3. Splendour of the Seas
We arrived a day early and spent the night at the Harbor House Hotel. It was our second stay there and would recommend it to everyone, large, nice rooms and a very pleasant and helpful staff. It is so nice to see the ships come and go from your room window and being so close to everything makes it especially nice. On the day of departure, we drove to the pier, dropped off the wife and the luggage and drove back to the Harbor House to park. Then I walked back to the terminal where we waited for around 30 minutes before they allowed us to start boarding, which I must say was the quickest and best we have ever encountered. They even served us lemonaide or water while we waited. After boarding the ship, we went to our room to drop off our carry-on luggage when there was a knock on the door, our luggage was there and it was only 12:10. Another first...way to go RCI. After that we went to the Windjammer and met with some fellow CC members for lunch. I don't understand why we have heard so many people complain about the food while on board. We found everything good, well presented and warm. The only complaint we have on the food is that there was no lobster night. Ooops, we didn't try the dreaded Ranch Steak but heard it was not too good from those who did try it. I don't know why RCI doesn't remove that from the menu, heck, they could replace it with anything. Now for the service: we have only sailed on the Rhapsody twice before so our cruise experience is not bountiful, but we found EVERYONE on board extremely courteous, friendly, and happy. The service we received was FANTASTIC. These people just couldn't do enough it seemed. Our Waiter "Adrian" was exceptional, Peter our asst. waiter was terrific, and our Head Waiter was the best we have ever had. The bar tenders were very nice but we were very dissappointed with the drinks served around the pool. They were small and served in a little plastic glass which I think of as a juice size glass. There were no souvineer glasses like on our previous cruises which is another thing we did not like. All of our days at sea were great even though we had somewhat rough seas. The ships sailed smoothly but there was a constant vibration at all times while on board. It is something they are aware of but I do not think that they are concerned about fixing the problem. It reminded me of the stories I had heard about Carnival's Celebration last year. I find that a shame. Now for the BAD News: when arriving in the port of Cozumel, the Captain made a severe turn during the time we were eating breakfast. There was total mayhem, dishes, plates and silverware flew off the tables, crashing and breaking on the floors. Some glassware even flew off the balcony and landed on top of the Grand Piano on the main dining area. Chairs oveturned sliding across the aisles. Many people were literally scared to death. Needless to say, breakfast was a long time coming and we were told by the waiters that the kitchen was a huge mess, I can only imagine, but I do know that they ran low on ketchup and steak sauce as most of it was broken when it fell from the pantry. Almost forgot, we were 2 1/2 hours late arriving in Cozumel, which was not good news for anyone having excursions and especially bad for those of us who had booked them independently. It is my feeling that us being late was in a big way the fault of the captain, but I must repeat, we did have some rough seas and some large winds also, so I cannot blame him entirely. I did notice however that during the night we were cruising at a speed of 19.2 knots which is below normal cruising speed. We booked our excursion with Adrian Romero, which was an all day excursion which included, a little shopping, a tour of the island, visiting his restaurant, the tortilla factory, a two reef snorkel, I can't tell you how many margaritas, lunch at coconuts, and then he returned us to the terminal. Adrian is one terrific guy and would reccomend him to anyone. More BAD NEWS, the next stop was Costa Maya, well we arrived there but could not dock, even after two attempts, so we were taken back to Cozumel for about a 4 hour stop that afternoon. What bothers me most about this is that I have learned from a friend in Majahual (nitrogenaddict) that two other ships were able to dock that day. I have been told that had we waited another 10 minutes we would have been able to dock. That I definately blame on our Captain, one with whom I will NEVER SAIL WITH AGAIN. Don't get me wrong, we love RCI, just not the Spendour or the Captain. If you have any questions feel free to email me and ai will try to answer.

Splendour of the Seas - Western Caribbean