3. Adventure of the Seas
Adventure of the seas, Aug. 26-Sept 2/07 This was our 3rd cruise in the last 4 years. First was RCL-Explorer and second was Celebrity Century. I think Celebrity spoiled us for life. Definitely this cruise had pros and cons. We did enjoy ourselves very much, but don't think we will pick this type of ship again. First I will mention that we had 2 nights at the Condado Plaza, San Juan. When I was reading reviews, I was interested where people had stayed so that is why I mention it. Yes, this hotel is under construction, and we were apprehensive about staying there. I had emailed the manager ahead and he promised me that we would be taken care of including an upgrade. He sure did!!! We were very pleased with our room, were never Bothered by any noise like others had mentioned. The bed was the biggest we had ever slept in and the most comfortable, amazing! The views were great which is why I wanted to stay there, right on the ocean. The hotel staff knew me by name, and were always really pleasant and helpful. Hats off to the two reception people, I think they were Maryann and Evelyn...terrific!!!! Thank you Henry for looking after us like you promised. Your hotel will be beautiful when it's finished. On to the ship.!!!! Boarded early, 11:30, no long lines at all. All went smooth. The ship was clean and well maintained. Always someone was cleaning. Entertainment- Mike the CD was the funniest and the best we have ever had before this. He was such a natural and a born comedian. He was always out and about and did a great job at the Quest. The cruise director and his staff presented us with a routine called the "Fountain" I won't give it away for you upcoming cruisers...but don't miss it. Room- we had a last minute upgrade to a junior suite, aft. We really enjoyed the view and the balcony. Plenty of room and storage area for the 4 of us. Room steward Knight, did a fine job for us .He was always peeking around a corner for a quick hello or running down the hall to open the door for us. Very sweet man. My red dress was not returned with the laundry and after leaving him a note, it was placed in our cabin while we were at dinner. We did have one request that he could not accommodate, which was a jug of water in the room. We had the ice bucket daily, but water had to be ordered from room service and there would be a charge. I really started feeling nickel and dime to death when I heard that. About aft cabins- we had deck 7, and yes it had the funny structure, but we really thought the room and balcony were neat, so don't worry if you don't get prime spot being deck 9 or 10. We enjoyed watching the crew, the flag man each port and of course the view. We did spend quite a bit of time there each evening before retiring. We would order a bucket of beer for our room and enjoyed those on the balcony too. The crew quarters were within sight and heard them a few times. Nothing unpleasant, but we really enjoyed watching the couple early in the morning seeing the Pitons. It helped to add to our excitement in what we were viewing as well. They were sooo excited it was really neat. Dinning- this would be a major disappointment for all of us at the table. We really did not enjoy the windjammer, and there were nights when there really wasn't anything on the menu that interested us in the dinning room. The WOW factor was not there. By mid week, it did improve. The grilled porkchop was great, lobster was nice and tender, and the final steak they served was lovely. The soups were really good, really enjoyed them. I did have one night where the steak was awful and didn't eat much. Most food was served slightly cold instead of warm. Our head waiter Emry was by far the best we had ever had. He visited our table every night and did ask if we were enjoying the food. When we spoke up and said we were somewhat disappointed, he did say that they would be changing the menu soon. We used to be able to order things like shrimp cocktail every night if we wanted them. This time it was offered twice. We could definitely see how they are cutting corners. Our waiter was Mejit and asst was Roy. Both did a fine job and went the extra mile when they could. Terrific service. When Mejit knew we weren't too impressed with the menu, he offered us a surprise in our cabin the next day. Our table mates- lovely family from California expressed their likeness for chocolate covered strawberries. We all received a lovely fruit bowl and a plate full of dipped strawberries. Nice of him to do that, and much appreciated. Speaking of our tablemates, we have two girls and they have two boys the same ages. They put up with our girls and they all hung out in the evenings. We even ended up seated together for some of the shows and participated in family feud. Thanks Nancy for being such a great sport. Yes, we won the feud so it really made the night special!! Your family is wonderful. Nice to make new friends on a trip like this!!!!! Hopefully we meet again. Room service tip- we ordered chicken wings one night. Be aware, we ordered 2 orders and they asked for how many people. I replied for 4. We received 2 plates with 4 chicken wings on each plate. I guess they figured 2 each were sufficient. Not quite what we had in mind to go with the beer, but that is what we got. (Gee, another cut back???) No problem with the morning delivery of our coffee and tea for the balcony. How wonderful!!!! By the way, the O.J. in the windjammer is more like a water juice. If you want the real thing, freshly squeezed, it costs you $2.95 a glass. What you order from room service in the morning,it is real O.J. Delicious!!!! No charge. Ports- it was a very busy week but we loved it. First cruise all we did was shop. Second trip we had a few excursions. This one was all about the beaches!! And how sweet they were. Barbados had so much fun at Malibu break, taking the rum tour and we swam for hours on a lovely beach. Water was so warm and clear, it was great. (booked with the ship) St. Lucia was a day trip with Cosol tours. He is terrific and we had a great time. I loved St. Lucia. Hi-light was swimming at the beach between the Pitons....wow....beautiful. Our cabin was awesome for the early morning view of the Pitons. We happened to wake up right as they were right outside our balcony. How wonderful is that!!!!! Other reviews said they didn't get much to eat or drink. Cosol takes care of you the entire day. Plenty of food stops and drink stops. If you like to drink, it's all unlimited. Have as much as you want no worries. He really was a great host. We must of had 8 vans all in a convoy, and most stops we were all together. Food was set up at different places and they were only for Cosol tour people. Antigua we had to miss. Much too tired after our early morning rise for the Pitons and the late bedtime after staying up to watch the Quest. We hopped off the ship and wandered a bit and then spent the day having the boat to ourselves by the pool. We will have to do this island again. It looked very flat, unlike the other islands. St. Maarten we saved for our shopping and enjoyed the buck a beer by the water. It was a fun day for the 4 of us. We swam in the water right near where the boat was parked and still loved it. Very nice beach. St. Thomas we swam in Meagan's bay and lucked out with a lovely lady for our taxi driver. She gave us a mini island tour and went up to Mountain top to enjoy the view and of course have a banana daiquiri and then were dropped off for some shopping by the pier. This island I definitely want to return to. (As well as St... Lucia) Beautiful lush island with beautiful color flowers too. Loved it. Ask for Winifred when you need a taxi, she was super. Overall- the ship staff was great. Everyone really friendly. Very hard working staff. The captain is quiet entertaining, very funny with his comments. Menu selections were not always appealing, food was usually on the cold side. Missed the sandwich bar that had been on Explorer, so felt quiet limited with choices. Entertainment was not as good as we remembered it being on the Explorer, but it was enjoyable most nights. The RCL singers and dancers, were great at the dancing but there Singing was terrible. Simon Cowell would have had a hay day. Ice Skating show was terrific, and they had only performed it 2 weeks up to that point. Quest I slept through on the Explorer but made sure I did not miss on this one. What a hoot. So much fun. This ship really had a laid back attitude which we liked. They didn't make a big deal of the mandatory St. Thomas custom check or departure from the ship. Appreciated both. Some people had commented about the Puerto Ricans. We had no problems what so ever. All we met were very friendly so no issues there. So we loved the islands and the beaches, but did not have a lot of time to use what all the ship had to offer. With the kids being older now, I think its time we go back to Celebrity or try a Radiance style ship. We don't need the larger boats. We met a lot of really nice people and up to this, had only cruised with family, but really enjoyed our new tablemates. Met several fellow Canadians, and were of course welcomed with open arms. How nice. Adventure of the seas is a fun ship, so you shouldn't be disappointed in either itinerary. We take away another trip with great memories...and yes...we are going through withdrawal. If we had only brought Knight the stateroom guy home with us!!!!!

Adventure of the Seas - Southern Caribbean