3. Norwegian Dawn
This was our 11th cruise, 5th on NCL, and second time on the Dawn. It was our first weekend cruise. My wife surprised me with this trip and we traveled with two of our closest friends. Embarkation: We left the Boston area at 5:25 am on Friday. We arrived to the pier in NYC at 9:40 am. The drive down was terrific and somehow we missed the rush hour traffic for Boston, Hartford, and NYC. We arrived at the check-in area at the Manhattan Pier and were greeted with the news that there was a Noro-like virus that infected about 5% of the passengers and crew on the NCL Dawn last week. We received a statement in writing with an offer of a credit if we chose not to sail this week. The actual embarkation was not going to occur until 1:00pm because the crew was performing extra cleaning in all areas. We decided to stay and take the cruise and were glad that did. The cruise was an excellent experience and a fun weekend away. Food: We enjoyed all of our meals on this cruise. Since this was our second time on the Dawn, we had a plan on the restaurants that we wanted to try. We first ate dinner in Venetian as soon as we boarded. I ordered the Tilapia and it was excellent. We all enjoyed a nice leisurely lunch by the back window. We ate dinner at Le Bistro on Friday evening. We have been to this restaurant on all of our NCL cruises and consider it our favorite. We all chose the lobster and shrimp martini, escargot, and short ribs and filet for our main course. Everything was once again perfectly done and the service was superb. We asked for chocolate fondue and fruit for dessert and although it is no longer on the menu, it was delivered with a smile and was delicious. This was a great way to introduce our friends to NCL and freestyle cruising. We had a nice hot breakfast delivered by the butler on Saturday morning. I had Eggs Benedict and fresh fruit which were very good. This was a nice treat for us and everything was hot and got our morning off to a good start. Bamboo, Teppanyaki, and Cagney's were all open for lunch on this cruise. Back in August, Bamboo, the Asian restaurant, was my least favorite of all of my meals. We decided to give it another try and I was glad that I did. It was delicious and the portions were large. However, the service was quite slow and the head waiter came over and apologized for this. We were not too upset as we were enjoying the company and conversation. I had the lemon chicken for my main course and it was worth the wait. It was a two hour lunch but we really did not care. It gave us the opportunity to spend quality time with our friends in a nice atmosphere. We had dinner in Impressions of Italy. The Caesar salad, minestrone soup, and beef dish was excellent and the service was again superb. All of our meals were as good and some even better than we experienced on our week on the Dawn back in August. It was a nice surprise because for some reason I was prepared for things to be not up to the standards we experienced on longer cruises. This was not accurate in our experience. All of the crew that we encountered went out of their way to make our weekend enjoyable. Entertainment: We did not go to any shows in the Stardust Theater. We did go and see Fire and Ice, a singing group from Barbados. Rosie and Max can sure fill up a room! She has such an incredible singing voice and we first saw them on the Dawn in August. If you have a chance to see her perform do not miss it. She sings Tina Turner, Diana Ross, Gladys Knight, and others. We also participated in the Quest. It was a lot of fun and definitely an adults only show. If you are up for a good laugh and want to have some fun you must add this to your "to do" list. Public Areas: We found that the public areas were very clean. The Noro-like virus from the previous week prompted a thorough cleaning of all the public areas. Although this delayed our embarkation, it was evident that lots of cleaning had taken place. The Casino was filled with smoke for most of the weekend. Although I am not a smoker, I can be around it without any problems if I choose to. I found it hard to stay in there for very long. Stateroom: We stayed in an AB Penthouse suite. This was our second time in this cabin this year and we knew what to expect. It is a great place to stay and it is my favorite cabin on a cruise ship with 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, living and dining area, and balcony. The master bath has a huge shower and a Jacuzzi. It is a comfortable cabin and at over 550 square feet offered lots of room for the 4 of us. Penthouse Perks: I will self describe us as people who are easy to please. We do not ask for much but do enjoy some of the services of the concierge and butler. Michael, the concierge and his assistant Johnny were very helpful and got us the dining room reservations that we wanted. Anshuman, the butler, came in to introduce himself after I called him. He told me that on the weekend cruises, we will not receive the perks that we received back in August (we did have another butler in August). He told me that there was no complimentary champagne (this actually arrived to the cabin about 30 minutes after our conversation), no in-suite dining, and no suite menu breakfasts. When I told him that we already had our dining reservations and that we only wanted a hot breakfast in the suite, he said that he could do this. He got the menus and instructed us to put whatever we wanted and leave it on the table in the suite and he will get it. We had a great breakfast in the suite on Saturday morning. Anshuman never came to get the menu on Saturday evening for Sunday's breakfast. This was not a big deal for us and we decided to eat in Venetian before we left the ship. Debarkation: We arrived back to NYC at about 8:00 as we were eating our breakfast by the back window of the Venetian dining room. The NCL Spirit followed us in and the NCL Crown was ahead of us. With 3 NCL ships in port, the pier was bound to be busy. However, at about 9:00 am it was announced that we could leave. The Freestyle requested that we leave the ship by 9:00am. I do not remember reading this on the longer cruises and were planning to leave about that time anyway. We gathered our things and in about 15 minutes, we were off the ship and leaving in our car at 9:25 am. We enjoyed our weekend away on the Dawn. We will definitely consider another 2 day cruise out NYC or Boston in the future.

Norwegian Dawn - Cruise to Nowhere

Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review by jimswims

• Sail Date: October 2007
  • Destination: Nowhere
  • Cabin Type: Two-Bedroom Family Suite with Balcony
Embarkation:
The cruise was an excellent experience and a fun weekend away.
Food: