3. Norwegian Dawn
Friday: Embarkation was a breeze. At check in I was given a sheet of paper stating that the rooms wouldn't be ready until 2:00. Ours was ready before 12:30. When I got on to the Dawn I immediately went to the line for reservations. At first it seemed to move slowly but it quickly picked up pace and I easily got the two reservations I wanted: Salsa on Friday and LeBistro on Saturday. We ate lunch in the main dining room. It was enjoyable. Then we went back to the room, my DH changed into his bathing suit (I didn't bring mine) and then we headed to the pool. DH went over to the pool, but said he "wasn't feeling it" so instead he got a bucket of beer, he changed and we explored the ship and played some ping-pong until the muster drill. The muster drill was different on this cruise than on my last three. I don't know if this is common for the Norwegian Dawn (We were on Norwegian Spirit in 2006 & 2007 and it wasn't this way), but our drill was held in different indoor areas of the ship. Ours was in the Impressions dining room. It was really short. However, my one great complaint about the cruise is this: The tables were already set up for dinner. Everyone was touching everything on the tables. You couldn't help it. You were bored waiting for the rest of the people to get there. Kids were playing with the forks; adults were rubbing their hands on the glasses. I refolded the napkin ten times. DH spun the plate around about a hundred times. Ewww, and I meant to ask for a new place setting when we got to Salsa that evening but of course, I had forgotten about it by then. The reason I call that my one great complaint is because it is the only thing that I would say I should actually formally complain about. In fact, I think I am going to post something about it to the board on the Norwegian boards. Anyway, back to the cruise: Since we didn't have a balcony (we got an OV on 4th deck) we went up to the pool for sail away right after the muster drill. I'm not sure if we ran late or if I just got the time wrong, but we didn't leave until after 6 and I thought it was supposed to be 5. But that was okay because we were enjoying people watching and had secured a nice table on the Starboard side so that we'd have a nice view of the Statue of Liberty as we went by her. I was surprised that the large crowd that was on deck had left before we had gotten that far. Now that I am writing this I thought of another "issue" that perhaps I should formally complain about although I do think it would be weird for me to be the one to do it as I am a smoker. Here it is. The Port side of the Pool deck is smoking. The Starboard side is not. Even though I am a smoker, I chose a table on the starboard side specifically for sail away. I was aware that it was non-smoking and wouldn't have dreamed of smoking there. We were about two or three tables in from the bar area. At the first two tables was a large group in probably mid twenties. I actually think they didn't know they couldn't smoke in that area, so I don't blame them. I also don't know how the ashtrays arrived at their tables. Perhaps they did know and went across the deck to get them, or maybe they were already close by or at the tables. Anyway, they ALL smoked A LOT for over an hour. Staff went by—different staff. Nobody said anything to them. As a passenger I shouldn't have to enforce the rules to the other passengers, so it was not my place to say anything to them. And as a smoker I am embarrassed that I am even complaining about it. Anyway (again) back to the cruise: We went back to the room and waited for someone to come to fix the safe. Someone came about 7:15 and found that the problem was the battery brut he couldn't fix that and we had to be in the room to have it fixed. We had 7:30 res so that wasn't going to happen. We never did call them to have it fixed. No problem, I didn't really have anything that valuable. On a longer cruise it would have mattered more. We changed for dinner and headed to Salsa for our 7:30 res. Table was ready. Dinner was really nice. The appetizers were better than the entrEe (we both got the burrito and expected something more like we get in an area restaurant that is so delicious so it is almost not fair to compare) The service at Salsa was very efficient and everyone was polite and friendly. When I told the waiter not to be shy with the guacamole, he brought over a nice sized side of it. We went to the evening show which we enjoyed and then to adult karaoke (only to observe :) ) and that was fun as well. At midnight we went to the casino and lost our first $100 in record time. (this would become a pattern each time we went to the casino—good thing it was only two days) We headed up to the Blue Lagoon which is a 24 hour food spot. One of the hostesses told us that people had been waiting a long time for their food and suggested we go back to the casino for the buffet they had set up in there. We decided we didn't really need the food anyway and called it a night. Saturday I awoke early (as I usually do on vacations) took a shower and then harassed DH until he got up. We normally get room service for coffee each morning on our cruises. But when we got back to the room on Friday night there was no pen in the room to go along with the b-fast room service menu. We didn't want to wait for them to come with the pen so we just didn't bother with it for the one morning. Not a big deal. (btw, I found that I had a pen in my bag the next but didn't think I had at the time) We went to the buffet for breakfast which is really unlike us. I normally like the service at the sit down restaurants on the cruise and avoid the buffet as much as possible. It was still early enough that they were only using one side of the buffet and there was ample seating. We enjoyed the breakfast. I just really didn't like the coffee. After breakfast we went down to the Java Cafe and got coffee there. It was like $2 a cup but I liked it better. Then we headed to the first activity we were interested in: Trivia. We did not actually participate in a team we just sat and observed and thought of the answers ourselves. It was fun. Then they had the Wii bowling at the same location. We watched two "tournaments" and then we went to Bingo. I am not much for Bingo on the ships especially since it cost me $92 to play. Yes I misunderstood something and ended up with an addition final round sheet and some kind of pull and play cards, but it was okay because I won about that much back when I split the $330 prize with two other people on the second game. Niceeee. Then I had to go to casino to get the cash, so bye-bye $$ again. My main problem with the casino is that you can smoke in there! I smoke and I found it a convenient place to go for a smoke, but I literally felt the urge to gamble each time I went in there. Each cigarette cost me about $40 in slots! Perhaps I should have just dealt with the wind out on deck. After losing the bingo winnings and then some, we went to the main restaurant for lunch. We were invited to the Honeymoon/Anniversary champagne & cake party at 4pm at the star bar because I ordered the anniversary dinner package. We arrived at 4 and were told that only 4 other people were expected. This was not an rsvp event, so we just waited to see if they arrived while enjoying a glass of champagne after taking a picture in front of the cake. After 15 minutes no one else came so the hostess cut the cake and offered us each a piece. We had the cake and another glass of champagne and then left at about 4:30. When we were leaving another couple arrived and insisted that the photographer come back even though they were late. I thought that was rude since they were pretty late and they didn't ask—they demanded. We wanted to go to Win Lose or Draw and to the Movie trivia. The movie trivia started ½ hour after Win, Lose, or Draw so we really couldn't do both. We just went to the movie trivia. The room was divided into two teams. The trivia worked off of a DVD. It was a fun game (especially since our side was consistently in the lead but it was always very close) we then hit the casino again so I could smoke and lose money before changing for dinner. Dinner at Le Bistro was yummy! The service was a bit sluggish, but no problem since we knew we wouldn't make the 8:30 comedy show anyway. We went to the 9:30 show "Band on the Run" which was really good. Then we went into the casino again to lose money. There were still a few activities on the schedule that we were interested in, but we decided to call it a night instead ;) Again Sunday morning I got up early and showered then harassed DH to get up. Oh, I forgot to mention that they kept the beds Desi/Lucy style and DH loved that. Now he wants his own bedroom-lol! I, on the other hand, although I like my isolated space on the bed, I still like to know that he's next to me. Again, (I trail off a lot), back to the cruise: We went to breakfast in the main dining room. No line (about 7:30am) but the place was beginning to fill up. By the time we left (probably 8:00 ish) the lines were forming at the entrance. We picked up our free 5x7 photo from the honeymoon/anniversary party then went back to the room to get our suitcase. I'm not sure what time we go off the ship, but we were home by 10am, I think, and that was with stopping at Dunkin Donuts and briefly at A&P. We really enjoyed the cruise and found it a really great break. We didn't feel rushed at all. I would definitely do a two-night cruise again, if the timing and price worked out for us. We don't think we'd like a one night. Saturday morning we said we'd not feel satisfied if we had to leave at that time. At present, the next 2 night on Norwegian from NY is next May 1st (2009) which is too soon after our $$$ 12 night cruise in April. Carnival is having one in October this year, but we'll be on Freedom in October. So we'll wait and see if one shows up at a time that is in between the two or sometime better in Summer/Fall 2009 and if we financially able to go.

Cruise to Nowhere - a lot of fun!

Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review by cruiseinfoseeker