3. Norwegian Star
The cruise itself was good. The ship was beautiful and we like the "Freestyle Cruising" concept. The service on the ship was "uneven". Our cabin stewards were very good. We arrived for embarkation around noon and sailed through the process. I understand that any earlier than that, and they're not ready to receive you and later than that, it tends to get crowded. Debarkation is at your leisure, within reason, so that's why you can't get on too early while they're resetting the ship from the last cruise. Spa service was poor (specifically, we had booked special combo offers, but were charged the a la carte full price which we never completely got straightened out but got tired of fighting with them...they were always late for appointments though they insist you be there 15 minutes early...spa staff attitudes were "aloof" to put it kindly). On the positive side, they provided their services well and were trained properly, though they used you as a captive audience to try to sell over-priced products during your "relaxing" sessions. They must receive a commission on what they sell. My wife had booked a total of 7 hours of services on 3 separate days, so these comments are not based on an isolated incident. Table service in the restaurants was good. The food was very good and we especially liked the variety. Either the main dining room or the "alternate" main dining room, Aqua, are outstanding in both food and service. If you choose to share a table with others, seating can be almost immediate. Entertainment was mediocre. I'm glad they're offering a future itinerary which does not include the 3-day excursion to Fanning Island. The ship was full, but we never suffered because it never felt crowded nor did service suffer. There were plenty of activities on board and we could not take advantage of them all, so we were never bored. A highlight was the Hawaiian Lectures provided by a Mr. Chang. He was knowledgeable, personable and I learned a lot which added to a Hawaiian themed cruise. I think we might have been not as pleased had the cruise been our entire vacation, but we had 3-days before the cruise on Oahu and 4 days on Kauai after. I would recommend that to anyone. My wife would not take this cruise again, but I would.

Norwegian Star - Cruise to Nowhere