3. Splendour of the Seas
We sailed with a group of cruise passengers (109 in total)out of venice Italy on May 17, 2008. having sailed on the "Splendour" twice before, once out of Tampa, Fl. and once out of Barcelona, Spain we had high expectations as to what we should expect on board our cruise ship. Let me go over various aspects that I found both enjoyable as well as frustrating. First - Embarkation, it was a breeze. My wife and I are "Diamond" members and as such have cruised with RCCL on 21 previous occasions. The check-in process was a quick as could be. We arrived at the ship around 1:00 p.m. and after checking in went straight for the "Wind Jammer" to eat lunch. The food served there was just what I have always come to expect from RCCL. No disappointments. Second - Cabin & Steward, Our cabin was an inside "J" not very big but, big enough for a cruise that would have us on land most of the time. Our cabin steward "Al" was awesome. He did everything we asked for and then some. (ex. I am a diabetic and when I asked if there was a small fridge available to keep my insulin cold he personally went down and brought up a small beverage fridge from somewhere. Third - Dining, we had early seating on the first floor of the "King & I" dining room. Having previously sailed on 21 other RCCL cruises I have come to expect a certain level of food quality that was just not available on the "Splendor". They have recently changed their menu and not only is it not that great, it would appear that it has been cheapened. By that I mean there was no longer "Lobster" available on the menu, something that I always enjoy even though I am not a "seafood" eater. Several nights I was very disappointed with the food quality and one nIght I actually got up from my table after appetizers and went and ate in the "Wind Jammer" (much better food)and then came back down for desert. Of course our Waiter was wondering if everything was okay and I honestly told him that the food was just not up to par with what I have come to expect from RCCL. I have to admit that the new menu leaves a lot to be desired. One would think that since we are sailing the "Greek Isles" we would have greek food at least once during the cruise. That however was not to be the case. Our waiter (Adrian) and assistant waiter (Jo) were great as far as the service goes and Adrain was concerned that my dislike for the food served in the "king & I' would affect his overall performance score after the cruise. I assured him that this would not be the case as he had no control of either the menu or how it is to be cooked. That brings me to my next point. It would appear that RCCL puts a great emphasis on how their staff rate on the survey that is put in your stateroom on the last night of the cruise. I say this because every time spoke with our waiter he reminded us of how important it was that we give a good report on the survey. It may have just been our waiter that was making it seem so important, I am not sure. That being said, if it is RCCL and not just the staff making such a big deal of it they should use other means to evaluate their staffs performance as well and not just the survey. Last, but not least. - Ports of call, Greece and Croatia are very pretty countries and we had a fantastic time while on land. Everywhere that we went it seemed that we had stepped back in time. Overall, we had a great time and would do it all over again with RCCL. I might however chose a different ship as the "Splendour" is starting to show her age.

SOMETHING LOST IN ALL IT'S SPLENDOR