3. Norwegian Star
The first thing was the cruise line changed the itinerary because of a problem they did not explain and were not going to Fanning Island but were offering two additional ports of call. Lahina and Kona. Great for me to start. We showed our tickets and were directed to the first Kisok. We noticed the Latitudes line was not occupied and after traveling on the SS Norway, we were members but were not sent there. The clerk spent about 20 minutes and finally called the supervisor over because he could not figure out the code for my wife who was born in Germany traveling with an american passport. It was not until the second day that by chance we met our room steward and that was because I called the information desk. We had our bed turned back once during the entire cruise and it was usually not made up until about 1130. The food was at best similar to Ryan's or Golden Corral and I never met but one friendly waiter which I wrote up a card for superior service. The wine was probably my fault for discontent as I did not recognize any of the reds and the waiter recommended one. I tasted it (Should have refused it which I have never done) and figured although not good that evening with the dish would certainly be better the next evening with another dish. My mistake I and the wife both tried it with the filet mignon and came to the conclusion the waiter's assistant should drink it and see if they would still recommend it. We found out later in the cruise that the Captain's party had already taken place but according to a golfer at Poipou Bay Golf course I and my wife didn't miss anything. We were also lead to believe that they were going to have a luau on the deck and found that to also be misleading as well. $178 later we went to a luau at the old lahina which turned out to be absolutely outstanding. The high point out of the entire cruise was the lobster which was great but the waiter seemed perturbed when I asked for an additional one but he did bring it. Personal choice dining is not for us and we will not be doing it again. We like the traditional first sitting with the waiters sing and dancing with the baked alaskan with HOT, HOT< HOT or them doing the Macorana. We felt because the wait staff was going to get tipped at the end that they were obligated to serve you to get you out of the way. In the Market Cafe where we ate breakfast and lunch we never found a friendly waiter. Our orginal voyage was on the SS Norway and it set the standard for the next 13 cruises which were met or exceeded by Princess, Royal Carribean, Carnival, and Holland America but in our opinion this was the absolute worst.

Norwegian Star - Cruise to Nowhere