Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Review

Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Review by DVC_Chris

• Sail Date: Mar 2008
  • Destination: the Bahamas
  • Cabin Type: Atrium View

My parents decided to treat the entire family to the Easter Getaway cruise on the QM2, a 4 night cruise with a stop at Princess Cay. All of us who went, myself and my wife, my brother and a friend, and my parents, have gone on many cruises, mostly on the Disney Cruise Line. While the Queen Mary 2 is perhaps the most beautiful and well appointed ship we have ever been on, with art everywhere that showcased the proud history of Cunard, wood paneling, and breathtaking murals and reliefs, it was certainly lacking in other areas, particularly the staff of the main dining room, and to a lesser degree our cabin steward. On all of the cruises we have ever been on, those are three key people in making your cruise a success. None of these people introduced themselves to us, or took the time to learn our names or our preferences. While we could never complain about the quality of the work done by the Cabin Steward, the fact that we never saw him or met him just seemed odd to us. No excuse can be found for our dining room staff. They never introduced themselves, and were often slow in getting food out or clearing plates. Even simple things, like refilling a glass of water, often took asking two or three times. The quality of the food helped make up for this, but I just felt I could get better service at the local Applebee's, and is the far worst of any dining room staff I have experienced on my 6 cruises. We did dine twice at Todd English, once for Lunch, and once for Dinner, and thankfully there the service was commiserate with the rest of the ship. Although I thought it odd that there was a pool and sun deck right behind the restaurant, blocking the sight lines of the ocean. All in all, I might sail Cunard again, if the price and itinerary were right.

DVC_Chris's Full Rating Summary