3. Adventure of the Seas
This was our third cruise and second with RCCL. Allow me to say that overall the cruise was Very Good. I will just quickly summarize the good and the bads. The Bads: On previous cruises we discreetly tucked a bottle in our luggage and had the odd drink in our room. Not so on this cruise. Our luggage had been opened and we had one of their nice orange cards that said we had been bad boys and girls and we could not have our bottle until the last day of the cruise. Judging by the huge cart of alcohol they were handing back on that last day it looks like there were many who were also punished. Give me a break RC. As we told your Guest Relations, we are all adults here (well most of us), we had already bought the wine package, had a number of drinks in your bars and then you pull that stunt because of your quote/unquote "security precautions". (translation: drink in our bars for $8 a drink). I must admit they tried to make it up to us by providing a free bottle of champagne to our room on the Thursday night (our anniversary was on the Tuesday night and our brought bottle of favorite bubbly had been confiscated...thanks for nothing) but the damage had been done at that point and our initial enthusiasm never really returned after the "orange card greeting". PS: We lowered ourselves to smuggling some in our "water bottles" on the next island which we mixed with soda from the $48 Soda "deal". Talk about feeling like a little kid. Nickel and diming: We had no less than 3 messages on our phone wishing us a Happy Anniversary" followed by come on down to our boutiques and spend some money (these were all automated messages...I thought we had left the telemarketers at home). Pamphlets being handed out everywhere: Buy, buy. buy. The "Additional Tip" area on all of your bills...after you are automatically deducted 15%. $4 to get into Johnny Rockets. Another $4.00 to have a shake and then you still want more tipping in there. No such thing as a free lunch I guess. Anyway, it just got tiring to be forever approached to spend more money. Some say it's to keep the price down. We paid $1100 each for our balcony room. I doubt they lost money on us. The Casino: The lights showing numbers previously winning on 2 of the 3 roulette tables were apparently "not working"...although they were working fine the first day. Funny how the display light at the top still worked. Back home we call that "cheating" and the table would be shut down. No matter, I made my money on the one table with lights. The Goods: Everything else could more or less be considered Good to Excellent. If they enforced their "no lounge chair saving" policy half as much as their no booze policy I might be impressed. I can guarantee that at any given time 50% of the lounge chairs are empty but saved with towels or whatever. Most remained that way for most of the day. Portofino's is a "Must Experience". Simply amazing. Dining room food was very good considering it is mass produced. Windjammer...well it's a buffet but there is always a good selection. Just expect buffet quality there. Beatlemania, the comedian and the juggler: Excellent. The other entertainers were OK. Way too much of the "let the audience entertain us" stuff for my liking. Mini-putt, golf simulator, climbing wall, exercise room, all excellent. Overall, like I said, it was a great trip but the drink policy (what hotel would ever even think of doing that???) and the constantly selling convinced us this was our last with RCCL. Others we talked to have not had this problem on other cruise lines. Sorry Kindergarten of the Seas. We're moving on.

Very good but probably our last RCCL Cruise