3. Crown Princess
This being my fourth cruise in twenty years, and my first on the Crown Princess, I have to say that my trip this time was very disappointing. From the poor customer service due to over crowding on the ship, to additional charges for even ice cream, I felt that my wallet was being held 'Hostage on the High Seas.' In addition, even though the staff was highly pleasant and eager to please, the rudeness and the display of selfishness of the on board passengers certainly made up for it. Lines existed for most amenities, and forget about booking a dinner in one of the private restaurants. The earliest that they could seat us in the Italian Sabatini's was at 9:30, the next to last evening of the cruise. Of course there were plenty of bars on board in case you got thirsty. Drinks average for a modest 7.50 each. Cokes went for two bucks a can and espresso and cappuccinos went for about $3. You can purchase unlimited soft drink cards and 15 specialty coffee cards on board the ship. This is considered extra and you have to pay for it. Don't expect the tap cokes to taste anything like the real thing because they don't. They taste more like sugar water than anything else. You can also purchase an ice cream sundae card on board as well. The Mock tail cards were also available for sale. These are specialty drinks like coco locos and strawberry margaritas made without the alcohol. Hamburgers and hot dogs were served on the deck near the pool. They didn't taste good. The hot dogs were more like big fat Bratwursts and didn't resemble anything like a NYC dog. The hamburgers tasted funny and the buns were stale. You can tell that these were probably not made fresh aboard ship. Upon entering our stateroom we noticed that the carpeting was worn and that there were scuffmarks all over one of the walls. In the evenings, our daughter's bunk bed was extended down from the ceiling, over half of our double twin bed. The bunk bed came down to about 4 1/2 feet off the floor. My wife kept hitting her head on the bed ever time that she either sat up in bed or had to get in and out of it. Access to the drawer on that side of the bed was pretty hard to get to since you had to crouch down really low to get access. My daughter had fractured her leg the week before ice-skating and it was difficult getting her in and out of bed as you can imagine. The stateroom door was also too narrow for the wheel chair that we had to buy for this trip. Princess has stated in a letter to me that there are a limited number of wheelchairs available onboard each of their ships for passengers to use during their cruise. I was notified of this fact by a letter that I received at home from Princess during our cruise at sea. Concerning dining room menus, certainly the food was decent by my standards, but some of the selections were either too esoteric, or exotic for my tastes, especially on Chef's night. They also charged me a $15 corkage fee for the wine that I brought to the table. I usually like light Italian wines provided by select local areas in Italy and have them delivered to my local distributor for purchase. I trust their taste and quality and found that this is the only dependable way to purchase good tasting wine. The shows were always crowded. Some of the shows in the smaller clubs were difficult to see due to overcrowding. The pool water near the bandstand was always over crowded with people in them making the water cloudy. Oh yes, the deck chairs around the pool always seem to be taken before I would get up there at 9 AM in the morning. One has to wonder about the pool staff receiving tips from the passengers to reserve the seating even though it states by the pool that reserving chairs are prohibited. All in all, a very overly crowded,, rude awakening to the new world of cruising as we have experienced it his time around on Princess. I doubt that my wife and I will be on any Princess cruises every again, since they tend to breed the type of rude, obnoxious, free for all passenger that should be avoided by all.

Crown Princess - Eastern Caribbean