Adventure of the Seas Cruise Review

Adventure of the Seas Cruise Review by kimmer727

• Sail Date: Apr 2008
  • Destination: the Southern Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Owner's Suite

We sailed on AOS April 13th out of San Juan. Traveling was myself, my husband and my sister. Boarding the ship was a breeze.

We first went to check out our suite, and it was just great. Our room steward was there "Eric" and introduced himself. More on him later. Then we headed up to the pool bar where we met up with some of the Meet and Mingle group for a couple of cocktails. It was fun finally getting to meet everybody.

Our first full day on the ship we were at sea. We spent most of the time laying by the pool. We had no problem finding chairs or witnessed any "chair saving". My sister and I also tried out the ice skating rink. That was quite alot of fun. Bring long pants and a sweater - it's cold down there!

First stop was Aruba. I had a jeep tour planned with ABC on the island. One of the people I met through Meet&Mingle had set it up - not through the ships excursions. We had a blast. I highly recommend this tour when in Aruba. My sister did a snorkeling excursion through the ship, and was very satisfied with that also.

Curacao we went to Kon Tiki beach by taxi. This is an absolutely beautiful beach - we stayed there most of the day. There really is nothing in this town for shopping, so plan on spending your time at the beach.

St. Maarten we took a taxi to Orient Beach. Another gorgeous beach, but beware if you have kids - lots of topless woman, and one section of the beach is total nudity.

St. Thomas was another taxi ride to Megan's Bay. We have done this itinerary before, and have always gone to Trunk Bay at this stop. But we decided to try something new, and I'm glad we did. Megan's Bay is really a pretty beach and much bigger then Trunk Bay. My sister and I also did the Tram Ride in the afternoon, and the view from up there is amazing. It is definitely worth the $19 to go up. There is a nice restaurant and bar at the top, with some gift shops. As far as the ship goes, it is really big, and beautiful. It is also very clean and very easy to get around. We never found any area to every be "over crowded".

Now for a few disappointments. Our room steward, Eric was absolutely horrible. We have never had a bad experience with a room steward in the past, and we have cruised many times. But this kid sure had an attitude. And to top it off, on the last day he actually tried to charge us for the WHOLE mini bar!!! I had to make a phone call to Royal customer service to get that taken off the bill. We never touched the mini-bar all week!!

Second disappointment was the food. It started off pretty good, then quickly went down hill. We always eat in the main dining room, breakfast, lunch and dinner. They had the same lunch menu every day of the week. That has never happened before. The dinner menu had very few "new" selections each night. They had the same main dishes and maybe two or 3 new things to choose from - and the food just wasn't that good. My sister did eat at Johnny Rockets and said that was very good. And my husband ordered pizza from room service, and enjoyed that. I had lunch one day in the Windjammer, which I never do, and was quite surprised because it was very good. The pool bar had wonderful drinks. I tried the Mojito's on the ship and quickly became addicted! They were simply delicious. Also ask Gilbert the bartender to make you a Chocolate Pina Colada. They are to die for!!!

Tried my luck in the Casino and broke even. I only play the slots, and had some luck, but wasn't a big winner.

All and all, it was a very nice cruise. Needs a little improvement on the food, but other then that I would recommend this ship to anyone. If you have any questions, please feel free to e-mail me.

kimmer727's Full Rating Summary