3. Adventure of the Seas
Adventure of the Seas -Southern Caribbean -19 August 2007 Unfortunately, I found this site long after we got back from our cruise! Too bad, I would have known all details and tips... Anyway, excuse my english, since I m from Greece. Sunday 19th of August Loooong flight to San Juan from Athens-Greece, via Madrid. At 5:00 pm easy embarkation with no lines, off to our cabin #7297 overlooking Royal Promenade street (stateroom for handicapped people so it was huge!!) At 6:00pm there was a compulsory mustering drill, where everyone should wear the life jackets and go out to the indicated deck. This lasted about 15-20mins. After that I had to find the maitre d' in order to change our seating from 6pm to 8.30pm (as we, Greeks are not used to dine this early!) They told us that they would answer the next day and that for the first night we had to dine at 6!! So here we are with our (really early) morning clothes, dining in a super dining room. Anyway, this did not spoil our enthusiasm. We ate fast as we were eager to begin exploring this huge ship. We missed the welcome aboard show as we were wandering around to discover all the places that we read on the brochures (found the small chapel, the sports court, the golf court the in-line skating track, the pools, bars etc. Of course after being up almost 24hrs we head to our cabin and gladly found out that our luggage was there. Monday 20th day at sea... Early exercise! at the gym and breakfast at Vivaldi dining room was super! Fun by the pool, Mr. Sexy legs contest and dancing lessons with Caribbean music! Light lunch at Windjammer and first formal night. Tuesday 21st-Aruba Sights and Swim excursion with a bus took us to some of the sights of the island such as rock formations, natural bridge and California Lighthouse, then onto Eagle Beach which was great but the waters very cloudy! After that, back to the ship and walk in Oranjestad to do some shopping. Wednesday 22nd Curacao, we missed our 9.00am jeep safari as we could not find the chief of the excursion. Anyway they told us that we could do it at 1.00pm so visit the colorful city of Willemstad (shopping souvenirs) and back to the ship for the Jeep Safari. I did not enjoy as much as the others as we paid 75$each for a tour in the desert part of the island, see some cacti trees and be in a cave with bats!! Finally we ended this tour with a small stop at a wonderful beach (I think it was Blue Bay) for a quick swim. This was the best part of this excursion. (Aruba and Curacao are two islands that I d reconsidered to visit and stay for a longer period than 2 days) Thursday 23rd day at sea by the pool after some exercise at the gym. Caribbean music, Men s International Belly flop Contest and cocktails... Friday 24th My husband s birthday and here we are in St. Maarten taking an excursion to Marigot (which is the capital of the French side of the island) and then to Orient Bay a famous beach. Marigot was beautiful, better than Philpsburg (capital of the Dutch side of the island) and Orient beach was ok but it was too windy and the sea too wavy. Back to the ship and just before getting of the bus heavy rain started. We got all wet and I caught a cold because of the high air condition when we entered into the ship. Saturday 25th and right before we go out and visit St Thomas (best island of all) we have to pass through immigration, which is a simple procedure. The excursion was the Ultimate island experience and it was! With a semi-open bus we drove up to some hills from where we could see almost all the island. Then we went to the most beautiful beach I have ever seen (and I m from Greece) Magens Bay... Magical, amazing beach with white sand crystal waters and not crowded. We only enjoyed the first hour of our stay since it started to rain again! Too bad! After 30 minutes the rain stopped and sun was up again. Then we drove back to Charlotte Amalie, visit Blackbeard s castle and after 99 steps (easy ones) you are downtown. Souvenirs shopping and back to the ship for the last sail away experience for this summer. HIGHLIGHTS: Definitely Mike Szwajkowski the cruise director an amazing guy full of energy that made us laugh all the time. We miss him already. Manolis Kampanakis Food and Beverage Manager, the only Greek person in the crew. We are so much obliged since he made our trip unforgettable with all his treats. FOOD: EXCELLENT in all places. Windjammer for breakfast and lunch Ah! the endless buffets…. spoiled us. Cafe at the Promenade with pastries, sandwiches, pizza, cakes and cookies and great coffee (open 24hrs) The huge dining room was incredible; too bad I didn't take the menus with me.(Derya from Turkey and Cecilia from Philippines fulfilled all our culinary wishes) Portofino's the ultimate culinary experience! (only 20$ pp) Manolis, made a reservation for us for Friday night and my husbands birthday will not be forgotten. Champagne, French wine and a birthday cake along with the birthday song from all the waiters…. Unforgettable moments, unforgettable experience! ENTERTAINMENT : EXCELLENT! Great shows, tried to go every night Don't miss EL GAUCHO, the guy is super! (Try NOT to be the one who picks to perform his act!!) Singers and dancers performance was really good. Don't miss: Love and Marriage game show with Mike at his best! FOUNTAINS right next was hysterical!! Don't miss it! And of course COOL ART HOT ICE show…. How do skaters manage to perform in such a small ring?? The Quest game show at Studio B, could not stand up from the laughs also with Mike as host! Jester s night club loved the music specially when it was the 80s night. SHIP: As this was our first cruise, we cannot make comparisons. Overall it was a great experience and probably the best vacations we have ever had!(and the most expensive ones!) Will be back next year probably on the same ship. (when I will loose all the kilos gained on this cruise!)

Adventure of the Seas - Southern Caribbean