3. Carnival Ecstasy
We just went on our first cruise on the Carnival Ecstacy on Mar 26/04. I did what I thought was a lot of research on this 3 day trip but I guess I didn't get all the info. I spoke with 2 carnival phone reps, who assured me that the party rep. this boat had was from the old days, even some reviews led us to believe this to be true, wrong...... This boat is very definitely a party boat and it would seem Carnival does little to discourage it. I thought we may be in trouble when, upon embarkation, we saw 2 wedding groups, 3 stagettes, and countless high school/college singles. Don't get me wrong, we have no problem with parties, but when you feel like you are out of the loop at 40, they must be going hardcore. How about the first night when we arrived for our dinner dressed nicely, not overdressed, to find 2 large groups of kids near our table, dressed in tanks, shorts, sandals, and ball caps. A Carnival no-no according to my info. The staff did nothing about this, or the yelling and swearing, with the token f-bombs thrown in for good measure. these kids were very drunk, one actually passing out at the table, and yet, in an effort to maintain that profit margin, they continued to serve them booze. I never even saw them ask for I.D. as I'm sure most were under 21. This went on for all 3 nights, but I will give them credit for at least wearing pants on formal night. Overall food was good, most staff excellent, room steward great, room very comfy for a lower grade cabin. My big problem is with Carnival itself. From the phone operators to the cruise director giving the rah-rah speech about extra tipping and giving the boat a great rating, it all about the sale. Giving truthful info would have been appreciated, we probably still would have gone as we got a great deal, but we would have been prepared, rather than expecting the old love boat idea. Dress up for dinner, go dancing after ...... Being from Canada, we had no idea it was spring break down south, this could have been pointed out. Overall I would say we had a good time that could have been much better. we have travelled a lot at this time of year, to many different resorts, and I would still rate an all-inclusive as a much better deal. Carnival has to learn when to say when on the booze and parties, but if you have ever gone to their site and tried writing them, you'll find they make that pretty tough also, I guess no news is good news. I think we will try the cruise thing again, but with another cruise line.

Carnival Ecstasy - USA