3. Pacific Dawn
Please enter your review.We Booked our cruise on the Pacific Dawn knowing that she wasn't a new ship and previously named the Regal Princess, so we were not expecting a shining new ship. Travelling recently on the Diamond and Sapphire princess ships we expected an older style ship. Embarkation was smooth and I was a bit shocked at the different type of cruisers to what we are used to as we usually cruise out of sydney and disembark in a foreign country. We were welcomed by the usual crew and shown to our mini suite on aloha deck. It was pleasantly nice and not too old looking. The balcony was large but due to the door opening out and not sliding it made for a small area to stand or sit. The room was larger than we expected and we were warmly welcomed by our steward. Due to a delayed sailing(should of left at 4pm) we missed our slot to leave and had to wait till 8pm to depart due to heavy ferry traffic in circular quay. So the party went on up on the deck above us so we decided to join everyone for a cocktail and a dance. The behavior of some of the drunken yobbos at this early stage of the cruise (we hadn't even left yet) I thought "I wonder how long some of them would last on this cruise". When we finally sailed out of the harbor we were on our way to enjoy the pacific dawn. An older ship built in 1991, but a nicer older ship. I heard a lot of comparisons to the pacific sky and sun and a lot of whining but I thought she was a fine looking ship and had no problems. My partner liked the ship and our travelling companions who were on baja deck liked it also. Our destination was the south pacific and the weather was a bit rough on the first few days, but the ship handled it well. There was plenty to do and the restaurants were nice. We ate in the traditional dining and booked for the same time every night and were designated the same table of 4 for the entire cruise. I was embarrassed by the drunken behavior on the first night and apologized to the wait staff who had to serve them and told them that all australians were certainly not like those yobbos!!! I believe when we got to noumea 2 of the passengers were thrown off the ship... The south pacific islands are beautiful. Noumea,Dravuni Island,Suva,Isle of pines,Yasa wa Irara,Mystery island and Port vila. Though they could of missed Suva and nobody really would of cared as I am sure They could find a better port to visit than this dirty place. My pick was Yasa Wa Irara which was picturesque and the people lovely. We decided not to do shore tours on this trip as we had done the islands before and just wanted to do our thing. There seemed to be a lot of problems on the ship, like the mini suites on the other side of the ship flooding one night during heavy rain and everybody standing in the corridor in their robes waiting for their cabins to be dried so they could go to bed(this was 1am),Thanks god our side was fine but i felt sorry for those with damp staterooms on the other side. We saw some shows and they were pretty professional, dancers were great. Spent a few nights in the new casino (playing poker machines as we don't have them in perth) so it was a bit of a novelty. Did a few quizzes and generally had a good time. The 21st November was my birthday and when we boarded the ship I had organized for some canapes to come to our stateroom at 2pm as we had 8 people coming for a few drinks. I checked 2 days prior to confirm the order and wallah!!!! on the day no canapes arrived. After much a do we finally received them at 4pm after 5 people had to leave...they lost the order and didn't really give a damn...... I spoke to the head of housekeeping afterwards and he said he would follow it up and let me know after the cruise......May 2008 and guess what....not a reply not a word....Very unprofessional people. Double and triple check if you order any special request items!!!! Generally, we had a wonderful time on an older ship but would not cruise on her again as the service staff were very average. Except for the wait staff in the palm court restaurant who were very professional and on the ball. What separates a cruise from other cruises is not the ship but the staff. The pacific dawn would be good starting cruise. I am sure that P&O think that most Australians will accept anything! They may find that this will have an impact somewhere down the track on their cruising public out of Australia. Disembarkation wa smooth until we arrived ashore in Darling harbor....What a mess, there were people still waiting to get on buses to the airport and their flights were in 45 minutes time. We had no transfer which was paid for and only when I jumped up and down were we given taxi vouchers and taken to the wrong hotel!!! Well i suppose that did leave a bad taste in our mouths and when we finally got to the four points sheraton we were exhausted. All in all we had a fab time, met some wonderful people, who we are still in contact with and are cruising again in feb09.

Maiden Voyage