3. Emerald Princess
This was my wife's and I 6th cruise and was our first one on Princess. We have done 4 RCL and one Carnival. We are both in our early 30's along with the other couple who came along with us. Embarkation: We live only 30 minutes from the port so getting to the port was no issue at all. Arrived at around 1130 and found there was a line already extending out the door. This is where we got a taste of how the rest of the cruise was going to go. Standing in line we felt as we were out of place because of the big age difference between us and the rest of the passengers. This does not bother us at all because we like to do our own things and we had friends along our age to keep us company. But I think it bothered others because we received countless number of looks as if we did not belong here and actually overheard a couple behind us whisper to another couple that "oh, they must be lost, Carnival is parked over there...hope there's not more". As much as I wanted to say something I just bit my tongue and just realized that some people are like that. Well, I would say we were on probably around 1245 to 1pm about an hour and a half or since we got there..not impressive. Ship/Cabin: We stayed in cabin B748 which is an aft facing cabin. We loved the room as we really like the view from the back. The room had plenty of space with plenty of room under the bed for your luggage. The balcony was very spacious with 4 chairs and a table. Our room steward introduced himself right away and was very nice. The ship in general was very nice but everything felt confined because of the low ceilings everywhere you went..it just felt small compared to the public rooms on the voyager class for example on RCL. Dining/Service: This is where the Emerald was lacking. We chose to do anytime dining which at the end we decided next time we would do traditional. Honestly, we maybe enjoyed one dinner out of what 10 or so we had onboard. Not all of it was because of the food but rather more because of the service or should I say lack of it. On several nights we were sat and waited for several minutes before anyone would even come over and ask for our drink orders. I'm not talking about 5 or 10 minutes folks, I mean like 20 minutes. We are very patient people and understand that these waiters are busy but at least come by and say something and introduce yourself. Out of all the waiters we had only one actually introduced themselves to us. It actually became a running joke between the four of us on how long we would wait every night. Food orders would come out wrong and instead of them saying I'm sorry I will get you what your ordered it was more like getting an attitude from them. Enough of that because I can complain all night about the service. Food wise like I said was just ok. Nothing really caught our attention on most nights and on two nights we actually had to get different dishes because what we ordered was not very good at all (Halibut tasted and felt like a hockey puck). The buffets were pretty good..good variety on some things. They really, really need to add more seats in the buffet area's. You honestly had to circle around the tables for like 20 min to find somewhere to sit for breakfast. Half the time we brought the food back to our rooms to eat on the balcony because there was just not enough room up there. The most annoying thing is people would not even be eating at half of those tables. They would just sit there and socialize as others circle looking for somewhere to put their food down. Bar service was great at Crooners and at the Wheelhouse Bar.(Tom at Crooner's is awesome). Entertainment: We went to most of the shows..I think we only missed one. Most of them were really good..didn't really understand the Boogie Shoe's show. Started out about being shoes then kind of drifted off into something else. I really wish they had more activities top side by the pool like RCL. Most of the activities were inside and marketed towards an older crowd. The CD was pretty much nonexistent and would maybe hear from him only about twice a day. Just a very boring atmosphere. Would also be nice to hear from the captain once in a while. Ports: Did not book any excursions through Princess. We just go ashore and get tours and all that stuff from the vendors there. We enjoyed most of the ports in exception of Grenada. We took about 10 steps off the ship and got right back on. You could not take a single step without some cab driver hounding you for a tour. The first one would not even be finished before another one would come up and ask you the same thing. Just flat out annoying. Everything else was pretty much standard with the cruise. Honestly, to us this cruise was not what we expected and we got off really disappointed with the Emerald and with Princess. The biggest reason the service..just flat out bad. Maybe it would make a difference if they had to work for their tips instead of getting the automatic tips which Princess does. This was just one persons review but I'm sure others had a flawless cruise and I'm glad they did. All in all we had a good time because any cruise is better then work but we wont be sailing Emerald or Princess anytime soon. Maybe in the future..BIG maybe...

Emerald Princess - Southern Caribbean