3. Celebrity Summit
We were a group of eight that took the 5-day land tour option #6 followed by a southbound Summit Cruise August 6-17th. It was our second cruise - the first with celebrity for my husband and I. My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed the trip and would use the cruise line again. Our group ranged in age from 22 to 78. We all enjoyed the trip. The 2 2& 25 year olds expected a younger crowd - despite warnings to the contrary but faired well. If they had been on their own they probably would have felt out of place. ARRIVAL: Went smoothly considering we filled two buses. It was a short ride to the hotel. Note that when you verify your luggage check be sure and for damage - the airline smashed one case in our group but it was not discovered until we reached the hotel - too late to make a claim. FAIRBANKS: Hotel (Sophie's Station) room was nice - large and clean. There is a free shuttle to many locations. It is about a half-mile walk to a Fry's. We ate dinner at the deli there and stocked up on snacks, beverage for the land portion and out wine allotment for the cruise. Hint - one clever couple brought boxed wine. It packs well and holds more! Riverboat tour was a bit quaint but enjoyable with lovely weather. Though very contrived I enjoyed the panning for gold much more than I anticipated. DENALI: Train ride was nice .I took too many photos. Tour thru Denali was long (8 hours) and the ride uncomfortable. I had no issue with the boxed lunch and realize the bus had to be a basic school bus style to navigate the winding road. Be on the driver's side if you do not like being on the edge if a cliff on a winding road. Just enough clouds to obscure a view of "The Mountain." We sighted quite a bit of wild life - most of it a ways away. It sort of turned into a spot the caribou contest. As there is really no other way to see so much of the park quickly, the ride was unfortunately our best bet. TALKENNETA: Loved the bus ride with the view of "The Mountain" clearing on the ride to the hotel way too many photos. Hotel was lovely- the view spectacular. No sleep peeking at the view all night. More photos in morning - sky and views were so clear. Frustrating wait to have luggage properly delivered. ANCHORAGE/SEWARD: Ride to Anchorage was about 3 hours. Stop there brief for lunch about 90 min. Then it was on to Seward to directly board the ship. EMBARKATION: arrived about 2 pm to a large crowed and little help or clear direction. Asking a lot of questions and with some temporary confusion we located the correct line to check in given we had a suite reserved. Once in the correct location it went quickly- probably 30 minutes total to get on the ship. ROOM LOCATION: Probably should have picked a room on the 9th floor- deep overhang above 9th floor obscures view of sky (It would have sheltered us had the weather been poor.) But be careful some rooms on 8th floor have a contraption that seems to service the lifeboats blocking the view. I also picked the portside to view land on the southbound trip. In retrospect it really did not mater much as we approached Hubbard Glacier head on and we were to far out at other times for much of a view. The inside passage was close in on both sides. I abhor smoke and the Portside allows smoking on the balcony so I was often forced back in the room ROOM: Sky suite 9111. Well laid out plenty of room for storage. Woodwork is gleaming and fixtures look nice. Carpet and upholstered furniture needs to be replaced. Step up into bathtub would be difficult for some and results in a low clearance so that anyone over 6 ft tall would have difficulty showering. Others had CC room, Ocean view room and inside room. Basically the same story with less space of course but still well laid out. Other rooms had showers. SHIP: In very good shape for its age. Nicely decorated, ongoing up keep noted. We thought we felt a lot of movement given how smooth the waters were. It was a relief that we had no apparent propulsion issues given other posts I had read. SERVICE: Excellent. We do not ask much of a butler so I cannot attest to extras - but he was attentive and fulfilled the expected tasks. His accent and that of our assistant water made communication a bit difficult. Room attendant was exceptional - room promptly made and cleaned. Towels changed twice a day. Virtually invisible - efficient. Dinning service was enthusiastic and attentive. We received a special request encore of the crème brulee for our whole table after we swooned over tasting the ones ordered on day two. FOOD: Good variety. Our first time cruisers were awestruck. The buffet is a bit confusing and takes some effort to get the hang so you can take full advantage of it. Not too surprising given the size of the buffet. In the main dinning room for dinner fish and beef tended to be a bit over cooked. I am not good at confrontation here and in retrospect wish I had been more assertive. One individual in our group spoke up and received a second seafood meal properly cooked. The next day his beef was almost mooing. When you consider the task of food preparation for so many it is not shocking that they would tend to err on the side of overdone. Some were bothered seeing dinner entrées morphed into a dish for the lunch buffet. I have no problem with that - I abhor waste and you might get a second chance at what you missed the day before. ENTERTAINMENT: Celebrity singers and dancers - good enough. Happily they sang on key - a sticking point with me. Amusing but not a show I would have returned to if not for the aerial act, which was awesome. Trivia was fun. We all enjoyed the comedian Louis Johnson. Many activities we skipped due to lack of interest, time or energy. EXTRA EXCURSIONS: Land based Arctic Circle flight- unique. Not what I expected. It was not touristy and was educational. My husband really enjoyed it - and the nap on the flight back. It made for a very long day returning at 1 AM Alaska Time which was 5 AM at home and the second day of our tour. Glacier landing at Talkeetna was regrettably canceled due to a mushy Glacier We rescheduled with a helicopter landing in Juneau on Mendenhall. This was short but a unique experience we will always remember. Pilot was much less adventurous than the pilot we had in St Lucia reassuring for a very nervous rookie rider in our family. Yukon Exploration and White Pass Scenic Railway- Long day. Alaska is so big it just requires a lot of driving. Excellent weather gave us good views and a good taste of the country. Poor weather would have made for a disappointing trip. The stop for lunch was Ok but we were bothered by the condition of the dogs at the sled ride tourist trap located there. It was just sad. Forest and Nature Tram- Icy Strait has limited options- this would have been a bust but for the Bear and her cub that wandered out on the beach we were exploring. The staff understandably ushered us back on the tram and we returned a few minutes early. Alaska Undersea Tour- I did not expect much so I was not disappointed. Viewing was very limited. It seems a rare sunny day in Ketchikan makes for cloudy underwater viewing. Topside tour was better. DISEMBARKATION: I think we had a service because we were grouped with our family members who had an inside room. The CC class couple went to a different nicer location to wait. I need to ask them how it went. Celebrity damaged a bag - but it was not worth the time and hassle to report it. It popped on the seam so I may be able to repair it. Problems - over cooked food, sky suite shower height, slow disembarkation. Surprise plusses- weather (I know Celebrity had nothing to do with that). I like crème brulee. We had a lovely Dinning room table (#400) next to the Captain's table - near the large windows. Suite was fun but It will be a while before we splurge again like that. We wanted a larger balcony for the group.

Celebrity Summit - Alaska

Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by GLM

• Sail Date: August 2007
  • Destination: Alaska
Glacier landing at Talkeetna was regrettably canceled due to a mushy Glacier

Problems - over cooked food, sky suite shower height, slow disembarkation.
GLM’s Full Rating Summary