3. Norwegian Star
I won't do a day by day or a play by play, but let me just say that Norwegian is the best. My husband and I, travelling with my husband's parents arrived in Honolulu on July 4, 2003. We did the usual things, check into the hotel, walk around, have dinner, etc. My husband and I were bound and determined to see the fireworks in Waikiki, and did. It wasn't as good as we are used to seeing in Washington, DC, but that atmosphere was much better! We boarded the Star with no trouble, we used the Latitudes lines, and enjoyed the convenience, and shorter line. My inlaws had to wait in the other line, but weren't delayed that much behind us. Since we boarded on 7/6 - which was our first anniversary (honeymoon was spent on NCL Wind in Alaska's inside passage), we would have waited in line all day, just to be on the boat. The synopsis includes, getting to Hilo, taking the Volcano tour, and walking on lava that was flowing 3 months prior, taking pictures with the now famous speed limit signs almost covered in lava. While we were out about 3/4 of a mile on the lava flow, you could see a storm coming, and of course we got caught in it. Not exactly my favorite part of the trip, but memorable none the less. Fanning Island was truly a delight - if you could get past the commercialization that NCL has done there. We brought sun glasses, and toys for the kids. They were very friendly, and very much "hams" when you got your camera out. We enjoyed the visit very much. We did the obligatory playing bingo, and sitting by the pool. We were a little disappointed by the "marking your territory" of people putting towels on chairs, and leaving for hours. But, that's not NCL's fault. That's other people being rude. We enjoyed Lahaina and Kauai very much also. In Kauai we took a shuttle to Wal-Mart of all places. My husband and I like to go places like that to see what the cost of living is. $7 for a gallon of milk and we were floored!! While we were there, we bought some wine (sorry we didn't buy more since it is so wonderful). We brought it back on the ship, and it was never taken from us. We never experienced the alcohol policy. One thing we did experience, that most people don't is the medical center. Sadly, I began to miscarry after we left Fanning Island. It is a terrifying thought to be 1000 miles from the nearest ANYTHING, and facing such a situation. I have to say, the Dr. on board was very very kind and compassionate. Not that anyone takes that into account when they book their cruise, but it's good to know if you ever do need it. The only thing that we didn't really like was the Cruise Director, Patty. We felt that she was loud enough with the microphones!! Some people are just 'too' perky! Overall though, we loved Hawaii, and got to take a little bit of all the islands. We love NCL, and recommend them highly!

Norwegian Star - Cruise to Nowhere