• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

First Time Cruiser • Age 60s

Sail Date: Mar 2008
Cabin:
Traveled with children

Our two weeks shy of 18 year old son has informed us that this being his Senior Year in high school is in fact his last Spring Break with his parents so we knew this trip had to be special!

Saturday in Coconut Grove - We chose to stay in Coconut Beach, as we wanted a quieter scene then downtown Miami or South Beach. We stayed at the Marriott Residence Inn using Marriott points. The hotel itself is nothing fancy but we enjoyed the separate living room and bedroom. The hotel was clean and the staff very friendly. Free hot breakfast in the morning and free internet use was also nice.

Embarkation -We were booked in a Category 11 Suite so we knew we would have VIP status. The new Miami port is very nice and VIP buys you a separate enclosed lounge where you sign in with a receptionist and wait to be called. We arrived at the lounge around 11:45 after somewhat of a fiasco returning our Avis rental car downtown Miami and waited about 10 minutes to have our paperwork processed and get escorted through the lines. We were on the ship in less then half an hour. All hallways were shut so we knew we would not be able to get in the cabin for awhile. Headed to Lido deck for lunch. Clouds were looking grisly but it was warm so off to the pool we go. One thing to note - as always the first thing I do is check the dinner assignment and once again we have not received our requested time. Originally we had requested 6:15 but with an older teenager we were hoping to get 8:00 so you can imagine my dismay when we realized we had been assigned 5:45. This was just not going to work. I knew the drill and lined up at the Dining Room at 1 waiting for the Maitre D to request reassignment. There were already four families in front of me each with equal stories of incorrect seat assignments. By the time the Maitre D showed up a few minutes late there were many folks lined up. Unlike previous times though the Maitre D was not granting wishes at that time and only taking down requests. We sadly realized that at least for the first night we were going to dinner early. The next day we received a change of dining status card but it was for the same time different table. A trip to the purser's desk resolved this by day 2 and we were given the 8:00 slot going forward. Luggage Arrival - Oh the angst of seeing my husband and sons luggage outside the cabin at 1 but not mine. Lots of luggage continued to arrive on our deck but still not mine by dinnertime. Luckily I knew to pack a change of clothes in carry on but I started to get concerned that maybe it wouldn't show up at all. There were a few others on our deck that were getting nervous as well. Mine finally showed up after it appeared all other bags had been delivered sometime around 7:30. After the monsoon rain storm apparently some bags that were delivered late were soaking wet. Heard some complaints when I was at pursers desk for dining request.

previous reviewnext review