3. Adventure of the Seas
AOS Review 11-11-07 thru 11-18-07 Now first let me state that this is actually a positive review of OUR cruise on the AOS. Ok, so that being said, be warned this is a very long review and was the best cruise ever! This is mine and my husband's 5th cruise. 2 with Carnival (yuk) 2 with Princess out of San Juan (just OK) and our first with Royal Caribbean (THE BEST) This will be a long review so you've been warned! We purchased air through the cruise lines and along with that come the transfers. We have purchased the transfers with other lines and it really didn't have any benefit. We arrived at the airport, our luggage was taken very uneventfully, (on both Princess cruises, my husband had to assist the guys with our luggage to get it on the truck) and we were quickly loaded on a bus for the port. The line was extremely long and we got off the bus. and were taken immediately to a special line for folks with transfers and were on the ship within 15 minutes. Unbelievable! Worth the extra money. THE SHIP AOS is a beautiful ship very well taken care of and we saw no evidence of real wear and tear. We immediately loved the lay-out, very easy to get accustomed to and we went to see the Royal Promenade. What an incredible design....we were in awe. We headed up to the dining rooms for pictures and were taken by the elegance and open feeling regardless of which one you were in. They were all very impressive! We liked the glass, wood and chrome that is everywhere on this ship.....nothing over done or "in your face" like Carnival and yet the whole ship had a fun character to it. It's hard to explain, you just have to see it for yourself. Pictures just don't do it justice. There were several lounges placed around the ship in addition to what is in the Promenade and so it was easy to be "in the thick of things" or find a quiet spot for relaxing and a glass of wine.....PERFECT! A special Thank you to Alyssa (spelling?) in the Aquarium Lounge, she is great! OUR CABIN We booked a D2, balcony on deck 7, and proceeded to see what we were in for in regards to our accommodations. We really liked the layout of the balcony cabin. The sofa was well placed; dEcor mild and Caribbean, storage plenty (although at first glance I was a little concerned) but when you start unpacking you realize just how much storage there really is. The bathroom was very nicely appointed, love the shower doors instead of a curtain!!!! (no slimy attacks by the shower curtain) and the shower larger than on Princess ships...I could actually shave my legs "in" the shower as opposed to having to sit on the floor outside the shower like I had to do on Princess. The removable shower head is a very nice touch not to mention the massage it gave to those sore muscles after long shopping days in port. We were very happy with our "digs"!!!!! THE CREW This had to be one of the biggest surprises (and there were many) of the whole cruise. Let me say that service and my accommodations is the most important thing to me. A vacation can be ruined quickly if the hotel employees or ship's crew are not up to par. THIS CREW IS AMAZING!!!! Smiles all around, from the very first person we came in contact with to the very last person (hated to leave) we came in contact with! They are eager, pleasant, friendly, and very accommodating people and it made all the difference in the world! Even the maintenance guys would stop and say hello, how are you, when seen in the halls. The cabin stewards (we had two as the first one had to leave to go home due to a family emergency we were told) were very good. There was never anything that wasn't done or completed and when I had special requests, like 2 extra FLUFFY pillows, they were there almost immediately. I could go on and on but let me just say again AMAZING CREW all around! ENTERTAINMENT I had read on Cruise Critic that some did not like the entertainment. I can't imagine why! First, the Ice Show was INCREDIBLE. We saw it twice, it was that good. Can't Stop the Rock was very good as well but the show Jackpot was excellent! Sets were elaborate, dancers and singers were EXCELLENT, very impressive! I don't go in much for the pool side games and such but from the looks of the crowd during the belly flop contest, it was fun. The parties on the deck pool side at night were loads of fun and I enjoyed the dancing and crowd watching. We had a Meet and Mingle from our Roll Call and Royal Caribbean really does this well. Gave out tickets and door prizes, food and non-alcoholic beverages....haven't experienced this from Princess or Carnival, so RC once again sits at the number one spot in this category as well. Also, there had been several threads on Cruise Critic stating that the live music was being done away with on RC ships. We did not find this to be the case. There was, thank goodness, a VERY good band out by the pool called Men of Culture. There were several bands of different varieties of music placed all around the ship on a regular basis. All were very good. Another thing worth mentioning is that we didn't have ALL PR/Latin style entertainment as some have stated, at least not on this cruise. Yes, there was a party that was geared toward Latin style but the entertainment around the ship, parties, etc. was Caribbean, jazz, Spanish, rock, etc. So, if you are like I was and concerned about this, don't be.....it was great! GUESTS ON OUR CRUISE This is the much talked about subject on Cruise Critic for the Adventure of the Seas. Let me say that I read tons of threads on this subject, asked questions, had concerns and the following is what we experienced on our cruise. 1. I believe the count was about half PR and half other. 2. Yes, they have a different way of life, a different fashion sense, a different sense of what is rude, etc. 3. Yes, they were in family groups of people 4. No, they didn't scream and yell in the dining room. 5. Yes, they laughed, partied, and had fun but at no time did we witness their partying getting out of control and they DID NOT have fun at the expense of others 6. No, I didn't see anyone drunk or being obnoxious. 7. I saw no one being pushed or shoved. 8. There was not a time the whole cruise that I felt that my safety was compromised. On one of the days at sea, we were on the upper deck overlooking the pool and some of the kids were jumping in the pool. It happened one time and one of the crew IMMEDIATELY, went over, told them to stop, stood there for a while to be sure that it stopped, came back several times to be sure that it wasn't continuing. After what I read on the boards, I have to say that from what we saw, the Captain, Hotel Director, and Crew are taking very seriously any display of un-safe behavior. and their direction to the crew to keep a close eye on everything and both the Hotel Director and the Captain were very visible throughout the cruise. Whatever, the reason, there were no issues of bad or un-safe behavior. Several times while we were in large crowds in the promenade, the PR people were just like everyone else. If trying to make their way through a crowd of people, we heard "excuse me" "pardon me" . There was no difference here at all. We never experienced or witnessed any behavior that made me feel un-safe or that would have angered me. The people referred to by some as "the locals" were, on our cruise, polite, fun-loving folks who dressed a little different than us (the gold chains the guys wore were plentiful but obviously just a trend there) Enough said on this subject expect, my fears, thank God, were not reality. FOOD Ok, this is so subjective so I will not go into much detail here. The food in the Dining Room to us was very good. The food in the Windjammer was good food for a buffet. The food in Portofino's was INCREDIBLE. Service in this restaurant was TOP NOTCH. Loved that in the Windjammer, you actually had servers who were very quick to come to your table to ask what you wanted to drink and if there was anything they could get for you. This is a nice touch as well and different than the other 2 cruise lines. ROOM SERVICE Room Service was always right on target. They were NEVER late, always earlier than they said and NEVER got an order wrong. The chili dip and chips were REALLY good from room service. My husband ordered breakfast a few mornings and it was really good, hot, and cooked to order. No issues for us here! EXCURSIONS We purchased one RC Excursion and that was in Curacao. It was a beach day. We were picked up by a boat, went up the coast line and could see the beautiful buildings of Curacao and were dropped off at a "man made" beach for 2-3 hours. This was very pleasant; the beach was very well done with lots of shade available. We felt that the price for this excursion was very reasonable and was exactly what was advertised. No problems here. THE ISLANDS There were no surprises here as all our stops we have seen before except Curacao and so here is what we did on our own. St. Thomas - Wanted to go to a beach on St. John but the weather was cloudy and so we ended up at Megan's Bay for the day. Not the same beach it was 3 years ago. St. Marten - Shopped for gifts to take home.....nothing new here Aruba - Went on our own to Eagle Beach. Nice beach.....water clear and beautiful. This beach was not very crowded and so we enjoyed a whole day here... IN REVIEW We are now official Royal Caribbean converts!!!!! If all ships and crew are like the AOS, then we have found our cruise home! My husband and I kept comparing the ship, crew, everything to the story of Goldilocks and Three Bears....."Not to hard, not too soft......JUST RIGHT" ADVENTURE OF THE SEAS it's Captain, Hotel Director and Crew were INCREDIBLE. We will be back to this ship as soon as possible as we are experiencing the worst case of Cruise Withdrawals we have every had!

Adventure of the Seas - Southern Caribbean

Adventure of the Seas Cruise Review by Tinaparrotthead

AOS Review 11-11-07 thru 11-18-07
This will be a long review so you've been warned!
Enough said on this subject expect, my fears, thank God, were not reality.
Tinaparrotthead’s Full Rating Summary