3. Coral Princess
This was my 12th cruise and my wifes 11th cruise, she is 27 and I am 30. We chose this cruise based on the fact that neither of us had ever been to any of the ports, so it sounded good. We also picked Princess because we had been on the inaugural year of the Caribbean Princess and absolutely loved it. So we decided this would be the perfect cruise for us. Travel Day We flew from Newport News VA to Fort Lauderdale arriving at 2:30p.m. We were a little worried that we would be late to check in but this worked to our advantage. Embarkation We were pleasantly surprised that there was no line for us to check in and we had not filled out the credit card form online because I didn't know which card I wanted to use, no problem says princess and less than 10 minutes later we were on the ship in our cabin and very happy, by far the smoothest embarkation we had experienced, however we heard if you were earlier it wasn't so smooth. Cabin We had an inside cabin cat. P629. This was our first inside cabin ever. We were shocked at first that it was so small but it ended up being plenty big with more storage area than a balcony cabin that we spent some time in. Everything seemed very well taken care of. We had no problems with noise, a very good location in my opinion because we were very close to the back elevators which never seemed crowded. Ship The Coral Princess was beautiful. She seemed very well cared for, they were painting the anchor while we were docked at Costa Rica. All the public rooms seemed well kept. We enjoyed the explorers lounge, princess theater and the universe lounge. The main dining rooms were nice but not as grand as on RCCL, which I prefer. The two special restaurants were both nice and well maintained. Both pool areas were great and got a lot of use from us. The main pool was the most crowded, however it never seemed as crowded as any of the other main pools on any other cruise we've taken. The spa pool or "adult" pool was also great, it was never crowded when we were there. The decor in the spa pool was beautiful. I do wish they would have opened the roof on a least a couple occasions when it was beautiful outside, the chlorine smell could get bad at times. The hot tubs in the main pool were much better in my opinion than the ones in the spa pool because they were bigger, you could stretch out, and the jets worked in two of them, where as the spa pools hot tubs were BLAZING hot the first day but they did get better, and the jets only worked in one of them. The casino was a good size and they had the new Texas Hold'em tables which were very fun. The shops were o.k. there seemed to be a much bigger selection of stuff on the CB Princess, however they did put out rain jackets on the third straight port with rain. The best part of the Coral Princess in our opinion was the ship never seemed crowded. I'm not sure if it was the passenger age range or just good ship planning, but it was great. Service We thought the service overall on this ship was o.k. Our waitress in the dining room Christiana was awesome. All of the service we had in the dining room was great. The service in the Horizon court was also very good, you never had to look far for a glass of ice tea, water or even a coke if you had the card. All over the ship you never had to look far for a bar server to get you a drink. On that note everyone that you came in contact with on the ship (Stewards,waiters,drink guys and gals) seemed very friendly and willing to help you with anything. Our cabin steward was Melanie and she was fantastic, I was a little worried that our service in an inside cabin might not be as good but I was relieved to find our service so good. My problem with service came from the pursers desk and the cruise directors staff. We will start with the first night of the cruise the NFL football late game was on in the Explorers lounge. It was between the Steelers and Denver I think. We enjoyed watching because I am a huge football fan. I asked one of the entertainment staff if the games were going to be on the following Sunday and she said "oh yeah" So I was relieved. Then comes the following Sunday, no football in the patter so I wait to see if it comes on the t.v. and it does. So I call the pursers desk and ask them to see if there is anywhere they can put the game on so we can watch (I say we, there was about 15 of us who were planning on watching the games together) the pursers desk says there is an art show in the explorers lounge (mind you i was one of what seemed like 20 art shows but I believe the real number is 4) so there was nothing they could do. I asked if there was anywhere else they could put the game,possibly the late game after the art auction, they said they would get back to me. One hour later I call back and they say they have never talked to ME!!! This was after about four phone calls with the same guy NEIL!!! He says he has not talked to me all day. So after many calls and much anger the final answer is the Deputy Cruise Director Stu doesn't not want to change anything and he will not accommodate us. This started a string of poor service between the pursers desk and the cruise staff and us. Princess cancelled Jamaica and offered absolutely nothing in return. We have been on other cruises with cancelled ports and at the very least even Carnival offered us a $50 shipboard credit. Princess nothing. No explanation of why we could not go to any of the five ports we were going to go right by (Roatan, Belize, Cozumel, Cancun, Progresso, anywhere!!). Last but not least my favorite ACD Stu actually lied to my face on the night of Peer Factor. The patter told us to be there at 9:15 to sign up, of course this was right in the middle of my late dinner, but I left to go sign up and no one was there so one of the video guys was very nice and tried to help me find someone finally at 9:30 they finally come out and tell me I can't sign up anyone unless they are there, so then I explain that we are all at dinner they let me sign up. I see Stu on the way back to the dining room and tell him the "young people" are signed up for peer factor, because Stu had asked us earlier in the cruise to make sure we were there. Stu tells me to make sure we are back before the show starts at 9:45. SO I return at 9:40 with the whole crew and see Stu and tell him we are back and he tells me we are too late!!! I was hot! I asked him how, he says "I told you, you had 2 minutes" then some other people who there spoke up and said that wasn't true. Then he lets myself and a friend we had met in the show and proceeds to be rude in front of quite a few people and tell me how I need to thank him and this other guy for doing this!! It was terrible service from them to say the least. Also we had to dock early in FL due to the storm, so everything on the cruise ship shut down around 9:30 even the bars were closed at 11. There were many people who were upset at this. There was nothing to do, so we ended up playing Monopoly. At least that was fun and we weren't being mistreated. That's all for that. Entertainment I thought the entertainment on the cruise was good overall. The vegas style shows were wonderful in my opinion. There were four of them and we saw them all and enjoyed every one of them. There was a comedian a couple nights at the beginning of the cruise we got some laughs, I'd seen better at sea but he was still good. It was disappointing that they didn't have a late night show, actually they never had anything late night except for the disco in the Explorers lounge and that was a disappointment also because DJ Richard played the same 70's music everynight including the Electric Slide twice in one hour??? I like the electric slide but it was overkill on this sailing. We actually requested songs at the disco but DJ Richard would tell us it was going to be 20 or 30 minutes before our songs would get played because he had so many other requests??? There was maybe 20 people there so who put in all these requests? And there was no one on the Dance floor so try changing the music. When he finally would play our songs the dance floor would finally get some people on it. The Sea day entertainment was o.k. ping pong, art auction, golf chipping in the pool, movies, bingo, dance classes, but these were all repeated every sea day and new things were very rare. They did have some guest lectures that we heard were good. They had 2 wine tastings, the first was $10 a person which we attended. The second was $25 and we did not attend that one. The other entertainment at night was the Princess Pop Stars, Ballroom Blitz and even some of the comedian, magic act was planned around 9:30, right in the middle of late dinner. I asked who planned the events and they said ACD Stu, the cruise staff said it was planned this way so that people in late dining could go to the buffet or to one of the specialty restaurants so we could make the show. We didn't find that to be acceptable or appropriate. Dining We found the Food on the Coral to be great in the Bourdeaux dining room and Bayou Cafe, and poor at Horizon Court. We ate in the dining room eight of the 10 nights and the Bayou the other two nights. The dining room was great it had the standard Lobster, Beef wellington, surf and turf, and too many other things to remember. I do remember the food was hot and tasty. The ceaser salad was always delicious as were the deserts, the baked alaska seemed a little too sweet for me. We were sat with a great couple from Wales, they had both done some extensive traveling and had great stories to tell, plus you gotta love their accents, also at our table was a mother with her daughter. They were from Vancouver Canada and were taking this cruise to celebrate the daughters graduation from high school, what a present. We were lucky hat we got sat with some great people, some others were not so fortunate. I'm not sure how they do the seating assignments on Princess but it was definitely not by age. The Bayou Cafe was fabulous, we enjoyed the carpetbaggers filet and the gator ribs,oysters, sausage w/grits, jumbalaya and the fried peach was to die for!!! Us guys ordered the big porterhouse the first time at the bayou and it was nowhere near as good as the filet. Order more than one of the fried peaches because it takes 30 minutes and if your late eating they won't be able to get you another one, trust me your table will want more than one! I actually think the service in the Bayou was not as good as the dining room, it seemed you had to ask for more things like refills on drinks and bread, and it took over 2 hours both times so be prepared, it was definitely worth the $15 though. The horizon court was very disappointing. The buffet seemed to be the same everyday if you weren't there between 11:30 and 1:30 sandwiches, a pasta which was normally the best thing, and the same cookies everyday, they couldn't even change the types of cookies! If you could make it there in the two hours you would get a little more variety. There was always a carving station, mashed potatoes, cubed potatoes, a couple vegetables and a salad bar. The mexican buffet is the only one I can remember that I actually enjoyed. The breakfast buffet was not very good either unless you wanted to wait in line for fresh eggs, the waffles were decent, bacon was not. So I would recommend going to the dining room for breakfast lunch and dinner. The service was always good and the food was too. ALso the pizza was very good, as were the cheeseburgers and fries at the grill, but be prepared they both close at 7 p.m. for some unknown reason. No midnight buffets which kinda stinks. Free ice cream, yeah right. For one hour in the buffet some days otherwise you had to get it at dinner or pay for it. Rarely was anyone paying for it. Since this is Princess and supposed to be upscale from Carnival how come Carnival has free ice cream and 24 hr pizza??? Ports Aruba We did the golf excursion in Aruba. Jerry the golf pro on the ship was very accommodating. We enjoyed the course until it started thundering and then lightning and then the rain. The rain did lighten up and we were able to finish the course. The course was well maintained and very difficult once it got soaked. My wife and I did enjoy it, despite the rain. Cartagena, Columbia We had planned to do the mud volcano, however when we got to the Princess theater to check in we were told it was cancelled due to the downpour and we could book another tour, however there was much chaos at the desk to change your tour, after looking outside and seeing nothing but pouring rain, we decided to book a couples massage for later in the day. Princess did decide to refund anyone who didn't want to go on their excursion and gave everyone who did go half off of theirs, I thought this was a nice gesture considering, the tickets say tours go on rain or shine. The CD added a movie "Fracture" in the middle of the day which was enjoyable. The couples massage was great, however we did miss Columbia and we were looking forward to it. Panama We woke up at 6:30 to enjoy the Panama Canal. We met some friends in their balcony cabin and enjoyed the views for the next few hours. The canal was very fascinating to me. It's a sight everyone should see, amazing. We had a nice morning with only light sprinkles. Of course once we got of of the ship in Gatun lake it started raining. We did the Rainforest hike and it definitely was a rainforest. We were not able to do the whole hike due to the rain, we did get to tour an old fort right on the Atlantic ocean. The fort was awesome even in the rain. We did get do some hiking where we saw some monkeys and lots of birds, flowers and butterflies. The port of colon seemed very poor so when we got back to the ship we did not head back out, there are some shops right by the ship for local souvenirs. Limon, Costa Rica I don't know what happened in Costa Rica but God must have shined down on us because what do you know the sun was out!!!! Hallelujah!! This was by far our best port and it wasn't just the sun. We had met some friends from Cruise Critic who had booked an outside tour and invited us to come along. The tour they booked was thru Oscar Brown Tours and it was the best $105 dollars I have spent! Oscar actually gave us the tour himself. There was 8 of us. We had a mini-bus to ourselves. Oscar took us to one of his friends houses where we got to sample coconuts and cocoa. We also got to hold a sloth!! That was amazing! After that stop we headed off to the zipline. The zipline was sweet, very personal service there. This is a different zipline than the one sold on the ship, however there was a few former employees of the other zipline and they said this one was better. It didn't matter to me. The zipline was unbelievable. There were 10 different line and the 2nd and the last one were both crazy. After the zipline we went to the banana plantation where we got to see the bananas come all the way from the tree to the box. Remarkable to say the least. After that we went to do an eco-river cruise which was also great. We saw 2 sloths, all kinds of birds, bats and iguanas. It was a nice break from the rain. Then Oscar took us to this great restaurant that overlooked the whole harbor, what a view! The food was o.k. but the company was great! We headed into town, where Oscar took some of our party to the market because they wanted some coffee and he said this was the cheapest place to get the best. Oscar Brown was outstanding, anyone who is going to Costa Rica should definitely look him up, he has a website and his tour are top notch. Thanks Dave for the connection. Ocho Rios, Jamaica Guess what? Tropical Storm Noel said we aren't going to Jamaica. As I stated before Princess gave no compensation except $8 refund of port charges. Princess also gave no explanation of why we could not go to any other ports. Tidbits Most passengers on this cruise were older which is to be expected. Even having this expectation I was still surprised that there were only 6 couples in our age range 20's- 30's most I would say are in there 60's. Luckily we met a couple and hit it off well with them or we might have gone crazy. We ended up the last three sea days playing Clue and Monopoly in the card room because at 11 p.m. the ship entertainment was over unless you want to gamble. Don't get late dinner unless you want to miss half of the entertainment. Final Thoughts Even though this was our worst cruise out of 11, we still had a blast! We met some great people and had some great experiences. I can't say I will sail on Princess again or recommend them after our experience. We would do another panama canal cruise hopefully with better weather. We did think this was a great value for 10 days averaging around $100 a day per person for the cruise. Hopefully Princess will listen to our comment card and fix the entertainment fiasco and treat people a little better at the pursers desk. Coral Princess is great ship, easy to get around, rarely seemed crowded. Crew was very friendly. Looking forward to our next cruise, to bad it won't be on Princess.

Coral Princess - Central America/Panama Canal