3. Norwegian Star
I have just returned from a wonderful seven day cruise aboard the Norwegian Star. Our itinerary was changed: instead of cruising to Fanning Island, we added Kona (Hawaii) and Lahaina (Maui), still having one day at sea. What can I say? Free-style cruising was great. We were able to eat when we wanted to, what we wanted to and where we wanted to. There was no pressure to dine at the added charge restaurants. The food was excellent and well-presented at all the restaurants. Our cabin (inside) had plenty of closet space and adequate room for my travelling companion and myself. Though slightly less than 150 square feet, the cabin was fine. (If we had wanted to have more cabin space, we could have paid more and reserved a larger cabin -- get my drift??) The entertainment onboard was fantastic. The "Broadway shows" were very well done with great performers. The Native Dance Group was unsurpassed (even by the dancers at the Luau at which we paid almost $100!). The Hawaii Lecturer (Wayne Chang) was thorough and well-read. The ships was comfortable and well-appointed. Upon embarkation, we boarded about noon, stored our luggage, had a buffet lunch (included) and then left the ship to do a walking tour through downtown Honolulu. We had plenty of time to see all the sights (close by) and then return to the ship. I highly recommend this ship/tour to anyone who has never toured the Hawaiian Islands in order to get an overview of the major islands. Once we unpacked, we were done: ready to relax and be pampered. Speaking of which, the fitness center and spa were fantastic -- besides a very complete work-out area and (mostly) free classes, the sauna and steam rooms (separate for men and women) were available (at no additional charge) to guests. Following the cruise, we spent a week on Maui which had been pre-arranged. It turned out to be the perfect combination: a night in Waikiki prior to the cruise, a week cruising the Hawaiian Islands and nearly a week on Maui. I only hope that when you take this cruise, you will be able to echo my compliments for the crew of the Norwegian Star. Maholo for reading my review and Aloha!

Norwegian Star - Cruise to Nowhere