3. Norwegian Gem
I had wanted to visit Europe for a long time and I figured a cruise would be a great way to get a sampling of a lot of different countries. I'm 27 and traveled with a friend who is 33. Since we were leaving from Dover and I have always wanted to see London we spent 3 days in London before the cruise. We flew direct from Houston on Continental. Since I knew it was a long flight, I splurged and we flew BusinessFirst Class. So glad we did. Since we got sleep on the plane (the seats extended nearly flat) we were ready to go as soon as we landed at Gatwick. We took the Gatwick Express train into Victoria Station. One big tip is take a cab from Victoria Station if you have a good amount of luggage. We took the tube and it was a nightmare. Not all the stations have lifts, so I was left to lug my 50lbs suite case up many many stairs. But I have to say that a few London gents helped me out. Our hotel was The Grand at Trafalgar Square, also known as Club Quarters. Fabulous hotel! Just off Trafalgar Square on a quiet street. It is half way between two tube stops, Charing Cross and Embankment. Our room had a fridge and microwave which helped us save some money. There is also a small Tesco right near the hotel that sells prepacked meals and snacks. We spent the next few days exploring London. I can't wait to go back. On Monday it was time for us to leave and head to Dover to meet the Gem. The Charing Cross station was an easy walk from our hotel, even with my large luggage. We left London around 10am and were in Dover by 11:30 or noon. We met some people on the train that were heading to the ship that did not know were they were going. Since I researched this trip like crazy, I knew exactly were to go and for showing them, they paid for our cab ride to the port. Really nice people! The port was very well organized. They took our luggage and we were off to check in. I saw the line and figured it would be awhile before we got on the ship. When we went to check in they asked if we were in a suite and since we were, we were taken to a special check in that was fabulous. We were all checked in in about 10 minutes. The others at the check in desk recognized my name from our CC role call and they ended up being in the room right next door! Claudio, the concierge, greeted us and took us through the security line. Since the rooms weren't ready, we headed to Cagney's for lunch, great perk for suite guests. We ended up eating breakfast and lunch there every day we were on the ship and not on excursions. After lunch we took our things to our room, aft AE suite number 8130. Best room I have ever had on a cruise. We had plenty of room, even for two girls worth of clothing! The double sided closet was great as well as the vanity area. The tub was also a nice perk. There was also a small sofa and table and chairs. The balcony had some really comfy chairs that were great for reading. After exploring the ship, taking a tour of the spa and checking our Bliss (we referred to it as the Velor Palace) it was already time for dinner. We took our time getting ready and headed down to The Grand Pacific dinning room. Got in with no wait. The food was really good. During the cruise we ate at Grand Pacific 3 nights, Maganeta (same menu as Grand Pacific) 2 nights, Cagney's 1 night (went early for the 2 for 1 deal), Tequila 1 night, ordered room service 3 nights and the last night we went to Orchid Garden with some friends we met through the CC meet and greet. All the food was fabulous. I still miss my peppermint tea after dinner every night! I digress back to the first night. We went to the show at 9:30, it was a variety show of all the shows to come on the ship, and then turned in for an early night. Since I was lucky enough to catch a cold, the fact that our first day was a sea day was great. I rested in the morning. Then we went to the cc meet and greet. It was at Le Bistro. Very nice. Since the average age of the guests on the ship was 56, my friend in I were looking for some other guests our age to hang out with. At the meet and greet we met another CCer that was traveling with her husband and daughter who was our age. They were so much fun! We hung out with them the rest of the trip. From the meet and greet we went to play bingo and then off to get a day pass for the spa. The steam sauna was great for my cold. The day pass is $20 and I think it was totally worth it. There were heated lounges, whirlpools, saunas and steam rooms. With the day pass you can go as many times as you like during that day. They also sell a cruise length pass. If our voyage was not as port intensive, I probably would have gotten that. But with all of our excursions, I knew that when we got back to the ship we would be too tired to use it. The next day was our first port of call, Vigo Spain. While eating breakfast at Cagney's, Claudio was at Cagney's every morning. It was so nice because he could answer questions, he would make our dinner and spa reservations, and he was just a really fun guy! I cannot say enough great things about him. How he remembers everyones names, I do not know! When we got back from port, he always wanted to know what we did, and what we bought. He took time with us and never seemed rushed. He called us "His Ladies." But when he slept, I don't know! He was at breakfast and partying with us in the Spinnaker late at night! Claudio also had maps for us for some of the ports. For Vigo he pulled out the map, showed us two things, and told us that was really all there was to see. He was a hoot! We went into town and just wondered around and were back on the ship in time for lunch at Cagney's. Spent the rest of the day on our balcony, in those comfy robes, just reading. Later that night we headed to dinner (Magneta, really good food) and the show. Next day was Lisbon. Claudio had maps again which was so helpful. We just wondered around again. We took one of the little trollies up to a fort. Great views! Then we headed back down, shopped and took the tram back to the ship. That day it was about 80 degrees. (That was why I had so much luggage. We went from being cold in London, to sweating in Lisbon, to really freezing in Paris.) After we got back to the ship, I put on my suit and heading to the pool. It was really nice. All my other cruises were to the Caribbean with lots of children onboard. It was so quiet and relaxing being that the ship had an older crowd. Later dinner at Cagney's. We went to dinner early so that we could take advantage of the 2 for 1 deal. The food at Cagney's was fantastic and the staff was great as well. We had already gotten to know a lot of the Cagney's staff from breakfast and lunch. I had the Ahi tuna (biggest portion of tuna I have ever seen) and my friend had the fillet. We could decide on desserts so we got 3 and shared. The chocolate obsession was so good! Then the early show at 7:30. I wasn't feeling so hot so I spent the rest of the night in the cabin. My friend went up to the Spinnaker for the 50's sock hop and she had a blast. Gibraltar was on tap for the next day. Due to my cold we didn't go up the rock. We went shopping but since there were 3 other ship in port it was so crowded that we were back on the ship by 12:30 for lunch at Cagney's. The rest of the day was spent at the pool again. Dinner at Grand Pacific. It was the only time we had to share a table, but the people we shared with were really nice. Late show and then we went to the Spinnaker for the County night. The entire cruise host staff would be at the Spinnaker every night. The cruise director (Clint) and his staff were great. They got people involved and tried to make sure that everyone was having a good time. During the day, they had Nintendo Wii on the big screen in the Atrium. I think due to the lack of children on our ship, they had a tough time getting people to play, but not for a lack of trying. Joe, the cruise host in charge of the Wii, tried his best to get people to play, but had very few takers. In his attempts to get people up though, he was pretty funny and that was entertaining in itself. The next two days were sea days. Just rested up for Italy and took advantage of a special they had in the spa, 3 20 minute treatments for $100. Yeah, they tried to sell us stuff ($120 bubble bath, I don't think so) but a simple no was all it took. That night was 70's night in the spinnaker and it was a lot of fun! We even had Claudio out there dancing with us. The next night was Ship n' Mates, a take off of Chippendales. It was so much fun. Some of the older ladies were really really into seeing the staff strip down! Our first stop in Italy was Naples. We hired a driver through aptours.it. Great tour! We first went to Herculanium. We had hired a guide through the same company. It was great with just the two of us and the guide. Then it was off to Sorrento. Lorenzo (our driver/guide) took us to a great restaurant. The best gnocchi I have ever had. After a little shopping we heading to Positano. We made a few stops along the way and Lorenzo pointed out a lot of really interesting stuff. Positano is beautiful! Back to ship after that. Dinner was at Tequila, try the Il Popo, and the churros was so good I had them three time during the rest of the cruise. Later off to the show and spinnaker then off to bed to rest up for Rome. My friends headed to Bliss and hung out with for a while. At least while we were on the ship, you could have turned Bliss into the crew bar. That morning, Claudio gave us a call to let us know that our guide was ready for us. Rome was fantastic. Marco was the driver/guide that we hired. He is the owner of ROMECONNECTION.COM. He was the best guide and driver. When I go back to Italy, Marco will be my first call! Marco had lots of great information and since he grew up there he knew all the short cuts. We probably got to see twice as much with him versus a ship tour because he could drive right up to the entrances where the busses could not. He also hired a guide for the Vatican for us. On our way back, Marco took us for gelato and he took us by a beautiful hotel that Claudio had told us about. It was straight out of a 1960 cinemascope movie. One tip for those doing Rome on there own. The Italian trains truly do run when the Italians feel like it. Our friends did the train thing and ended up having to take a cab back to port because there wasn't enough room on the train for everyone to get back on time. I think they ended up paying around 50 euros per person. Thats nearly half of what our tour cost. That night we ordered room service from Tequila. Great perk for suites is that we could order room service from the restaurants. Florence and Pisa was a good day. We got to Pisa before all the busses did. We didn't go up but we got some really great pictures. It was really cold that morning! After Pisa we headed into Florence. Our guide took us around town, then we went to see David. After that, Vincchio our guide, took us to a truly local place for lunch. The only person who spoke english was the bus boy so he took care of us. That was truly what we wanted. Real Italian food. It was really good. After lunch we went to Ponte Vecchio. With the long drive back to the ship, we headed back a little early. Dinner (room service, from the regular menu, really good), show, spinnaker then to Bliss for a little while. Our last port of call was Nice. I had wanted to head up to Monaco. I'm a huge Grace Kelly fan. But due to a train strike in France, there was a lack of taxis. So we walked around in Nice. Went to the flower market. It was wonderful! Stalls of flowers, spices, candies, fruits and vegetables. Great day in Nice. It was a short port day. We had to be back on the ship by 2:30pm. This was also the only port were we tendered. Very smooth process for tendering. We were back on the ship for our last lunch at Cagney's. Not only was the food there really really good but the staff went out of there way to make sure that you had everything you wanted. Every day they have a different hamburger. They were HUGE and really good. Also every day they offered a different hot and cold soup every day. We met up with our friend at Cagney's that day. Since she and her parents were in a Courtyard Villa we asked if we could see and she showed us around. Wow, when I have the money I will be up there for sure. The private pool and sun deck were really nice. They also had access to saunas for CV guests only. They also had a snack bar that they had access to, when ever we would meet up we always asked our friend to bring us some gummy bears and m & m's from the snack bar. It was nice that Nice was a short day because it gave us time to pack. We met our friends for dinner at Orchid Garden. The food there was really really good. There were not that many guests there that night. Besides having to pack up, the sea was very very rough that night. After dinner many of us, myself included, had to lay down for awhile. It smoothed out around 10pm and I headed down to Bliss to meet up with my friends. Usually after Bliss, we went to The Blue Lagoon. It is the 24 hour restaurant. I always had the chicken fingers and my friend always had the tomato soup. Both were really really good. Barcelona was our disembarkation port. Freestyle makes it really smooth. We got up, had breakfast at Cagney's, said good by to our friends and got off the ship. The suite guests can disembark whenever they fell like it. That was really nice. Also, the suite guests luggage is sectioned off so you don't have to wait for it on the carousel. Claudio was there and we said our good byes to him. I would book a trip with the Gem again solely because the staff on the ship was so great. We spent the day in Barcelona on the hop on hop off bus. Then took the night train to Paris. Never ever again will I take that night train. I splurged and got a room with a shower, which completely flooded our room. We spent two nights in Paris. Little did we know that it was the Rugby World Cup final game in Paris. That doesn't mean so much to us Americans but it is a huge deal to everyone else in the world. We spent a day at the Louvre then we had a dinner cruise on the Seine. We had a little trouble getting there due to the trains being full due to the rugby game. But luckily our hotel was not that far and we walked it. On the walk back, I don't think I have ever seen so many drunk english guys in full rugby fan mode. What makes it even funnier is that England lost! But they were still out there having a good time! We flew home from Charles DeGuille. It is a very unorganized airport. We thought we left enough time to check out the duty free shops but after turning in our VAT forms, checking in and getting through customs we got to the terminal just as boarding started. Flight home was great. They served lunch right away. A few hours later, you could smell fresh baked cookies! And we were also served a snack right before we landed. Continental sure doesn't let you go hungry! Went through customs in Houston. Not bad at all. But it was so nice to be home. The trip was really great. If I had to do it all over again, I would book the Gem in an instant. Our suite was really really comfortable. Room 8130. I loved the aft balcony. We heard a little bit of noise but nothing major. The staff on the ship was fabulous. The only thing we would do different was I would do Paris, then London and then fly home right after the cruise. The reason for this is that you get so used to being pampered on the cruise that it's tough to go back to land travel were you have to worry about dinner and where everything is and how you are going to get there. Where on the ship you don't have to worry about any of that.

Norwegian Gem - Western Mediterranean