3. Norwegian Dawn
This was our 7th cruise, 1st on NCL. Never again. Having sailed only on Holland America, this cruise came as a disappointing shock. LOUD music(?) greeted us and never stopped. Ironically, the captain's voice and instructions could not be heard over the din. The only quiet place we could find in over 7 days was our own cabin - into which the captain's voice was not projected unless you had the TV on! Oh, the TV. It worked only 2 nights "because we are having trouble with our satellite." "We apologize for the inconvenience." I've never heard that phrase as often as I did last week. We did look forward to watching the ship leave the harbor from the forward lounge. Unfortunately it stank of sewage both inside and out. We tried going back each night and it was the same; one waiter, a few passengers, and an unusable, gorgeous space. Each time we entered, gagged, and left. The ship was filthy; our cabin still reeked of former passengers. Cabinets, drawers, windows all contained handprints of prior passengers. Dust and grease everywhere. Trim on closet cabinetry missing; worn looking frayed furniture. Rubber bath mat was filthy and made entire bathroom stink through out cruise. In 7 days onboard, linen was changed only once; when we requested it. On several days pillows were merely turned over instead of changed. A 12 inch tear on duvet cover; solution? Turn it over! No room service to speak of; either "too busy" "unavailable" "too late" or they simply didn't answer their line. When breakfast did arrive, it was cold, sugar or salt or pepper or cream was missing and had to be requested. Everything felt on the cheap, and we felt resented for requesting ordinary condiments. Coffee arrived in stained, tarnished and dented carafes. Were we in steerage? My husband became our room service, running back and forth to the cafeteria line to bring semi-dry cold food -- and a cup of tea, for which room service was too busy. In Cagney's, with its $20/person surcharge, we were told the steak my husband wanted would cost an additional $10. Total misrepresentation! And drinks through out the ship were exorbitantly priced! Great food in the pricey restaurants, but unadorned, bland, leftovers in the others. At dinner one evening, the lady at the table across from ours began coughing severely. As she continued I realized she couldn't speak and her coughing worsened. I rushed to her table prepared to perform the Heimlich maneuver, but first I took her hand and asked if could talk. She could, but barely, and I stayed with her until the episode passed. She was embarrassed at having made a scene - yet she had definite medical issues which could easily have resulted in tragedy and needed immediate attention. After I had been with her for several minutes, a waiter meekly approached, said nothing, looked helpless, and left before I did. On the last night we went to the talent show to hear a friend play piano. We arrived a bit late and it was dark. The stair railing ended mid-way down the steps. We wanted to be in the first row. I have trouble seeing in the dark but expected an usher with a flashlight. No such thing. Although I was holding my husband's arm, with no arm rail I missed last step and fell, landing on my hands and knees. (Had major hand surgery 3 mos ago) My husband picked me up, no one else to help. FINALLY: I have multiple neurological problems which are not apparent to most; but I have significant balance problems and walk with difficulty. So does my friend, the piano player in the talent show. After he finished he walked slowly off the stage, weaving with stiff legs as he did so. The talent show pointed to him, laughing, saying that he (my friend) must have a few too many before the show! WOW, he said, look at that! That's really bad!! As he laughed he encouraged the entire audience to laugh, too! My talented friend slowly, warily left the stage embarrassed by everyone's laughter. Great fun!!! Some mercy, please! Not all of us consider ourselves disabled, but many of us DO have invisible problems and we all manage these problems as best we can! Overall, the staff was insensitive, rude, sparse, unskilled, unfriendly, and lazy. One last note: on embarkation, guests were met with a glass of champagne! Great move for all the children and non-drinkers! Then, an unescorted free-for-all to the cabins. So it was noisy non-service for the remainder of the week. I overheard someone say NCL stood for NO CLASS LINE. Ditto.

dangerous!

Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review by slesinger

• Sail Date: April 2008
  • Destination: Bermuda
  • Cabin Type: Mini-Suite with Balcony
I overheard someone say NCL stood for NO CLASS LINE. Ditto.
slesinger’s Full Rating Summary