise experience was a good one & would in no way deter us from using RCI in the future.

B2B Barcelona 4/5 Nighter