• Newsletter

First Time Cruiser • Age 80s

Value for Money

Sail Date: Jan 2008
Cabin: Mid-Ship Oceanview Picture Window

Other than the ease of embarkation and an exceptional waitress in the italian rest., there is little else to recommend this ship. We ate at Cagney's the first night. The lobster bisques was a mystery, some sort of colored water with no flavor. They did replace it with a salad that was ok. My filet had no seasoning or flavor. My wife ordered a rib steak and got a tough inedible sirloin . We couldn't be sure what the cut of meat was. The waiter was curt. The moment you step on the ship the big hustle begins . A beautiful atrium is constantly cluttered with a flea market, the piano muted by the racket and the dance floor covered with hawkers. The nightly shows are mediocre at best. A ' Broadway ' show was devoid of any backdrop scenery. Seats in the front row were $25.00 a pop. The top entertainer was a very good 9 yo . With rare exceptions the food in the dining room was served indifferently and was very poor quality. The one standout was the italian rest., no cover charge, with excellent food and top service. Our waitress from Rumania was a delight. I had never seen beds in a bar-nightclub. Go figure??? The special drinks were good but very expensive. We didn't avail ourselves of the shore excursions. After 20 plus cruises we usually rent a car in the port and do our own thing. We have been to Cozumel 8 times and always go the the coconut bar and grill on the eastern shore. Great food, breathtaking view We were saddened to see many of the elderly treated so rudely I have never heard so many complaints from passengers and so many remark they wold never travel NCL again . Our next cruise is booked on Crystal . Though more expensive , by time you add all the extras on this ship and the constant hassle to spend more money, the Crystal will be a bargain . For those that had never cruised the 'Spirit' gives a black eye to the entire industry. Our room and the cleaning service were very good . They were polite and attentive . This is the first bad review I have written for a cruise . I'm not bitter about the experience, but I am saddened . My take on any business is that , " a fish rots from the head back" .

Mid-Ship Oceanview Picture Window